Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, of course. The charge port cable goes to the PCS where it has contactors that direct the main pins to either the on-board charger or the pack.

So there has to be a permissive from the PCS to the contactor(s) whether the input is AC or DC, and there's no physical connection to the OBC or the HVB unless the PCS says so? if that's the case, then if DC was applied to the AC charger and damaged it, then the Setec adapter must have confused the PCS in deciding how it needed energize the charging contactor(s).

I'm curious what Sectecs response will be on this.

So there has to be a permissive from the PCS to the contactor(s) whether the input is AC or DC, and there's no physical connection to the OBC or the HVB unless the PCS says so? if that's the case, then if DC was applied to the AC charger and damaged it, then the Setec adapter must have confused the PCS in deciding how it needed energize the charging contactor(s).

I'm curious what Sectecs response will be on this.

I don't know how it is on the 3/Y but on the S/X the input pins were always connected to the AC charger input, and the HVJB had contactors that just bridged the HV battery directly to the input. (The AC charger had to ignore the DC power on its input.)

There is also the possibility that the SETEC adapter had nothing to do with the failure. (Yeah, unlikely, but possible.)

I don't know how it is on the 3/Y but on the S/X the input pins were always connected to the AC charger input, and the HVJB had contactors that just bridged the HV battery directly to the input. (The AC charger had to ignore the DC power on its input.)

There is also the possibility that the SETEC adapter had nothing to do with the failure. (Yeah, unlikely, but possible.)

Makes sense, one way is to run dubble contactos or a BBM transfer switch, and the other is just to design the charger inputs to withstand high input voltage, the ladder being the more expensive but safer solution. But if the charger is designed for hi voltage, then why did it fail?

Maybe the EA station thought it was connected to a Porsche Taycan and sent 800VDC into the charge port...."who let the smoke out?"

Just and interesting FYI update for you all. I received an email out of the blue from the SETEC representative that I had corresponded with early in the pre-order process. She asked me how the adapter was working, etc.

I mentioned that I had a great experience and gave her the hardware, etc but asked her about the @greentheonly tweet. Her response was as follows below. I have to give them credit, they are not trying to BS their way through this. Although the language barrier is always tricky. I replied that I hope they follow this thread and engage with the community here as there are many that want this to work and want to know why that car was damaged:

Hello Jeff ,

Thank you for your email .

1, I also read this post today .
The working principle of our adapter is : receive request /command from Tesla , then supply the Tesla 's request .
If the request or command out of Tesla , then will not begin charging .
Additionally, our adapter have over-current and over-voltage protection .
And we did make very long time testing in Tesla model 3 , model S , Model X to make sure our product is safe ,
then release to marketing .
2, "greentheonly " also mention that his friend tested on two cars with the same adapter , the other car successfully .
If the adapter make Tesla damage, then why only this car damage , why not both all damage ?

3, I did try to contact the person who have this issue , He don't know the reason yet .
Why not working , there are so many reason , we should objective analysis , isn't it ?
4, We try our best to provide safe and good product to the customers
And give good service to customers .
We are always responsible for our products .
Best Regards,
Mila

Sales Manager

Mila Cao

Mobile : 0086 13925240940
Email:mila@setec-power. com
www.setec-power.com

cleardot.gif

1, I also read this post today .
The working principle of our adapter is : receive request /command from Tesla , then supply the Tesla 's request .
If the request or command out of Tesla , then will not begin charging .
cleardot.gif
I assume this means that the adapter gets a request from the car to begin charging and that the adapter complies, starting charging.
If the car does not send the request, then the adapter cannot begin charging?

Tested mine for the first time today on Firmware v131. On EVGo it started to charge but no current flowed. Stayed like that for about a minute then stopped. Second try it didn't do anything at all. Then tested on an Electrify America station and it worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, even with a warm battery and 40% SOC it only drew 39kW. Seems like some kinks still need to be worked out.

PXL_20210123_202547005.jpg
PXL_20210123_203825061.jpg

You have to keep in mind that you're used to supercharging where the limits are 120kW, 150kW and 250kW depending on the version.

If you were getting 113kW you wouldn't even bat an eye (and of course 243kW would be mind-blowing) but subtract the same 7kW from 50kW and it's a larger fraction drop that's more noticeable.

In any case, the 3/Y is hard limited to 50kW for this so it's only the S/X owners who could look forward to fast charging with this.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tested mine for the first time today on Firmware v131. On EVGo it started to charge but no current flowed. Stayed like that for about a minute then stopped. Second try it didn't do anything at all. Then tested on an Electrify America station and it worked flawlessly. Unfortunately, even with a warm battery and 40% SOC it only drew 39kW. Seems like some kinks still need to be worked out.

View attachment 630085 View attachment 630086

Interesting it didn't work for you on EVgo with V131 as it did work for me on EVgo. I didn't run through any more combinations of set up other than plug in ccs to adapter, plug in adapter to car, turn on green light.