Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SETEC CCS adapter blocked again- WTH TESLA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up 12kw. So far in the past 60 days, I’ve run about 700kw through it
Are you talking about kWh? kW (a unit of power) and kWh (a unit of energy) are totally different metrics.

if you charge at 12 kW * 1 hour --> 12 kWh came out of the wall. 12 kW * 2 hours --> 24 kWh came out of the wall

Multiply the units and values.

Don't know what "run about 700kw through it" means. No public CCS DC FC that I know of can sustain charging rates that high and neither can your Tesla. The fastest CCS DC FCS I know of are 350 kW via 800 volt system cars. Your vehicle and the chargers + any receipts they give will use the correct units for power (kW) and energy (kWh).

Mixing up kW vs. kWh is like mixing up miles vs. miles per hour.

How fast did you go? 4 miles
How far did you go? 4 miles per hour.

Huh?

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Are you talking about kWh? kW (a unit of power) and kWh (a unit of energy) are totally different metrics.

if you charge at 12 kW * 1 hour --> 12 kWh came out of the wall. 12 kW * 2 hours --> 24 kWh came out of the wall

Multiply the units and values.

Don't know what "run about 700kw through it" means. No public CCS DC FC that I know of can sustain charging rates that high and neither can your Tesla. The fastest CCS DC FCS I know of are 350 kW via 800 volt system cars. Your vehicle and the chargers + any receipts they give will use the correct units for power (kW) and energy (kWh).

Mixing up kW vs. kWh is like mixing up miles vs. miles per hour.

How fast did you go? 4 miles
How far did you go? 4 miles per hour.

Huh?
Omg. I have a detailed log book showing that in the past 60 days I have “run” over 700 kw through my adapters in chucks of 5-30kw charges depending on state of charge. Average load Which I also log is 35kw. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. On the two chargers I use most of the (EA and an off brand) max is 150kw but neither adapter sees more than 45kw.

I did attend school for an EE degree so I know the differences. And I didn’t understand that this would be a pop quiz. If you read through ALL of my posts regarding charging with the Chad adapter and the Setec adapter, it would have been pretty clear I understand the differences and that both adapters are rate limited due to the Chad emulation. The original premise of this post is that the tesla seems to lose information as to charging when using the Setec for an extended period of time which lead to a reduced apparent range.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna and GHammer
Omg. I have a detailed log book showing that in the past 60 days I have “run” over 700 kw through my adapters in chucks of 5-30kw charges depending on state of charge. Average load Which I also log is 35kw. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. On the two chargers I use most of the (EA and an off brand) max is 150kw but neither adapter sees more than 45kw.
What does the bolded part mean? Are you talking about kWh?

Are you telling me that you're seeing charge rates as low as 5 kW? How much energy was dispensed during that session?

You said max 150 kW and "neither adapter sees more than 45kw" but then you say "700 kw".
If you read through ALL of my posts regarding charging with the Chad adapter and the Setec adapter, it would have been pretty clear I understand the differences and that both adapters are rate limited due to the Chad emulation.
I don't have time to follow everyone's posts but you have a lot of them. But from this thread and Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter, it seems you have unit confusion problems.

I found some more with your wrong unit usage like these:
"The SC is .39Kw.. and the EVgo is .22Kw. Same mall, same lot. With in 200 yards of each other. When I'm out road tripping, I've learned that almost every city hall has a charger somewhere near and the prices are better than most other sites including the SCs. Baumont was that way last weekend on a trip to Palm Springs. .22 per KW vs .39 per Kw at the SC a few miles down the road"

"21 cents per KW vs the 39 at the SC. Now it's 21 cents vs 50 something per Kw."

"have been charging almost exclusively using the SETEC for the past 45 days.. over 600 Kw worth"

In all of the above snippets, it seems like you were referring to kWh.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and srs5694
Bolded. No idea. I was typing all that out on my phone and the new app. So I’m guessing I fat fingered something to bold it. Maybe I should stick to my desktop when trying write long winded paragraphs ;)

Successful charge session at the Electrify America station in Mt Pleasant TX today.

9/2021 MYLR with 2921.44.25.2 software update.
Setec with 164-1 firmware.
1. Locate charge station in EA app
2. Plug CCS plug into setec
3. Plug setec into tesla
4. Swipe to start charge in EA app.
5. Press button on setec
6. Wait for everything to initiate and charging begins.

View attachment 750149

View attachment 750150

View attachment 750151

View attachment 750152
Why would you tie up a 350KW charger for a Tesla that can't use that power. Please save those chargers for fast charging EV's on CCS.

Because I use what is the least wait and cheapest. Just like gas. The nearest CCS charger me which is free and 4 miles closer, has had the most, 3 cars at one time with 8 stations. I have been there for 3 months now almost daily ( free) and all times of day. 90% I’m the only one there. Recently there has been a Bolt showing up. I got an IM on plug share from someone asking about the charger since I check in a lot there. I’m not hogging or pushing out anyone because there isn’t anyone to push out. So get off your high horse because I’m using non tesla chargers

Because I use what is the least wait and cheapest. Just like gas. The nearest CCS charger me which is free and 4 miles closer, has had the most, 3 cars at one time with 8 stations. I have been there for 3 months now almost daily ( free) and all times of day. 90% I’m the only one there. Recently there has been a Bolt showing up. I got an IM on plug share from someone asking about the charger since I check in a lot there. I’m not hogging or pushing out anyone because there isn’t anyone to push out. So get off your high horse because I’m using non tesla chargers

The comment wasn’t directed at you.

Given the choice of several working chargers, some of which are 150 kW and others 350 kW, you should choose the one that best meets your needs. If the adapter you’re using is limited to 50 kW, best practice would be to use the lowest power charger that will provide the maximum you can use - the 150 kW station. By plugging into a 350 kW station, you’re just blocking a faster car (Taycan, Ioniq 5, Lucid, a Tesla with the Tesla CCS adapter) from being able to use it.

Why would you tie up a 350KW charger for a Tesla that can't use that power. Please save those chargers for fast charging EV's on CCS.
Honestly, because I didn't know at the time (that is an old post and I was new) that it was limited to 49KW. Once I figured that out I only used the 150KW station that is next to the 350KW station. Thanks for pointing that out. :-/ duh

However, now that I have the actual Tesla CCS1 adapter, you bet I'm using the 350 charging station. Also, I think I've only seen another vehicle charging here while I was present one time so I wasn't blocking anyone while I was testing this adapter.

That’s my experience here. Between EVgo, EA and the noname I use, it’s a rare day to see anyone else charging. The EA has the most which has been three. One is a repeat Inoic and a MachE. The mall has the most traffic but everyone queues up for the free J 7kw plugs vs the 10 per hour 150kw DCFC of. Which there two compared to the dozen free plugs.

For compare and contrast, there is a SC by my daughters work with 8 stations. Always a wait. Always no what time of day I’ve checked. The EA station literally two miles away, rarely a wait even just 4 chargers. There is a second 8 stall SC just five mins away from that crowded one that normally has two to four cars at a time. Never seen a wait but at .58 per Kw prime, the EA is cheaper.

I’m writing this at my favorite free charger. 50kw and I’m the only one here happily using my Setec adapter while the nearest SC is 72Kw max, 20 stalls and 8 available at . 29 per Kw

Update.. I had a conversation a tesla owner yesterday at an outlet mall near me. I was charging on the free DCFC there using my Chad adapter ( 45kw ) and the guy came up asking how I was able to charge there while he was paying .58 Kw at the supercharger which is on the other side of the parking lot. Tesla just raised rates and widened peak charging here .. peak is now 10am to 10pm at 58 cents per KW.. while the Chargepoint DCFC stations are free. I showed him the chad adapter I was using and alse the Setec adapter in my trunk. I told him with those two, I'm not a hostage to Superchargers anymore.. I"m FREEE :D. I find it interesting that Tesla announces that by the end of the year, they will be open to others.. then they widen the prime window and raise the prices so they are the most expensive choice. EVgo is .41 cents per Kw and EA is 45 unless you are a member which drives it to 31 cents ANY TIME OF DAY. Tesla is banking on that less 1% of their customers have adapters so they are locked to the SC or home if available..

Update.. I had a conversation a tesla owner yesterday at an outlet mall near me. I was charging on the free DCFC there using my Chad adapter ( 45kw ) and the guy came up asking how I was able to charge there while he was paying .58 Kw at the supercharger which is on the other side of the parking lot. Tesla just raised rates and widened peak charging here .. peak is now 10am to 10pm at 58 cents per KW.. while the Chargepoint DCFC stations are free. I showed him the chad adapter I was using and alse the Setec adapter in my trunk. I told him with those two, I'm not a hostage to Superchargers anymore.. I"m FREEE :D. I find it interesting that Tesla announces that by the end of the year, they will be open to others.. then they widen the prime window and raise the prices so they are the most expensive choice. EVgo is .41 cents per Kw and EA is 45 unless you are a member which drives it to 31 cents ANY TIME OF DAY. Tesla is banking on that less 1% of their customers have adapters so they are locked to the SC or home if available..
Tonight was a good night to have two adapters. The Chad wouldn’t lock to the connector. So I just switched to CCS and continued on my way charging for free :)

So I finally got around t updating my Setec CCS adapter. Up to now, I've had the flash hazard warning every time i used it.. The latest 166 update worked like a charm. No more warnings. As a talking point, the 166-1 update broke it completely.. wouldn't charge on that code base.

Reactions: ElectricIAC