Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess, totally a guess, that SETEC wanted to make an adapter, but almost no public DC chargers in China is CCS1, so they have to go to other countries to do field development. S. Korea is probably the most coinvent one. So they found someone local to help. After testing, they released it not foreseeing the compatibility issues in other countries.
So far as I know, SETEC is a Chinese company while at least one of the adapter developers is S. Korean.

What is the story here ?

Last edited:
E787BEBA-930A-45AD-8AB6-CB10A6647316.jpeg Got my car back from Tesla, so figured I would add to the testing. SETEC firmware 131. EA in Palo Alto at Stanford Mall. 150kW BTC Power station. Worked like a charm first try.

Charging at 35kw but I was already 64% SOC. I will upload a picture of the equipment label/specs later today.

I am super happy. This will solve some problems on routes to skiing that I worried about. Not an issue any more if they keep at the firmware improvements.

Glad I bought one early at the reduced pricing. Love the Supercharger network. But when you need this option, this is great. And as an example, like most EA stations, this station setup has 3 CCS and one Chademo. Definitely the better option to have CCS.

Will be trying other locations and vendors next.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and theothertom
As of firmware V130 (3rd try for me), the adapter is working with the [Chargepoint Express 250] stations in Newfoundland, Canada.

The stations are currently being installed, and at the moment, are configured for 50 kW max. Getting the same rates as I would on a CHAdeMO adapter. In February the stations are going to be reconfigured for 62.5 kW max - and then I'll see how much better it can be for me.

SETEC customer support has been very responsive and easy to deal with.

Finally, Randy Sinn - THANKS!

I guess, totally a guess, that SETEC wanted to make an adapter, but almost no public DC chargers in China is CCS1, so they have to go to other countries to do field development. S. Korea is probably the most coinvent one. So they found someone local to help. After testing, they released it not foreseeing the compatibility issues in other countries.
Possibly. Or, the South Korean Tesla enthusiasts didn't have a local manufacturing partner so they found one in Setec.

There are likely 0 or close to 0 public CCS1 chargers in China. It wouldn't make any sense to have any as there are already GB/T standards there for AC and DC fast charging.

Reactions: theothertom
CHAdeMO and Tesla use CANbus messaging. CCS uses PWM (pulse width modulation ).

There is no way most North American Tesla’s can communicate because they do not have the circuitry. In Europe, where they use CCS2, Model 3s have the required circuitry (and socket). For the S & X changes were made internal to the vehicles to accept the CCS2 adapter. The cost was like $500 to modify the cars.

some rumors that late production 3s and Ys might have circuitry, but. I confirmation.

see Combined Charging System - Wikipedia

The charging port card may have been changed wrt to my 2017 MS100D.

On my 12/21 build MS LR+ the charge door needs a push at the LH corner to open as a push on the wand button does not open the door, after charging, pushing the wand button will release the locking pin and the wand can be removed.
I am using a Gen2 HPWC.

The RF circuitry may have been removed making room for the Qualcom GreenPHY or its equivalent.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
On my 12/21 build MS LR+ the charge door needs a push at the LH corner to open as a push on the wand button does not open the door, after charging, pushing the wand button will release the locking pin and the wand can be removed.
I am using a Gen2 HPWC.
My 09/19 M3 worked quite well for the first ~8 months, but is nearly completely unresponsive to my mobile connector button press now. I suspect it's a software issue, rather than hardware.

Reactions: theothertom
The charging port card may have been changed wrt to my 2017 MS100D.

I am using a Gen2 HPWC.

The RF circuitry may have been removed making room for the Qualcom GreenPHY or its equivalent.

My 09/19 M3 worked quite well for the first ~8 months, but is nearly completely unresponsive to my mobile connector button press now. I suspect it's a software issue, rather than hardware.

I had a similar issue - my M3 would not open, or opened a bit; I found too if I pried it a half inch open, pushing the charger plug button got it to open the rest of the way. Tesla Mobile Service replaced the port and door. Works better. i do find sometimes it does not respond to the charger button (Gen 2 wall mount) and I have to open the port from the screen, especially if the car has gone to sleep.

When you say "worked perfect", were you getting 40kW or something else?

Yeah, I used to own a Chevy Bolt and my success rate with EA was 50%, as defined by charging the first time. I never got stranded, but had to move from charger to charger to get a charge. I (and others) found that their credit card readers are particularly bad and it worked better to use their app to activate their chargers. EA is aware of the issues and shut down the whole eastern seaboard over Labor day weekend to fix the chargers. Based on Kyle's experiences, I'm not sure how well their fix worked.

Yes, at chargers rated above 50 kw I've gotten greater than. Remember though, I have a Model S. As posted by Randy Sinn, the code on the M3 limits to 50kw.

Not sure if this might be the root cause, but the first thing I’d check is to see if the little plastic piece on the inside corner of the charge port door is missing. That will cause the car to not respond to button clicks on the charge connector/handle.
Piece of plastic from charge door, what is this?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
Well that Tweet was pretty scary. I had zero problems at an EA charger. I wonder what happened. That is extreme.

View attachment 627931 Got my car back from Tesla, so figured I would add to the testing. SETEC firmware 131. EA in Palo Alto at Stanford Mall. 150kW BTC Power station. Worked like a charm first try.

Charging at 35kw but I was already 64% SOC. I will upload a picture of the equipment label/specs later today.

I am super happy. This will solve some problems on routes to skiing that I worried about. Not an issue any more if they keep at the firmware improvements.

Glad I bought one early at the reduced pricing. Love the Supercharger network. But when you need this option, this is great. And as an example, like most EA stations, this station setup has 3 CCS and one Chademo. Definitely the better option to have CCS.

Will be trying other locations and vendors next.

I just went and gave my Chademo adapter a hug. She might be a little slow and chunky, but she never fails to give me a charge. :).

just sayin.
I have one of these too but was really hoping that CCS would open up a bunch of options for when I am in the mountains/snow and I need to get charged no matter what. But this is just so disappointing after an initial great start working with SETEC and my initial try on the latest firmware going perfectly without a hitch. I wonder if the actual EA charger was borked as opposed to the SETEC but who the hell wants to test that out??? Now overnight I am going from "this is the greatest thing" to "wow, what an expensive paperweight" LOL.:confused: