Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Set home charging rate from app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lzolman

Never thought I'd be driving the world's best car!
Supporting Member
Jun 13, 2019
Boston North Shore
After a recent update, I can now set the charge current for my refresh Model S from the phone app, which was badly needed. But I can't say the same for our Model 3 (2018 LR dual-motor), which doesn't currently have that ability. Does anyone know if it's coming for the M3 as well? With solar, we really need to be able to manually modulate the charge rate without having to run down to the garage and do it in the car each time. Thanks!

Some people with model 3s have it already. Interestingly, I dont, and I also have a 2018 model year model 3. Of note, people report some strangeness in behavior of charging when setting the amps in the app, so If it were me, I wouldnt bother with that yet.

Just to verify, this worked for me as well, after changing the amps to 12 in the car yesterday, didn’t touch the app. When I plugged in this morning it started up at the desired default of 12 amps…Thanks!
(post above is in reference to the thread I linked, where people found that "not changing the amps setting in the app" resolved their setting anomalies)

Thanks, good to hear that the M3 will probably be getting it. I've had zero issues with the feature on my Model S.

Thats good to hear.

Here is another thread in the model X section with people having issues, just for reference:

Just mentioning it to let you know to keep an eye on it.

Reactions: lzolman
I got the ability with my M3 as soon as I got the new app. After another update, the weird behavior where the charging rate kept dropping from 40 to 39 Amps appears to be fixed. However, I still see random changes from the 85% cap I set, to anywhere between 84 and 89%.

I got the ability with my M3 as soon as I got the new app. After another update, the weird behavior where the charging rate kept dropping from 40 to 39 Amps appears to be fixed. However, I still see random changes from the 85% cap I set, to anywhere between 84 and 89%.

I wonder if there is some other variable I am unaware of that keeps me from having this in my app (and OP in theirs)? Its interesting to me that both OP and I have 2018 Model year vehicles and dont see it, but OP sees it in their refresh 2021 model S, and people with 2019 model 3s like yours also see it.

Makes me wonder what the delineation is, or said another way, whether I (and OP) will ever see it for 2018 vehicles. I dont particularly care if I see this ability in my tesla app or not but it is interesting to me WHY I dont see it.

I have the latest tesla app, but my vehicle is only on 2021.32.22, and has been there one of the longest times between updates I have ever experienced. I have FSD but have not (and do not intend to ) request the beta for FSD, and part of me wonders if my car has been put on some different software track because of it.

Reactions: lzolman
I to have NOT received any firmware updates since the one with the FSD request button. My M3 is also a 2018 RWD long range. I have not requested the FSD Beta firmware nor have I opted out (how do you opt out)? I read in another thread on this forum that many users have not received any firmware updates if they did not request FSD Beta firmware.

I had the FSD subscription for September and October. I was getting regular updates quicker than before the subscription. After seeing the Driving Score Card and how only the 100’s would go first, and then the troubles being reported, I decided to cancel the subscription. I did not receive another update until I was at the Raleigh SC and was updated to 36.5.5.

FSD subscribers and owners definitely go first.

I had the FSD subscription for September and October. I was getting regular updates quicker than before the subscription. After seeing the Driving Score Card and how only the 100’s would go first, and then the troubles being reported, I decided to cancel the subscription. I did not receive another update until I was at the Raleigh SC and was updated to 36.5.5.

FSD subscribers and owners definitely go first.

this isnt that thread (discussion of software updates) but I AM a "FSD owner", as i said. I have never experienced being upgraded "first" because I own FSD either, so thats not a delineator.

People who are in the beta likely are, for obvious reasons, but having FSD does not trigger anything "faster" related to software updates. My 3 years of FSD ownership disagrees with that statement.

this isnt that thread (discussion of software updates) but I AM a "FSD owner", as i said. I have never experienced being upgraded "first" because I own FSD either, so thats not a delineator.

People who are in the beta likely are, for obvious reasons, but having FSD does not trigger anything "faster" related to software updates. My 3 years of FSD ownership disagrees with that statement.
You would not know because you have been an FSD owner. I can tell you that being an ESP owner and just recently having my computer upgraded to 3.0, and buying an FSD subscription, I absolutely saw an increase in update frequency.

You would not know because you have been an FSD owner. I can tell you that being an ESP owner and just recently having my computer upgraded to 3.0, and buying an FSD subscription, I absolutely saw an increase in update frequency.

I had EAP only from Dec of 2018 to April of 2019, and did not experience any difference in update frequency or speed between that time and when I got FSD during the fire sale in april of 2019. So, our experiences on this have been different.

Reactions: jdcollins5
After a recent update, I can now set the charge current for my refresh Model S from the phone app, which was badly needed. But I can't say the same for our Model 3 (2018 LR dual-motor), which doesn't currently have that ability. Does anyone know if it's coming for the M3 as well? With solar, we really need to be able to manually modulate the charge rate without having to run down to the garage and do it in the car each time. Thanks!

@lzolman

To circle back around on your original question, as I mentioned before my car was on 2021.32.22. I just got updated to 2021.36.5.1, and now (magically) I have the ability to change charging amps in the tesla app. So, if this is a feature you are looking for, you likely will get it whenever you get updated to 2021.36.X or greater.

Reactions: lzolman and miimura