Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, that's interesting. Are they going to send a firmware update to all their customers I wonder? Is it an installer program loadable onto Windows 10?
I was just about to ask the same thing. I have the SETEC but have not tested yet. Car is getting PPF/Tint and some minor panel alignment work from Tesla first. But I am happy to test/provide data to the group/SETEC as well. I want this to work. I have not reached out to SETEC for the software but they have not sent it unsolicited either. I guess I will need to ask.

I have their data logging software but I won’t be able to do anything with it until late next week.

I suppose I can send it to whom ever wants it, if it’s used in good faith to assist Setec in updating the adapter. If I would have had the software during my attempt to charge I could have sent them the data logs by now. I don’t see any harm in distributing it, unless I’m missing something?

It seems the correct instructions for using the adapter are here:

1. Make sure the adapter is charged (use the micro USB port underneath the adapter to charge it overnight)
  2. Turn the adapter on
  3. Plug in CCS1 plug to adapter
  4. Plug in adapter to Tesla and then press the power button on the adapter once
  5. Authorize charging on CCS1 DC fast charger via app or credit card
  6. Charging should begin

1. Make sure the adapter is charged (use the micro USB port underneath the adapter to charge it overnight)
  2. Turn the adapter on
  6. Charging should begin
+Car must be unlocked seems.

Reactions: Boeingpilot
Make sure the adapter is charged (use the micro USB port underneath the adapter to charge it overnight)
  1. Turn the adapter on
  2. Plug in CCS1 plug to adapter
  3. Plug in adapter to Tesla and then press the power button on the adapter once
  4. Authorize charging on CCS1 DC fast charger via app or credit card
  5. Charging should begin

Guys, I applaud Setec for trying to get this interface to work. And from the comments of a number of users Setec is trying very hard to overcome the issues we've seen in regard this device. Having said that, unless there is some way to simplify and "idiot proof" this unit, I can only see continued problems with users trying to get the adapter to work.

Rich

Guys, I applaud Setec for trying to get this interface to work. And from the comments of a number of users Setec is trying very hard to overcome the issues we've seen in regard this device. Having said that, unless there is some way to simplify and "idiot proof" this unit, I can only see continued problems with users trying to get the adapter to work.

Rich
There are a limited number of car/charger combinations out there, so it's just a matter of time before the firmware has better support than your average native CCS1 vehicle. The real question is will Tesla fix the door lock thing and lift the 50kW limitation or will they turn into Apple and try to block 3rd party accessories.

2. Turn the adapter on
  6. Charging should begin

I guess I wasn't doing the correct hokey pokey to get my adapter to work. I wasn't turning on the adapter until i had everything connected.

I'm curious if the chargers communicate some kind of identification number in a standard format to the car/adapter so that the car/adapter knows how to "talk" to the charger?

For instance old school serial, 9600 8,1, N for first comms. EA Signet charger ID 10101101 (8bit binary 173) Then the adapter would know that the Charger communicates 2,1-4,3 (16bit byte swapped, base 1 at 57600, 8,1,N)

If the charger does not ID itself how would the adapter know to switch its communication protocol to match, unless it just cycles through all possibilities until it receives a valid response?

Rich
Not that I disagree, there is clearly a market for this. Chademo is on its way out, and in some areas you may be better to find an EA charger vs a Supercharger. Idiot proof, probably not. But to be honest, I don't think an EV is idiot proof. Having had multiple emails back and forth with Setec, I'd dare say that their customer service is better than some american companies.

More updates from the backwaters of PA.... I had been trying to get this to work with a Blink station (formerly an EVGo). Setec provided v129 firmware for my evaluation. Took 3 tries, but success! First try I got a new error, vehicle disconnected. 2nd try (first with trying to capture logs) got a repeat of the Isolation fault. Try three, success! The station in question is an older 50kw. Max rate I got was 33kw with my battery at 71 SoC. Not quite a supercharger, but my choice was between this and level 2 charging, it wins. I have to give kudos to Setec. For a company on a 12 hour timezone difference, different country, they have been very responsive (to be honest, I wish Tesla would be as responsive about my MCU issues).

My take away - yes CCS can work for a Tesla
- while Tesla promises a CCS adapter Setec has developed one
- Setec has been fairly proactive to track the issues. They’ve provided a capture tool for those who want to give feedback and have released 3 new software releases in the last week based on feedback.

I don’t think I’ll return it. Will I use it a lot, probably not. But it would just ask one time I really needed it it will be worth it.

Now that the introductory (read you’re a beta tester) pricing is over, I don’t think the current price of $980 is worth it. However, should Tesla release an adapter, I’d suspect competition will drive both prices down

I have somewhat of a success to report on an EA BTCPower unit with my Model X. I they sent me v129 along with the data capture program. I tried twice without data capture, and twice while capturing data. Both times while capturing the data the charge worked! (I got charging failed messages without data capture. Could be a coincidence? I ran out of time to be able to capture a failure. Will probably try a few more times when I get the time)

But anyway, the station reported 75kw and the car 68, so not too bad at all. Would be happy with this once the kinks get worked out.

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 85
More updates from the backwaters of PA.... I had been trying to get this to work with a Blink station (formerly an EVGo). Setec provided v129 firmware for my evaluation. Took 3 tries, but success! First try I got a new error, vehicle disconnected. 2nd try (first with trying to capture logs) got a repeat of the Isolation fault. Try three, success! The station in question is an older 50kw. Max rate I got was 33kw with my battery at 71 SoC. Not quite a supercharger, but my choice was between this and level 2 charging, it wins. I have to give kudos to Setec. For a company on a 12 hour timezone difference, different country, they have been very responsive (to be honest, I wish Tesla would be as responsive about my MCU issues).

My take away - yes CCS can work for a Tesla
- while Tesla promises a CCS adapter Setec has developed one
- Setec has been fairly proactive to track the issues. They’ve provided a capture tool for those who want to give feedback and have released 3 new software releases in the last week based on feedback.

I don’t think I’ll return it. Will I use it a lot, probably not. But it would just ask one time I really needed it it will be worth it.

Now that the introductory (read you’re a beta tester) pricing is over, I don’t think the current price of $980 is worth it. However, should Tesla release an adapter, I’d suspect competition will drive both prices down

I'd think Tesla's would be more in line with the Chademo one, then I'd get one.

I have somewhat of a success to report on an EA BTCPower unit with my Model X. I they sent me v129 along with the data capture program. I tried twice without data capture, and twice while capturing data. Both times while capturing the data the charge worked! (I got charging failed messages without data capture. Could be a coincidence? I ran out of time to be able to capture a failure. Will probably try a few more times when I get the time)

But anyway, the station reported 75kw and the car 68, so not too bad at all. Would be happy with this once the kinks get worked out.

Interesting! I failed until I started capturing data also. Mmmmmm. The plot thickens.
This was also on a BTCPower charger

I tried doing another test today at my local EA station. It was working on v128, but not v129. It seems like the v129 patch they gave me that worked for the Efacec charger broke something that was working before. One step forward two steps back. I’m planning on hitting up an EA station with ABB chargers tomorrow to see what data I can capture.

Interesting! I failed until I started capturing data also. Mmmmmm. The plot thickens.
This was also on a BTCPower charger
So I went to a Porche Dealership Today to test my CCS adapter. The folks were very kind and let me do a science project to see if it worked. I could not get the adapter to work standalone. So the next step was to capture some data and send it back to SETEC. With the adapter connected to my laptop for data capture and plugged into the station, the unit worked! It was a BTC power unit also. I wonder why it works while connected to the laptop and instead of without it.

The charge test at an EA station with ABB chargers was a success. Still limited to 50kW on my Model 3. So that makes the following vendor equipment I have gotten it to work with:

Signet, Efacec, ABB, and BTC Power.

The BTC Power and Signet Chargers only worked when I was capturing data for some unknown reason.

So really looking forward to using this thing on a long trip, with no time constraints, making sure I packed the laptop, or will the tablet work, or my phone which is more powerful than the first 15 odd years of computers I had...hmmm?

The charge test at an EA station with ABB chargers was a success. Still limited to 50kW on my Model 3. So that makes the following vendor equipment I have gotten it to work with:

Signet, Efacec, ABB, and BTC Power.

The BTC Power and Signet Chargers only worked when I was capturing data for some unknown reason.

This makes me wonder, what if you didn't hook it up to a laptop but a regular power bank?

Pure speculation, but when the adapter is plugged into the laptop it may technically be always on or something like that which may affect the operation of the adapter.

Even though it "works", it may still be useful to send the data to them as they may notice something in the logs that could explain the failure and allow them to fix it without having anything plugged in.

So I went to a Porche Dealership Today to test my CCS adapter. The folks were very kind and let me do a science project to see if it worked. I could not get the adapter to work standalone. So the next step was to capture some data and send it back to SETEC. With the adapter connected to my laptop for data capture and plugged into the station, the unit worked! It was a BTC power unit also. I wonder why it works while connected to the laptop and instead of without it.