Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Services Sign Up is Back On Line

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

astrotoy

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2013
SF Bay Area
I just noticed the Services Sign Up Button is back. Says I have 22 days to sign up. I am trying to decide between the 4 year service for $1900 and the 8 year for $3800 (assuming that the second four years will be more expensive and currently the amount I will lose in interest is pretty trivial). I live about 40 miles from Fremont, so I don't think I need to pay extra for the ranger service. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also there is an Extended Service Agreement - sounds like an extended warranty for $2500 for 4 years beyond the current warranty. You can sign up for it anytime before 30 days before the end of your warranty, so sounds like no rush. Finally the tire replacement, repair warranty is $700 for 4 years. Any thoughts about that. I do have AAA roadside assistance, but no spare. Thanks.

I purchased the 4 year service for $1900 only. The original 4yr/50K warranty is worded such that Tesla could deny coverage if maintenance is not done, so it makes sense to purchase the first 4 years at a discount. Ranger service is only worthwhile if you live too far to travel to a service center, although with ranger annual maintenance you do not get the tire alignments and rotations. After the original warranty is over, I plan to increase the intervals between maintenance to every calendar year, which in my case may be as much as every 20k miles. I don't need to do it at 12.5K to keep the warranty intact at that point. The extended warranty at $2500 seems overpriced, AND it has a $200 deductible to each covered item being repaired. If you end up trading in or selling, you won't recoup all of it. The tire and wheel coverage is the least worthwhile, and it's issued by an unfamiliar company in Colorado. It only covers tires from Tesla, so after the first set, you are forced to buy them from Tesla with their markup. I'd rather just buy other (probably better) sets at local tire shops or tirerack.com. The wheel coverage only helps if it is bent to the point to NOT holding air. No cosmetic damage is coverage. I think you can go to local tire shops and purchase road hazard insurance on your current tires for less than $100.

I purchased the 4 year service for $1900 only. The original 4yr/50K warranty is worded such that Tesla could deny coverage if maintenance is not done, so it makes sense to purchase the first 4 years at a discount. Ranger service is only worthwhile if you live too far to travel to a service center, although with ranger annual maintenance you do not get the tire alignments and rotations. After the original warranty is over, I plan to increase the intervals between maintenance to every calendar year, which in my case may be as much as every 20k miles. I don't need to do it at 12.5K to keep the warranty intact at that point. The extended warranty at $2500 seems overpriced, AND it has a $200 deductible to each covered item being repaired. If you end up trading in or selling, you won't recoup all of it. The tire and wheel coverage is the least worthwhile, and it's issued by an unfamiliar company in Colorado. It only covers tires from Tesla, so after the first set, you are forced to buy them from Tesla with their markup. I'd rather just buy other (probably better) sets at local tire shops or tirerack.com. The wheel coverage only helps if it is bent to the point to NOT holding air. No cosmetic damage is coverage. I think you can go to local tire shops and purchase road hazard insurance on your current tires for less than $100.

Great point about getting enough to cover the warranty period. In the end I plan on keeping the car for over 8 years so I went ahead and purchased 8 years of service. I already saved money by not getting the 85 so money spent on service was ok. I just had a feeling that tesla will jack up the service price down the road due to inflation or something random

I am told that you can buy a second-four-year maintenance plan any time before the the "first" one fully expires. Has this been confirmed?

No that is the extended warranty. At least according to the site. You have the four packages, and then below there is the extended warranty.

Am I missing something? Why get the 4 yr annual service when the car is already under warrenty for 4yrs 50,000 miles? It doesnt make sense to me to pay for anything except perhaps a service plan once the warrenty expires? Under the description of the service plan items, you get an annual inspection, free wiper blade changes and brake pads, System monitoring, software upgrades, and an annual inspection. Is that worth nearly $500 a year? All those items except the inspection are already included with the purchase of the car. Are they going to halt my future software upgrades? With the amount of braking I actually use, I dont see me getting new brake pads for over 100k miles. My 2009 Prius has $90k miles and I've not yet needed to change brake pads.

Am I missing something? Why get the 4 yr annual service when the car is already under warrenty for 4yrs 50,000 miles? It doesnt make sense to me to pay for anything except perhaps a service plan once the warrenty expires? Under the description of the service plan items, you get an annual inspection, free wiper blade changes and brake pads, System monitoring, software upgrades, and an annual inspection. Is that worth nearly $500 a year? All those items except the inspection are already included with the purchase of the car. Are they going to halt my future software upgrades? With the amount of braking I actually use, I dont see me getting new brake pads for over 100k miles. My 2009 Prius has $90k miles and I've not yet needed to change brake pads.
Twin Chargers != Supercharging-enabled
Servicing != Warranty

That's about as concise as I can make it. :)

Since Tesla warranty (if they're defective) seems to cover everything (other than tires) and my insurance would cover everything if some ******* crashed into me and caused a problem (so, non-tesla's fault issues), that covers all the non-tire bases. I'll be in Henderson, Nevada most of the time (Las Vegas area where they're opening up a shop) and the two months I'm not in Henderson, I'm in Oakland, California (close enough to a few shops). So, the ranger service seems pretty pointless to me. Any reason for somebody like me to even consider the service contracts?

Since Tesla warranty (if they're defective) seems to cover everything (other than tires) and my insurance would cover everything if some ******* crashed into me and caused a problem (so, non-tesla's fault issues), that covers all the non-tire bases. I'll be in Henderson, Nevada most of the time (Las Vegas area where they're opening up a shop) and the two months I'm not in Henderson, I'm in Oakland, California (close enough to a few shops). So, the ranger service seems pretty pointless to me. Any reason for somebody like me to even consider the service contracts?

Well, you need to keep the car serviced in order for the warranty to be valid. It's cheaper to purchase the maintenance agreement than to do it piecemeal, which is $600 per service and maybe plus parts--it's not clear whether the service without maintenance agreement would include consumables.