Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PayPal quickly found in my favor and initiated a refund to my account. No instructions yet from Setec about how they want me to return the unit to Hong Kong, but I'm not paying shipping for a product that never worked...
Thanks for the return process update. I may do same. I'll wait a little while longer and see what Boeingpilot comes up with. Did you contact SETEC that you wanted to return it or did you just go straight thru paypal?

PayPal quickly found in my favor and initiated a refund to my account. No instructions yet from Setec about how they want me to return the unit to Hong Kong, but I'm not paying shipping for a product that never worked...

If they don’t respond with return instructions how long before the paper weight becomes your property?

You could donate it to someone that can can disassemble it and decipher is magic, or lack thereof.

Video of someone successfully using the SETEC CCS adapter with a US Model 3 at an Electrify America station. Starts talking about the adapter at 2:00 and starts charging at 4:47 and shows the screen of the charger up close at 9:07 and the car at 9:23. There is a discrepancy between what the car and station show is being delivered which I think could be power lost to heating the battery and cabin.

I got mine yesterday and tried it out on an Electrify America station and a 24 kW IES DC fast charger on the ChargePoint network. Both times it worked perfectly. I have a review video up on InsideEVs for those interested:

https://insideevs.com/news/463721/tesla-ccs-fast-charge-adapter-setec/

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that others already posted the link to my video. Happy New Year everyone.

Regarding the variance between KWH on the electrify America station and the car:
- tesla reports net gain = total kWh - what is used for conditioning - climate (I think)
- electricify America shows power output.

The same thing happens with chademo adapter which I frequently use, but the largest variance I’ve seen was 7 KWH between car and station.

got mine yesterday and tried it out on an Electrify America station and a 24 kW IES DC fast charger on the ChargePoint network. Both times it worked perfectly. I have a review video up on InsideEVs for those interested:

Did you notice the adapter getting warm, or hot, while you were using it?

Now get out there and run your car down to 10% so we see what it can really do. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: thedanl
The cabin heater can eat up to 7kW if I recall correctly and I don't know how much the battery heater can eat but I'm sure it can be just as much. I wouldn't be too worried about 10kW ballpark discrepancy.

The thing that's most interesting is that it worked at all. This means the device isn't total bunk and it's some sort of variance somewhere (manufacturing of the adapter or perhaps the charging stations even) that's the issue.

The cabin heater can eat up to 7kW if I recall correctly and I don't know how much the battery heater can eat but I'm sure it can be just as much. I wouldn't be too worried about 10kW ballpark discrepancy.

The thing that's most interesting is that it worked at all. This means the device isn't total bunk and it's some sort of variance somewhere (manufacturing of the adapter or perhaps the charging stations even) that's the issue.
Yeah, I realize that now. I had assumed the car would display the total energy it was receiving, nit the net energy that gets to the pack. Now I know differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I just received an email from Setec. They seem more than willing to make things right. Not sure why RandyS needed to file with PayPal.

I’ve offered to try some different stations, waiting to hear back from Setec. Otherwise I will return.

As for comm error, make sure the car remains unlocked and does. It automatically lock (walk away feature turned off). That seemed to be why I was getting communications failure.

here is what I got from
Setec

Hello ,
Thanks you for much for your feedback.
We did test for long time in Korea and they work well , then we release to USA .
But I am afraid that the charging stations from different factory may have a little different ,
so our CCS adapter may be incompatible with some CCS charger in your local .
We are trying to solve this problem , but now we can not send engineer to USA or Canada due to the Corona virus .

If you want to return the adapter get refund , we will do it for you .
Thank you for your time and patience .

As the CCS adapter , I will give you an address of our after-sales service office ,
could you please send it back to that address ?

Thank you again .
Happy New Year

Best Regards,

I got mine yesterday and tried it out on an Electrify America station and a 24 kW IES DC fast charger on the ChargePoint network. Both times it worked perfectly. I have a review video up on InsideEVs for those interested:

https://insideevs.com/news/463721/tesla-ccs-fast-charge-adapter-setec/

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that others already posted the link to my video. Happy New Year everyone.

Thanks for the video.

Does it 'lock' if you walk away (to prevent theft)?

Did you try to lock your car and see if it continued to charge?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Why the rush to return it? They put a USB port on it, so the firmware could be updated; why wouldn't you give them time to fix it?

This is what I posted in the other thread about your very question...

Decided not to pursue that. This is obviously a bigger issue than "you plugged it in wrong"...It's pretty clear that they didn't do any testing here in the US before marketing the adapter or they would have seen these errors right up front. I'm not interested in being a firmware guinea pig with multiple trips to the charging station for testing, etc (I paid a lot for the adapter and just expected it to work). Plus, there's also the possibility of something going wrong in the troubleshooting and firmware tweaking process and damaging the car when using a non-functional adapter multiple times. It's just not worth the risk and time to me...

Model 3 will use about 7 kW to heat the battery while fast charging and up to 6 kW for cabin heating. After 20-30 minutes, it should satisfy and stop heating the battery, providing more power to battery charging.

Important distinctions:
  • On a Supercharger, the car’s display shows you power coming from the dispenser.
  • On a non-Tesla DC fast charger, the car’s display shows power being delivered to the battery.

Can we create a group spreadsheet to log data from people have have received their adapter and wether or not they were successful in charging?

some good data points would be
Adapter received date, serial number if any.
Tesla year, model, trim, software version
Charger make, model, location, ambient temp, payment method
Charge successful? If yes, actual rate vs charger rated rate. If not successful, what was the error code?

This is what I posted in the other thread about your very question...

Decided not to pursue that. This is obviously a bigger issue than "you plugged it in wrong"...It's pretty clear that they didn't do any testing here in the US before marketing the adapter or they would have seen these errors right up front. I'm not interested in being a firmware guinea pig with multiple trips to the charging station for testing, etc (I paid a lot for the adapter and just expected it to work). Plus, there's also the possibility of something going wrong in the troubleshooting and firmware tweaking process and damaging the car when using a non-functional adapter multiple times. It's just not worth the risk and time to me...

The problem seems to be just slight variations on the implementation of the CCS protocol and the requirement to fail safe (not energized the plug) if everything isn't perfect. I've seen a few notes on plugshare saying something along the lines of "we are aware of fast charging issues with xyz vehicle and are working with the vehicle manufacture and charger manufacturer to rectify the issue", so this is hardly unexpected.

We are trying to solve this problem , but now we can not send engineer to USA or Canada due to the Corona virus .

I wonder if Setec are serious about bringing an engineer to the US when they can? If they are they should really hook up with EA, as EA has a compatibility lab with all of their different chargers in one place where it would be much easier for them to test and update their adapter. (I'm pretty sure that EA allows other OEMs to bring their cars in for testing.)

Reactions: sdoorex