Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Set charge rate from app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's because if there was a software hiccup (or a fumble finger) and an unsafe amperage was set it could cause a fire. It's safer to restrict the amperage setting to the car's controls, which are right there at the location of charging.
I'm not sure if you are serious or joking ;-)
I think what the op means is why not have the same interface in the app that is in the car. The car would never let you set an unsafe charge anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
I'm not sure if you are serious or joking ;-)
I think what the op means is why not have the same interface in the app that is in the car. The car would never let you set an unsafe charge anyway.
No, that's not correct. It's only true if you are using the UMC adapter to plug directly into the corresponding outlet. People who use homemade or third party extension cords and adapters between the UMC adapter and outlet have to manually set the amps down if the circuit is rated for lower amps than the UMC adapter used. Dozens of threads here over the years discussing this in detail. The car doesn't know what circuit it's being plugged into, it sets the amps based on what UMC adapter is present.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and Runt8
I would love to be able to set charging rate via the app:

- sometimes I forget to raise it when it was set low; when I find out - too late, not enough charge to go
- sometimes I want to throttle down because my solar panel is not delivering enough energy - sorry- have to go to the garage and adjust
- sometimes a family member plugs in the car who doesn't know the details of how to set the charge rate
-sometimes I set it to slow charging (thinking its better for the battery and the grid)
but suddenly an extra chore comes up and I want it to charge faster

I have my Google home announce status my Tesla at 10pm "Tesla is plugged in.... have a good night" . But some nights if I have driven a lot it will say "Attention! While the Tesla is plugged in, it will not be charged by 7am". My fix is usually to bump from 40A to 48A. In that scenario, it sure would be nice to adjust from the app instead of having to go to the garage and get into the car!
PS- All automation here is custom.

Hmmm, is my math wrong on this? Wouldn't 48A at 240VAC give you a full 100KWh in 10 hours?
Yes, but since I don't want my battery sitting at high charge for extra hours (arguably one of the worst things for Li ion), I start charging at 3am. This works out to completion of charging before 6am for me, 90+% of the time. Also has the benefit of warming the battery pack close to departure time for regen use in cold weather. Either way I have to adjust both start time and amperage IN THE CAR.

Sure wish I could tell my Tesla what time to complete charging vs start charging in the Tesla GUI. As long as it would display the calculated start time, I could verify that it was OK with my TOU window with my electric PUC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert