Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because of multiple threads in multiple sub-forums concerning this adapter, starting this one as a single point of knowledge.

Background - Purchased the Setec CCS1 adapter and received today. Tried on a BTCPower station operated by Blink. Got both communications errors and failed isolation test. Have sent an email to Setec. Looks like we'll be a beta for them..... (willing or not!)

Collecting a few other reports from around the forums:

@BritneySpears reported a successful charge on EA for a salvage title M3 here, though at only 25 kW:
Model 3 Rebuilt Title - Supercharging Removal

@ericj5 has one, but has not yet reported a test

@RandyS has reported multiple attempts with both M3 and MS here, with no successes:
CCS Adapter for North America

Not a promising start, but hopefully they'll be responsive to the issues in getting their firmware actually working, or hopefully this will spur Tesla to actually get a first party adapter out for the US.

Looking at the Tesla Korea Club videos, it seems like they've been having a lot more success charging and with speeds >50kW. If I had to guess this may be due to variances in how CCS was implemented on the chargers, so what works for the models used in Korea may not work for the chargers used in the US. This reminds me of the CCS issues that the Model 3 had early on with some chargers in Europe.

Hopefully some firmware updates will be able to fix the issues with charging...

Their videos with some more recent adapter charging sessions: https://www.youtube.com/c/TESLAKOREACLUB/videos

(they are all in Korean, but the pictures + charging display status should be enough to convey how well it's supposed to work. There's also a video where some users comment on how well the adapter works for them but I can't read it so I don't want to make any conclusions from that).

I didn't see an offer of firmware updates from SETEC on their website but hopefully they'll provide it. I went for a quick test charge last night at a different Evgo station I've never been to and got comm error. No go.

Refund in progress via PayPal...
CCS Adapter for North America
Note: Setec website has changed. When I ordered in early December, price was $660 delivered. Now it says price is $980 and it is on sale for $660 through 1/1/21. Recommend not purchasing until issues are resolved and adapter is proven to work...

I might have to go the way of RandyS here on the SETEC adapter. I reached out to SETEC about the same comm issues everyone else has and I'm awaiting their response.

Last edited:
Ok, got a response from Setec. They asked that I hook my laptop up and capture data. They forwarded me a windows utility to do so with. Captured realtime data as well as a log file and sent back.

As for the comm fail - the clue is from one of the other posts -- It appears that happens when my car auto locked. Once I made sure the car was not locked, then we were ok with that. As for the fail isolation test - I'll leave that to Setec to figure out. Unfortunately I have only the single CCS charger within 15 miles to test with. So I don't have data points for other chargers.

I didn't see an offer of firmware updates from SETEC on their website but hopefully they'll provide it. I went for a quick test charge last night at a different Evgo station I've never been to and got comm error. No go.
BTW, don't bother with PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You at Walmart in Milpitas until it gets fixed. At least they or someone added this to the description:
"The CCS, Combo connectors at chargers NCAB2669DC1 and NCAB2669DC2 are currently in maintenance. We appreciate your patience while we resolve this issue. Please use the EVgo App and filter for chargers with the Combo connector to locate the next closest station. If you have any questions, please call 1-877-494-3833."

And yes, I can confirm both were broken on at least one of my attempts to charge my Bolt there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BritneySpears
Ok, got a response from Setec. They asked that I hook my laptop up and capture data. They forwarded me a windows utility to do so with. Captured realtime data as well as a log file and sent back.

As for the comm fail - the clue is from one of the other posts -- It appears that happens when my car auto locked. Once I made sure the car was not locked, then we were ok with that. As for the fail isolation test - I'll leave that to Setec to figure out. Unfortunately I have only the single CCS charger within 15 miles to test with. So I don't have data points for other chargers.

Thanks for helping. Did SETEC indicate if they'd offer a firmware update if the data you provide them helps them make the product work? I imagine they'd have to send a utility to do that.

Thanks for taking one for the team, Boeingpilot.

“Tesla owner” - English translation “beta tester”

what program did they send you to capture the data logs?