Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Set Temp vs Actual Temp difference.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if this is normal.
It’s currently winter here in Ontario.
I preheat the car, or just drive for a while, (long enough to balance out), and the set temp set at say 23° Celsius or 73.4° Fahrenheit is actually around 18° Celsius or 64.4° Fahrenheit in the cabin.
So about 5° degrees Celsius difference or about 10° Fahrenheit difference.

I measure this with a calibrated unit. Tried two to be sure.
I don’t recall this being the case in the past. Seems only recently this has changed.

Is anyone else seeing this wide difference from set temp to actual temp ?

I have maybe experienced this but I have not tried to verify the interior temperature. I do know there is an issue with the vehicle measuring the exterior temperature, specifically the lack of adjustment after leaving my garage and the impact it has on the interior heating of the cabin. Many times the car will register the temperature of my garage say in the 40's(F) but the actual outside temperature is 20-30 degrees colder yet after 15 plus minutes of driving the reading on the display doesn't change and the car begins to fog up. I have to turn the defrost on hi to clear it up. Once I stop and get out of my car at Wawa for morning coffee, upon returning the temperature adjusts and the cabin is fine. Maybe related, I have a mobile service appointment tomorrow, will update after.

I have maybe experienced this but I have not tried to verify the interior temperature. I do know there is an issue with the vehicle measuring the exterior temperature, specifically the lack of adjustment after leaving my garage and the impact it has on the interior heating of the cabin. Many times the car will register the temperature of my garage say in the 40's(F) but the actual outside temperature is 20-30 degrees colder yet after 15 plus minutes of driving the reading on the display doesn't change and the car begins to fog up. I have to turn the defrost on hi to clear it up. Once I stop and get out of my car at Wawa for morning coffee, upon returning the temperature adjusts and the cabin is fine. Maybe related, I have a mobile service appointment tomorrow, will update after.
Thanks for the reply. That scenario may be related. Both are potential sensor issues, or software issues.
Let me know what they say. Very curious.
Thanks.

The slow temperature response is definitely an issue. Preconditioning seems to make it worse actually. I leave my house with the temp at 21°C and by the time I am at my destination the temp in the car according to the app on the phone is 18°C. With the car fully preconditioned it seems to set the fan to 3 and doesn't blow air on the windscreen so the windows fog up.

If I don't fully precondition in the same scenario it runs the fan at 4-5 and blows heat out of all three zones.

It's very odd that the car knows it wants to be at 21°C and lets the temp fall so much. I really wish it had a better HVAC system. I know it can be fixed with updates but so far it hasn't.

Maybe not exactly the issue you are having though. Check the app on the phone because it will tell you what it thinks the interior is at. If it thinks it is 23° but it's actually 18° then I would say there's a sensor issue. If it is set to 23° and falls to 18° while driving then I think we have the same problem.

The slow temperature response is definitely an issue. Preconditioning seems to make it worse actually. I leave my house with the temp at 21°C and by the time I am at my destination the temp in the car according to the app on the phone is 18°C. With the car fully preconditioned it seems to set the fan to 3 and doesn't blow air on the windscreen so the windows fog up.

If I don't fully precondition in the same scenario it runs the fan at 4-5 and blows heat out of all three zones.

It's very odd that the car knows it wants to be at 21°C and lets the temp fall so much. I really wish it had a better HVAC system. I know it can be fixed with updates but so far it hasn't.

Maybe not exactly the issue you are having though. Check the app on the phone because it will tell you what it thinks the interior is at. If it thinks it is 23° but it's actually 18° then I would say there's a sensor issue. If it is set to 23° and falls to 18° while driving then I think we have the same problem.
Thanks.
Yes. The app, and car say 23°.
However, the actual temp in the car is only 18°
That’s a big difference.
Was wondering if anyone by any chance has checked the car set temp vs the actual cabin temp.
Wondering if I have a sensor issue, or if it’s normal now with recent updates.
I know the heaters have been checked, and they work. I also know there wasn’t that much of a variation before.

There is a software problem and Tesla is aware of it. I was told by Tesla service there will be a fix in a later software update. Preconditioning the car will absolutely affect the cars ability to record the correct external temperature (at least it does for me and a number of other users on a different thread). The act of getting out of the car and closing the door allows the car to "sleep" and once you open the door, even if it was only a few seconds, the sensor will respond and reflect the correct temperature. Tesla's HVAC system definitely has some work to do.

There is a software problem and Tesla is aware of it. I was told by Tesla service there will be a fix in a later software update. Preconditioning the car will absolutely affect the cars ability to record the correct external temperature (at least it does for me and a number of other users on a different thread). The act of getting out of the car and closing the door allows the car to "sleep" and once you open the door, even if it was only a few seconds, the sensor will respond and reflect the correct temperature. Tesla's HVAC system definitely has some work to do.
My model 3 AWD has a similar problem.
Temp says 23° Celsius (73.4° Fahrenheit.)
But the cars actual temp is only 18° Celsius (64.4° Fahrenheit. )
?
I was referring to the internal temp being off.
The exterior temp seems accurate. Just the internal temp is off by about 4° Celsius or 9° Fahrenheit.