Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fwiw, my experience with chademo is the opposite. The cable always wanted to get stuck on the adapter.
This matches more with my impression of the CHAdeMO mechanism. Basically once it locks on, it fails closed. There are stories of Leaf owners with the connector stuck on their car if the equipment failed during charging (requiring reset on charger side to release, nothing on car side would be able to release it). That said, the CHAdeMO connector has gone through multiple revisions, so this may not necessarily be the case for all variants.

There is not any mechanical "latch" on the Tesla Chad adapter. Just the cutout where the clip clicks into place.. sortaof.. This is what I'm taking about when I say it doesnt clip in well or at all depending the plug. The car has no idea of it's locked in place or not.. it only sees the Tesla adapter locked in place. So it's far too easy to knock this part of the connection loose if you are not careful. And it doesnt take very much.. less than 1/8 of an inch and it will error out on the charger.

The charger I use most of the time has a button to push to release it from the charger jack. To release it from the adapter, I just have to give it a good tug most of the time. Once in the while it will latch.

1657825560211.png

There is not any mechanical "latch" on the Tesla Chad adapter. Just the cutout where the clip clicks into place.. sortaof.. This is what I'm taking about when I say it doesnt clip in well or at all depending the plug. The car has no idea of it's locked in place or not.. it only sees the Tesla adapter locked in place. So it's far too easy to knock this part of the connection loose if you are not careful. And it doesnt take very much.. less than 1/8 of an inch and it will error out on the charger.

The charger I use most of the time has a button to push to release it from the charger jack. To release it from the adapter, I just have to give it a good tug most of the time. Once in the while it will latch.

View attachment 828540
Oh, I never realized that was the actual mechanism for the latch. The ones that I used were always super tight... they were really hard to get to fully engage and then took a lot of force to get off at the end.

I wonder if the connector can wear? The ones that I used were not heavily used equipment. Maybe over time the latching mechanism can wear or break? I've certainly seen CCS cables with latches either partially or completely missing.

View attachment 828540
Right, I'm talking about the same thing. The locking mechanism of CHAdeMO depends entirely on the CHAdeMO connector itself, not on the car side (which only has a place for the latch to latch to, but no ability to release the latch itself). To be clear, the Tesla adapter is the car side, the cable coming from the charger is the charger side.

It could be possible the cables you use have the latch mechanism become loose, but it could also be they don't fully lock until the charging session starts.