TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Set top speed?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MartyL, Dec 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MartyL

MartyL Member

When I first got my Model S I think I remember setting a top speed but I can't find that setting now. I know it's crazy to want to set the top speed (right?) but am I crazy thinking that I did it?

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

You're crazy. There's no user-facing speed limiter setting available, though loaners are limited by the Service Center.

Actually, you're probably not crazy. What you're probably misremembering is setting the default speed offset for Autopilot (on restricted access roadways).

3. MartyL

MartyL Member

Thanks but that brings up the real reason for my question, and that is that recently I was on highway I5 (a 70-mph, two-lane road with a lot of slow trucks) in California cruising at 80 mph, and I wanted to quickly pass a 'road boulder' that was lodged in the fast lane, so I moved to the right lane and stepped down on the 'gas' pedal and was surprised at how slowly the car accelerated since at lower speeds it accelerates much faster. Is that normal?

4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

There are many factors that'll impact your rate of acceleration. It doesn't accelerate from 70 as fast as is does from 0, but even the standard non-performance cars have decent giddy up at high speed.

That said, acceleration is hurt by cold temperatures and low battery charge states.

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

But, yes, for most cars the acceleration from 0-40 is much quicker than 70-90.