TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Set Charging Limit - set to a value less than 50%?

Discussion in 'North America' started by RobertSeattle, Jul 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Member

Is there a technical reason why we can't set the charging limit to a value less than 50%? There are times when drivers may want to limit charging to a lower value.

Example: Getting back from a long drive at night. I need a little bit of charge by morning, but not allot. I want to do my actual charging during the day when my solar panels are being productive.

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

It's a fairly uncommon case to want to change less than 50%. For those rare cases, you can stop the charge manually with the app.

3. RobertSeattle

RobertSeattle Member

Of course, but I would have to wake and do that. :) I'm just curious if there is a reason why Tesla set 50% as the lower limit.

4. liuping

liuping Active Member

Ah, in California, with net metering, it's much cheaper to charge at night during super off peak rates, and save the solar for for the peak rate credits.

5. jelloslug

jelloslug Member

You could look into putting a timer circuit on your charging equipment.

6. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

No technical reason - they were just trying to KISS. There seems to be no battery advantage to going below 50% but of course there could be other reasons.

You could come home with 10% and want to get to 30% right away for battery longevity reasons and then wait until low rates to go to 50%. But - not an option.

I wouldn't hold my breath either.

Now - I would think an app could do it. It would be great to have an app that would allow all sorts of edge charging scenarios - is any developer listening. Would be particularly nice if we could change amperage too. This becomes important when net metering goes away.

7. skrenes

skrenes Member

I believe the reason Tesla doesn't allow less than 50% is because they want to encourage people to keep the battery at its ideal state for storage/longevity (which happens to be around 40-50%).

The unofficial Tesla API is described here. As you can see, there is no known way to change the amperage. Perhaps if enough people asked Tesla, we could get that added as a feature. I can imagine a number of good reasons to have it such as matching solar ouput, down regulating for appliances (dryer, stove, etc) for homes that only have 100A service, etc.