Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Set to have power trunk retrofitted to my 2018 Model 3 today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled to have someone install a power trunk to my 2018 Model 3 this afternoon. I've been wanting the convenience of it, but then last night on a different forum, someone posted photos of one of the powered struts freezing, causing the opposite side to shift the trunk lid enough to crack the glass against the defective strut. Now I'm nervous. The seller claims it isn't Hanshow they are installing, but I don't know who else makes these kits or how to tell if they're any better. These come with a two-year warranty, though. Am I making a big mistake, here? Also, if the motor quits, is it then impossible to raise or lower the truck manually? Thanks.

TeslaOffer also makes trunk and frunk kits, and in general I have read better reviews of their kits. You are supposed to be able to manually raise and lower them, but you can always have a failure where the strut gets jammed up with debris or a broken piece and it gets locked in place (probably extremely rare). One of the more common failure modes I've read about with all struts (powered and unpowered) is that one of the joints pops loose and causes damage to the glass or other parts.

Reactions: JMc2018M3