Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not familiar with how the comm works between the car, adapters, and station but if the Setec is just emulating a Chademo would a dumb, pass-thru adapter work if placed between the station CCS1 and Tesla Chademo adapter? The J1772 receptacle-to-Tesla plug for a/c charging seems to work this way.
CHAdeMO and Tesla use CANbus messaging. CCS uses PWM (pulse width modulation ).

There is no way most North American Tesla’s can communicate because they do not have the circuitry. In Europe, where they use CCS2, Model 3s have the required circuitry (and socket). For the S & X changes were made internal to the vehicles to accept the CCS2 adapter. The cost was like $500 to modify the cars.

some rumors that late production 3s and Ys might have circuitry, but. I confirmation.

see Combined Charging System - Wikipedia

Reactions: Big Earl
50kw here at 83% 125.7A 400V ....
From wh
Has anyone been able to charge above 50KW on a model 3? I don’t think they are releasing the current forcing firmware yet.
According to Randy Sinn, the M3 (and by association the MY?) is limited to 50 kw. It sounds like Setec did produce a version of the firmware to override the car and permit higher rates on the M3. It has not been released (or at least not on the website).

I think Setec for all their efforts should have disclosed this in the specifications when they listed is for sale. I’m ok with using it on my S, but if I had a M3, I think forcing the adapter to a higher rate than the Tesla firmware calls for is an open invitation to trouble. Not sure what the car logs, but let’s say it logs that it told the CHAdeMO (which is what this emulates) to give 50 kw. The Setec says hey, I’m given you 75 kw. So the logs in the car may look like you’ve hooked to a bad charger. If something breaks in the onboard charging or HV, Tesla could very well say, too bad, here’s your bill.

Thar said, with the proliferation of CCS, it still may be a better choice for M3 drivers than CHAdeMO at 50kw

From wh

According to Randy Sinn, the M3 (and by association the MY?) is limited to 50 kw. It sounds like Setec did produce a version of the firmware to override the car and permit higher rates on the M3. It has not been released (or at least not on the website).

I think Setec for all their efforts should have disclosed this in the specifications when they listed is for sale. I’m ok with using it on my S, but if I had a M3, I think forcing the adapter to a higher rate than the Tesla firmware calls for is an open invitation to trouble. Not sure what the car logs, but let’s say it logs that it told the CHAdeMO (which is what this emulates) to give 50 kw. The Setec says hey, I’m given you 75 kw. So the logs in the car may look like you’ve hooked to a bad charger. If something breaks in the onboard charging or HV, Tesla could very well say, too bad, here’s your bill.

Thar said, with the proliferation of CCS, it still may be a better choice for M3 drivers than CHAdeMO at 50kw
What would be really cool is if they could reverse engineer and spoof the super charger protocol and let you get the full 200 amps the adapter allows. Maybe in the future ....

Reactions: APotatoGod
What would be really cool is if they could reverse engineer and spoof the super charger protocol and let you get the full 200 amps the adapter allows. Maybe in the future ....
I already suggested this earlier, but I'm almost certain that the reason brand new new superchargers always have low charge rates is either the car has a GPS database, and/or if it can't negotiate billing rates it defaults to the same charging rates we're seeing with this adapter.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
I already suggested this earlier, but I'm almost certain that the reason brand new new superchargers always have low charge rates is either the car has a GPS database, and/or if it can't negotiate billing rates it defaults to the same charging rates we're seeing with this adapter.
I don't think you can take the low charge rates we've seen from this adapter and determine that's why new Superchargers sometimes have low charge rates initially. I think the real reason some Superchargers have lower rates initially is that Tesla is just bringing them online and "smoke testing" all the equipment. Once they see the new equipment can handle multiple vehicles simultaneously, they open it up to allow charging at higher rates. With that said, some new Superchargers can charge at full rates on day 1. I hit 187 kW on opening day for a brand new Supercharger with my 2017 S100D last summer.

Last edited:
Success with EA ABB charger in midland TX, running firmware v131. It took two tries but it’s working!

Initiated Charger via EA app.
Turned on adapter
Plugged in ccs cable to adapter
Plugged in adapter to car
Pressed on/off button again
Profit!

I’m only getting 40kw in car but ea is reporting 46kw.

useful info?
2020 MYP
Battery soc 45%
Battery temp 90 DegF
Ambient temperature is 55 DegF
Climate is off

Success with EA ABB charger in midland TX, running firmware v131. It took two tries but it’s working!

Initiated Charger via EA app.
Turned on adapter
Plugged in ccs cable to adapter
Plugged in adapter to car
Pressed on/off button again
Profit!

I’m only getting 40kw in car but ea is reporting 46kw.

useful info?
2020 MYP
Battery soc 45%
Battery temp 90 DegF
Ambient temperature is 55 DegF
Climate is off
Yes useful, thanks

Good day of testing today. Was heading from PA to NY, so decided to kill sometime and test.

- Northbound NJ tpke, East Brunswick. Tested on EVGo 50kw CCS. BTCPower - worked perfect
- East Brunswick EA 150kw Signet - worked perfect
- JFK Airport Carphone lot - 350kw BTCPower - first unit would not recognize credit card. 2nd unit did, but handshake took forever and it faulted out not being able to to Isolation test (isolation test time out). Did not have time to capture data, but model of charger reported to Setec. Next time I'm by JFK I'll try to capture data.

Was watching a youtube video last night from OutofSpec Motoring on driving a new Taycan from florida to NJ. He had just as much problems, if not more, using the EA network than we've had with this adapter. The real issue (in my mind) is that there is just too much variability in the implementation of the 'standard'.

To be honest, if I had just blown the price of a Taycan to have those issues (especially since the SuperCharger network is almost perfect plug and play) I'd be fit to be tied. Also came across a piece on EA compatibility testing. Appears that the variability is also on the vehicle side as well. I guess EA was having issues with Chevy Sparks, and more of an issue is that since they are pretty much orphans, GM wasn't in a rush to fix their software.

Was watching a youtube video last night from OutofSpec Motoring on driving a new Taycan from florida to NJ. He had just as much problems, if not more, using the EA network than we've had with this adapter. The real issue (in my mind) is that there is just too much variability in the implementation of the 'standard'.

Yeah it is pretty sad that the EA network, essentially owned by VW, doesn't even work properly with their own cars.

Yeah it is pretty sad that the EA network, essentially owned by VW, doesn't even work properly with their own cars.
The paranoid point of view is that VW is satisfied with this situation. EA is a stationary “compliance car.” It demonstrates regulatory compliance, but doesn’t advance the business.
  1. VW doesn’t have many EVs to sell in the US. Hardcore brand and EV fanatics will buy those vehicles regardless of EA situation.
  2. Why should VW spend time and money helping competitors establish their EV franchise? Most Mustang Mach E reviews conclude it’s best for local driving only since CCS network coverage still has large blank spaces, chargers are frequently broken and it can be difficult to get an operational one to accept your card and charge your vehicle.
Most Mustang Mach E videos and reviews feature a road trip that:
  • Was canceled because the reviewer wasn’t confident they could find fast charging at the midpoint or destination.
  • Took far longer than expected or became a nail-biter because of CCS charger issues.
Do you think EA or VW executives are worried about Ford’s black eye? Were you surprised that EA stayed on the phone every minute with the Taycan that set a new EV cross-country record? Do you think Ford will get the same white glove coverage if someone tries that with a large-battery Mach E? Or GM when the Cadillac emerges?

When VW has boatloads of EVs to sell in this country, EA will have motivation and likely additional funding to get over the hump. Broken chargers will be detected instantly and repaired promptly. Payment and integration problems will become rare.

Until then, I expect EA charging will remain an adventure.

Tesla has done pretty well growing and supporting its Supercharger network. I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist, though Elon certainly knows where to find some if necessary.

Last edited:
Good day of testing today. Was heading from PA to NY, so decided to kill sometime and test.

- Northbound NJ tpke, East Brunswick. Tested on EVGo 50kw CCS. BTCPower - worked perfect
- East Brunswick EA 150kw Signet - worked perfect
- JFK Airport Carphone lot - 350kw BTCPower - first unit would not recognize credit card. 2nd unit did, but handshake took forever and it faulted out not being able to to Isolation test (isolation test time out). Did not have time to capture data, but model of charger reported to Setec. Next time I'm by JFK I'll try to capture data.
When you say "worked perfect", were you getting 40kW or something else?

Yeah, I used to own a Chevy Bolt and my success rate with EA was 50%, as defined by charging the first time. I never got stranded, but had to move from charger to charger to get a charge. I (and others) found that their credit card readers are particularly bad and it worked better to use their app to activate their chargers. EA is aware of the issues and shut down the whole eastern seaboard over Labor day weekend to fix the chargers. Based on Kyle's experiences, I'm not sure how well their fix worked.

Did the supercharger show up in the nav and were you billed? A lot of people getting low charge rate report it's not in the nav and they charge for free.
I can't recall if it showed up in the nav or not. We were out of town scouting another Supercharger site and someone posted online that the new location had just opened. We adjusted the navigation but I can't remember if it was to the new Supercharger or the existing one across the street. It was free since that car has free supercharging for as long as we own it.

I just charged at a new supercharger last night that was not on the navigation and didn’t bill. I received higher rates than the 125 amps you’re suggesting. It wasn’t much higher, but the SOC was high and the battery was still cold with regen dots being displayed due to not navigating to a supercharger.

I’ve charged at several other brand new superchargers (not on Mac, no billing) over the years and some have been slow, while others have been pretty quick. Definitely not a fixed limit.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Just a thought, it sure would be nice to have an advanced info tab somewhere on the MCU that you could enable and it would tell you, KW from car requested, KW from charger received. That way users would know if the bottleneck is the car or the charger.

There are many reasons for the charger to not output its maximum that are unrelated to the car.

Charger problems (failed components, temperature]
Electrical capacity (de rated due to demand)
Improper settings, or communication issues