Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in the area of the BTC charger on EA that is close to my house. I tried to charge again using v150. I'm not sure what FW version I was on before- there's no way to check when it's fresh out of the box.

It exhibited the same behavior. I got it to negotiate with the car and the station would ask for payment, but every time I ran my credit card it would say declined (card is fine) and if I attempted to start charging through the app, it would just act like it was sending the request in the app but would never start on charging on my end. Eventually while trying to get payment authorized and charging started, I think the handshake would time-out and I would be forced to start the entire procedure over.

FYI for the group - Because of the above, I can't rely on the adapter as a core part of planning "road-trip" charging routes. Since I haven't had any luck on this charger, I'm basically treating the adapter as an emergency fall-back only (ie. Supercharger is full or down and I'm stuck with no other options)
I've had many payment type issues with EA when I tried to charge my Chevy Bolt. My card was linked to my account and I thought they would just charge me when I used the charger. Didn't seem to work that way. I had to actually put $$ in my account before it would work. The card readers are the worst, it's best to start the session with the app. Even then, EA chargers are finicky and sometimes you have to move from one to another to charge. Just my experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Received mine today, so went out to see if it functioned. First location was EA (150 kW) with 39% starting SoC (2019 Model S LR). Charged fine until I stopped it at 60%--maximum was 75 kW and hovered near that level the entire time. Quite happy with the results--no "hiccups" or otherwise.

Second location was across the street (Chargepoint) with a 50 kW charger. Ran fine until about 70% when I stopped it--maintained 45 kW after the initial ramping. Again, no hiccups. Plugged the charger into the adapter first, then into the car in both efforts.

Haven't tried EVGo or any others yet, but it seems to be a promising start.

Don't know what firmware on it when it arrived, so flashed v150 just in case. All went quite smoothly.

Received mine today, so went out to see if it functioned. First location was EA (150 kW) with 39% starting SoC (2019 Model S LR). Charged fine until I stopped it at 60%--maximum was 75 kW and hovered near that level the entire time. Quite happy with the results--no "hiccups" or otherwise.

Second location was across the street (Chargepoint) with a 50 kW charger. Ran fine until about 70% when I stopped it--maintained 45 kW after the initial ramping. Again, no hiccups. Plugged the charger into the adapter first, then into the car in both efforts.

Haven't tried EVGo or any others yet, but it seems to be a promising start.

Don't know what firmware on it when it arrived, so flashed v150 just in case. All went quite smoothly.

What EA location, or what brand was the equipment? It hasn't worked with any of the EAs I tried around here

What EA location, or what brand was the equipment? It hasn't worked with any of the EAs I tried around here
Unfortunately, I didn't think to get the detailed information about the equipment--sorry. I'll be trying others, too, and will get those details from now on. I used the one pedestal (of four) that had both CHAdeMO and CCS1 plugs....Charger ID 210113-01.

The location is behind a Bank of America off Rt 20 in Marlborough, just west of the I495/Rt20 interchange--here's the link (to PlugShare) and a picture:
MBEAs.jpg

Reactions: JWardell
I received my adapter and was able to give it a shot today. I started out at around 35% SOC on my 2017 Model S. I used a ChargePoint station nominally rated at 75kw. I was able to authorize the session, plug in the adapter, and start the session in under 30 seconds. I started by plugging in the adapter to the stations cable, then plugging the combined assembly into the car. The car's charge port ring stayed orange for about 5-10 seconds after it was plugged, then turned blue for a second, then to green and charging began. The session lasted a little over 20 mins without issue. After ending the session, the adapter was warm to the touch but not hot in any locations. The device feels pretty solid, I feel good about the purchase so far. I may try an EA station over the weekend.

Charge curve as reported by ChargePoint, as well as some images are attached...

Attachments

• PXL_20210722_125041095.jpg
    PXL_20210722_125041095.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20210722_125159189.jpg
    PXL_20210722_125159189.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20210722-091700.png
    Screenshot_20210722-091700.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 144
I had another road trip today and managed to test out the Setec adapter on the BTC chargers that failed last time.
Previously I used V150 and only managed to get one BTC charger out of 9 working (that didn't have network or card reader problems, I didn't count those), spread among 5 different sites (3 Petro-Canada and 2 Electrify Canada).

I used V145 today and went to 4 of those same sites (2 Petro-Canada and 2 Electrify Canada) and every one I tried worked (one Petro-Canada had a card reader not available error, I didn't count that one).

The Petro-Canada BTC chargers were both 350 kW capable versions, and one Electrify Canada was 150 kW and the other was 350 kW, both worked.

So BTC is good, provided you revert to V145 firmware rather than V150.

Photos are of two different Electrify Canada sites, 350 kW charger (#4) in Calgary AB, Deerfoot City (close up) and 150 kW charger (#2) in Canmore AB, Shops of Canmore (far picture).

Attachments

• IMG_20210727_184531.jpg
    IMG_20210727_184531.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20210727_170458.jpg
    IMG_20210727_170458.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 78
So BTC is good, provided you revert to V145 firmware rather than V150.
Can somebody provide me with a link to this V145 firmware? Is there a downside to it compared to V150? I tried a Volta site recently (I didn't really need to charge; mostly I was in the area and wanted to add photos to PlugShare), but it wouldn't work for me with V150, and I don't have V145. I was thinking of going back and collecting logs to send to Setec. I don't even know who makes the hardware that Volta is using; I didn't see any tag on the machine with that information.

Can somebody provide me with a link to this V145 firmware? Is there a downside to it compared to V150? I tried a Volta site recently (I didn't really need to charge; mostly I was in the area and wanted to add photos to PlugShare), but it wouldn't work for me with V150, and I don't have V145. I was thinking of going back and collecting logs to send to Setec. I don't even know who makes the hardware that Volta is using; I didn't see any tag on the machine with that information.
It's in post 514 - or you can just click this link: Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

Reactions: srs5694
I got it from a link in
I originally got it from a link in the description of a Youtube video by Tesla Prince testing Petro-Canada and Electrify Canada in BC ( @softcoder on here).
I'll let him decide if he wants to share his link here or not.

From other notes in this thread, and from that video, V141 and V143 also work with BTC.

I wanted to use V145 because this is the first that also works with Delta 25 kW chargers used by BC Ministry of Transportation in northern BC but wasn't sure if @softcoder tested V145 directly on BTC chargers because he is a long way from Petro-Canada and Electrify Canada stations and he tested the Delta chargers after his trip to test the BTC chargers.

While he has his download site link in the video, I don't know if he wants that link out in the open so I set up a Mega downloads site for it.

Link to V145 on Mega

My mini files archive on Mega

Personally I've tested V145 on
AddEnergie SmartDC 50 using Flo network in Edmonton AB, Sherwood Park AB, Kananaskis AB
BTC using Petro-Canada network in Canmore AB and Balzac AB
BTC using Electrify Canada network in Canmore AB and Calgary Deerfoot City AB
ABB using Greenlots network at Shell in Red Deer AB
IES-Synergy (24 kW) using Chargepoint network in Edmonton AB

And it has been tested by others on
Delta (25 kW) using BC Ministry of Transportation network in BC

Last edited:
Here's some charging graphs from the BTC chargers using SETEC adapter with firmware V145.
Car is 2018 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor with Aero wheels selected

BTC Petro-Canada Canmore (battery warm, directly after a V3 Supercharging session)
BTC Electrify Canada Canmore on 150 kW station (battery warm, after the Petro-Canada session above)
BTC Electrify Canada Calgary Deerfoot on 350 kW station (no pre-heating)
BTC Petro-Canada Balzac (battery warm, directly after a V2 Supercharging session)
Petro Canmore.png
Canmore Electrify Canada.png
Deerfoot.png
Rocky View Petro-Canada.png

Unfortunately, I didn't think to get the detailed information about the equipment--sorry. I'll be trying others, too, and will get those details from now on. I used the one pedestal (of four) that had both CHAdeMO and CCS1 plugs....Charger ID 210113-01.

The location is behind a Bank of America off Rt 20 in Marlborough, just west of the I495/Rt20 interchange--here's the link (to PlugShare) and a picture:
View attachment 686552
Those are Signet just like these are:

I have successfully charged my Bolt at the above sites w/the Pacific Grove site several times. I love the side holster design on the above.

I've charged my Bolt fine at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You many times (EA BTC Power) and PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (EA ABB).

I know a former Bolt driver ('17 bought new who recently went for a buyback due to the fire recall situation) who now has a Taycan and he's charged Bolt and Taycan fine at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You and PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You for sure (both BTC Power). He's also used that that Gilroy EA ABB location and has told me about some of his road trips. And, he's had a bunch of positive check-ins at the 1st EA Signet location w/his Taycan. So that again covers 3 out of 4 of EA's equipment providers.

Last edited:
I tried a Volta site recently (I didn't really need to charge; mostly I was in the area and wanted to add photos to PlugShare), but it wouldn't work for me with V150
FWIW, I returned to this Volta site last night and had no luck with it. I tried V140, V145, and V150 firmware. All three did charge (unlike my previous visit, where I couldn't get a charge to initiate), but sessions lasted about a minute before they stopped. Using V150, the charge rate was also limited to 14kW; but it was more like 40kW with the V140 and V145 firmware. I recorded the charge session data and sent an e-mail to Setec. If anybody's curious enough to take a look, here are the data. I see from earlier posts to this thread that others have had better luck with Volta stations, so I don't know what's up with this one (which is at the Providence Place Mall in Providence, RI). It's not really important to me personally to get this particular site working; I'm just hoping to be able to provide data to Setec to help them improve their product.

FWIW, I returned to this Volta site last night and had no luck with it. I tried V140, V145, and V150 firmware. All three did charge (unlike my previous visit, where I couldn't get a charge to initiate), but sessions lasted about a minute before they stopped. Using V150, the charge rate was also limited to 14kW; but it was more like 40kW with the V140 and V145 firmware. I recorded the charge session data and sent an e-mail to Setec. If anybody's curious enough to take a look, here are the data. I see from earlier posts to this thread that others have had better luck with Volta stations, so I don't know what's up with this one (which is at the Providence Place Mall in Providence, RI). It's not really important to me personally to get this particular site working; I'm just hoping to be able to provide data to Setec to help them improve their product.
Setec provided me with a new firmware (V157) that works with this Volta site. I charged from 74% all the way to 90%, just to give it a good workout, and there was nary a hiccup. I haven't tried it with any other CCS chargers, though. Maybe I'll let the car's charge drop a bit and try it at an EA or ChargePoint site this weekend. I have, of course, reported the results to Setec and provided them with the logs. With any luck they'll release this (or some other future improved) version soon.

Setec provided me with a new firmware (V157) that works with this Volta site. I charged from 74% all the way to 90%, just to give it a good workout, and there was nary a hiccup. I haven't tried it with any other CCS chargers, though. Maybe I'll let the car's charge drop a bit and try it at an EA or ChargePoint site this weekend. I have, of course, reported the results to Setec and provided them with the logs. With any luck they'll release this (or some other future improved) version soon.
Look forward to the report. Hope to have my MY soon (already have the setec) and will be traveling in SE Oklahoma there I'll have a few different CCS chargers to try it on. Any indication what has changed with V157?

Look forward to the report. Hope to have my MY soon (already have the setec) and will be traveling in SE Oklahoma there I'll have a few different CCS chargers to try it on. Any indication what has changed with V157?
No, Setec just provided the firmware file, not any change logs. Their firmware update page does provide vague descriptions of what's changed with previous updates, so I presume they'll provide such information whenever they make a new public release.

You may already be aware of this, but it seems there's a major DC fast charging company in Oklahoma called Francis Energy; if you'll be traveling in the area, you may want to get hooked up with an account, in addition to the major national networks like Electrify America, ChargePoint, and EVgo. Somebody who lives in Oklahoma has posted numerous YouTube videos under the name Crazypostman, documenting his experiences with a Setec CCS adapter on CCS chargers in Oklahoma, many of which are Francis Energy units. He did a lot of testing and provided feedback to Setec. As I understand it, he's still having problems with one or two types of chargers, but most of them work well for him.

Reactions: MSHampton
I'm in east Texas and have family in southeast OK. I've watched the CrazyPostman videos and I think I've seen him on this thread a couple of times. Where I'll be going they have Francis Energy and Kiamichi Energy chargers so I'll get to try them both out. Hope they work but just in case I had a 14-50 installed at my parent's house for good measure. Will still likely need one charging spot between here and there though.

I'm guessing they sent you the firmware directly since they don't have that version listed on their web site. Is there a particular contact there? I hear they are very receptive to users sending logs. I have all the software loaded up on my laptop and have verified connectivity through the USB to the setec so I'm ready to go. Just waiting on Tesla to get me my car. :)

Reactions: srs5694
I'm guessing they sent you the firmware directly since they don't have that version listed on their web site. Is there a particular contact there? I hear they are very receptive to users sending logs. I have all the software loaded up on my laptop and have verified connectivity through the USB to the setec so I'm ready to go. Just waiting on Tesla to get me my car. :)
I've sent you a PM with the contact information, although I suspect that their public contact e-mail address of [email protected] would work as well.

Reactions: MSHampton