Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Servicing Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to replace my brake pads soon since the car has around 15k miles. Just had a few questions regarding DIY. For a MYP

Has anyone done it themselves yet?
If so, did you resurface your rotors when replacing pads?
Any idea where to source replacement parts aside from Tesla? And would I be able to order from Tesla directly?
Aftermarket solutions aside from MPP and UPP?

Appreciate any insight given.

I'm looking to replace my brake pads soon since the car has around 15k miles. Just had a few questions regarding DIY. For a MYP

Any idea where to source replacement parts aside from Tesla? And would I be able to order from Tesla directly?

How are you driving your car that you would need to replace your pads at 15k? If you are taking it to the track I could see it, otherwise probably not. I did DIY my brake service at around that mileage (lube the pad sliders), but that pads were still almost new at that point. Rich Rebuilds on YouTube has a Model 3 service video that goes over the brake service (among other things). Should be the same for the Model Y.

And yes, you can order all the brake parts from your Tesla service center. They are all unrestricted. Not sure what the lead times are though.

Reactions: Herroweric
Nothing actually. I'm putting longer studs on the front hubs to run wider spacers so I figured I'd replace everything while I am there. I was debating buying some UPP pads and upgrading the lines as well.
That makes the original question completely different. Sorry for my response.

In my mind, I imaged someone aggressively two foot driving their car. I mean REALLY aggressively.

• Funny
Reactions: alexcue
@Herroweric Big Brake Kit!! I did a BBK and extended my studs at the same time. Let me know if you have any questions. I was able to press the studs out without removing the hub and not by hammer of course. Oh love the BBS!!!
i guess you guys are tracking these cars? i see no reason to even use the friction brakes much less upgrade them... and if youre tracking why not get the model 3??

Reactions: thesmokingman
You probably dont need to replace your pads until like 100k due to the regen braking...
My 2015 S85 shut down completely after I drove through a large puddle. The service center is recommending new pads and rotors, and alignment, and new tires. Almost $3k for all that, not including the repair costs of over $3k for driving through a puddle. Car is preowned, I’ve had it for a year now, and it has about 85k miles on it. Is replacing the rotors and pads a DIY option?

Any recommendations on brand? I drive daily, and part time I do drive share (mainly weekends).

Thanks in advance!

My 2015 S85 shut down completely after I drove through a large puddle. The service center is recommending new pads and rotors, and alignment, and new tires. Almost $3k for all that, not including the repair costs of over $3k for driving through a puddle. Car is preowned, I’ve had it for a year now, and it has about 85k miles on it. Is replacing the rotors and pads a DIY option?

Any recommendations on brand? I drive daily, and part time I do drive share (mainly weekends).

Thanks in advance!
Replacing the brakes is very easy, especially with fixed calipers. I'd go with oem parts just to keep it simple but it'll cost more. I'd stay away from aftermarket drilled rotors and janky racer stuff.

There are many videos/tutorials on Brembos or fixed calipers in general.

You probably dont need to replace your pads until like 100k due to the regen braking...
Completely silly question; I know we use the term "Regenerative Braking" for our EVs but physically on the car, when we let off the accelerator pedal and let the vehicle slow down without touching any other pedals, is it actually applying light brake pressure or is it slowing down by way of engine (or in our case) motor braking?

EDIT: Google is my friend. I just wasn't sure if our Teslas have more magic behind the scenes :)

Completely silly question; I know we use the term "Regenerative Braking" for our EVs but physically on the car, when we let off the accelerator pedal and let the vehicle slow down without touching any other pedals, is it actually applying light brake pressure or is it slowing down by way of engine (or in our case) motor braking?

EDIT: Google is my friend. I just wasn't sure if our Teslas have more magic behind the scenes :)
Yeap it's using regen, however for traction control it also uses the brakes. And it also uses the brakes to hold the car. Also cars in winter climates really need to be concerned with the lack of brake use. It's the lack of use that can create issues ironically. All you in winter climates use your brakes every now and then so the they don't get gunked up, seized pistons etc from long periods of lack of use and ofc road salt build up. When you wash your car hose the brakes off good.

Reactions: Trip McNealy
Ordered the Brembo front rotors and pads. Did the repairs with a little help from my brother in law last December. I spent about $500 on the parts. Could not find the rears. It’s 8 months later and I still can’t get the rear rotors and pads. Not even from Brembo. They are sold out. BTW: Im on a road trip across America From the Bronx, NY to Colorado. Made it to Colorado in 4 days. Car was parked for about 2 days. I drove it to a Tesla destination charger Friday night. Charged for an hour or so. Saturday morning my car died. It’s 75 miles away waiting for no less than 2 weeks for the HV battery to be replaced. F@€{ my life.