Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Set rear AC vents on by default?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On auto mine turns on the rear vents automatically whenever it things someone is in the rear seat. If not, then they default to off.

Now, I notice some of you talking about dogs and how it stays on for you or not based on the car seat. I don't think the car seat setting works that way. I think if you have the read seats folded down and the dogs are standing up there it detects the weight of them and turns on the rear AC. The car seat setting is just so you don't get prompted constantly that someone in the rear needs to fasten their seatbelt. If you have a dog in the cargo area and the seats aren't down then it won't trigger the rear AC vents to default to on as there is no weight on the rear seat sensors.

Personally I wish there was a way to have it save both the rear and passenger vents to default to on. I prefer to cool the entire car and not have the AC blow directly on me as it drys out my eyes. So I'm constantly tapping the fan and enabling them when driving alone. It does rememeber them for that drive normally but not after leaving the car and coming back.

November 2020 built December 2020 delivered 2021 MY in case that matters as maybe they don't all have the same sensors depending when built.

Instead of playing round with the seatbelt, just open the climate control window and select rear vent - it's that easy...and the setting stays.
As others have noted, mine does not work this way either. Mine seems to be entirely based on seat sensors. When I'm alone it blows from the driver's side only (which I find to be ineffective and have to open the menu and hit the passenger side EACH TIME so that the car cools down properly). When my dogs are in the back with the seats folded I have to open the menu and hit the rear vent button EACH TIME. When I get in the car again, it adjusts according to who is sitting in the car:

1. Just driver -- only driver vent on, passenger and rear vent off
2. Two people in the front - driver and passenger vent on, rear vent off
3. People in the front and someone on the back - all vents on.

**I don't honestly know what happens if it's just the driver and a rear passenger (i.e. if the front passenger vent is off) - I've never tried this configuration.

It would be VERY NICE if it remembered the last configuration but it seems to check the seat sensors and adjust accordingly, presumably to maximize efficiency.

My October build has a pet bed I used. I just held on to the open seat belt and it seemed to cause two things. The Child seat came on in the back and held. The vents opened up. Non-scientific test, but even after the dog wasn't in there over 4 days, both were still on. Had to hold down the Child seat to get rid of it. Back air isn't on anymore. I did play like I always do with the temp during the drives.

So if I'm the only person in the car in 90+ degree weather, turning on that 1 AC vent for driver side isn't enough. I always have to manually turn on the passenger side too and no way to keep the passenger side on automatically. I probably have the same issue with the back seats too even with the baby car seats installed.

Honestly this is just one of those features that sounds good when software developers talk about it between themselves but just isn't practical. Just let me set it how I want it and save it to my profile. Not everything needs to be automated.

Reactions: geordi