Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the newest firmware, what has been the highest kW charge rate people with a Model S or X seen when SOC is low (~20%)?

I'm running firmware 139 on my Model X and getting about 78kW on different EA chargers the last few days. Will do 200 Amps all the way up to about 75% or so until the car tapers. Took a crappy video here while holding my kid...

It actually seems pretty reliable now. I've charged about 60kWh worth in 3 different places in the last week with no problems.

Happy to have it now as a backup or additional location options in crowded SoCal. When the v2 and urban chargers are >50% full, there's no speed loss in choosing an EA location. Probably makes less sense for 3/Y over the official chademo adapter though

Details are here, how it actually works and why Model S/X can do higher (actually it can do more than 200A, but the adapter limits itself to protect itself), but Model 3/Y can't.

Random theory as to why that's the case: the S and X, using the CCS adapter in Europe, can go higher than 200A so that code base has a higher software limit, so dc fast charging at a non-Tesla charger doesn't have that limit. On the other hand, the Model 3 officially only supports the Chademo adapter, so they've capped it at 125A for non-Tesla DCFC because there isn't anything today that supports >125A. When the CCS1 adapter comes out in Korea, I suspect that the cap will be raised.

Of course Tesla could have made it so that S&X in NA could have only charged at 125A while other cars in different regions could go higher, but maybe they wanted to keep it simple.

The question at that point is if the power limit change would be rolled out to all Model 3s with the NA port or just to the cars in Korea.

Reactions: mociaf9
... getting about 78kW on different EA chargers the last few days....
When the v2 and urban chargers are >50% full, there's no speed loss in choosing an EA location. ...
You are confused about the urban chargers > 50% full remark as they are not shared.

From the Tesla blog and many other articles:

Supercharging
Superchargers in urban areas deliver a nearly consistent 72 kilowatts (kW) of power, even if another Tesla begins charging in an adjacent stall.

Supercharging Cities
To increase efficiency and support a high volume of cars, these Superchargers have a new architecture that delivers a rapid 72 kilowatts of dedicated power to each car. This means charging speeds are unaffected by Tesla vehicles plugging into adjacent Superchargers ...

Ok, seems that EVGO is on to the Setec adapter, and just issued a change in terms of service. To quote the email I got

"Authorized Charging Adapters
For your safety, EVgo only permits the use of automaker-manufactured charging adapters on EVgo charging stations or with EVgo’s charging network (“Authorized Adapters”). EVgo prohibits the use of all other adapters (“Unauthorized Adapters”) on EVgo’s network and charging stations.

Prohibition of Home-Built Electric Vehicles, Modified Vehicles, and Modified Chargers

Similarly, EVgo prohibits the use of all home-built electric vehicles, home-built onboard chargers, and vehicles that contain personally-modified chargers (“Unauthorized Vehicles and Chargers”). "

I suspect they consider the Setec an 'unauthorized adapter'. Not that they could really enforce this, but I guess if you burn your car up, or toast their charger, they could have a claim against the user for damages. I wonder if this was motivated by both YouTube reviews and / or Tesla

Ironically, one of the earlier tests I did with the Setec on my Model S was the 50kw EVGo on the NJ Tpke, and it worked flawlessly.

This all said, perhaps posting on social media 'success' using the Setec on EVGo should be restrained

Last edited:
Ok, seems that EVGO is on to the Setec adapter, and just issued a change in terms of service. To quote the email I got

For your safety, EVgo only permits the use of automaker-manufactured charging adapters on EVgo charging stations or with EVgo’s charging network (“Authorized Adapters”). EVgo prohibits the use of all other adapters (“Unauthorized Adapters”) on EVgo’s network and charging stations.

Prohibition of Home-Built Electric Vehicles, Modified Vehicles, and Modified Chargers

Similarly, EVgo prohibits the use of all home-built electric vehicles, home-built onboard chargers, and vehicles that contain personally-modified chargers (“Unauthorized Vehicles and Chargers”). "

I suspect they consider the Setec an 'unauthorized adapter'. Not that they could really enforce this, but I guess if you burn your car up, or toast their charger, they could have a claim against the user for damages. I wonder if this was motivated by both YouTube reviews and / or Tesla.
I would view this as more of a CYA statement more than a basis for claiming damages. You know, should your car be damaged while charging via the adapter on an EVgo station, if you sue they can point to this as a legal protection because yours wasn't an approved use.

I would view this as more of a CYA statement more than a basis for claiming damages. You know, should your car be damaged while charging via the adapter on an EVgo station, if you sue they can point to this as a legal protection because yours wasn't an approved use.
Yeah, I think this is happening for liability reasons. L3 charging uses a ton of energy, and even a minor problem can cause serious damage to the car, charger, and nearby humans/structures/etc.

Also, if you use a 3rd party adapter, and it breaks the EVgo charger, this gives them the right to sue you for the cost of repairs.

Reactions: IdaX and cwerdna

I suspect they consider the Setec an 'unauthorized adapter'. Not that they could really enforce this, but I guess if you burn your car up, or toast their charger, they could have a claim against the user for damages. I wonder if this was motivated by both YouTube reviews and / or Tesla

Ironically, one of the earlier tests I did with the Setec on my Model S was the 50kw EVGo on the NJ Tpke, and it worked flawlessly.

This all said, perhaps posting on social media 'success' using the Setec on EVGo should be restrained
Thanks. You beat me to the punch. Someone at EVgo changes terms of service also posted the contents of the email which I haven't received yet.

The price has dropped from $980.00 to $660.00. If you want to be a tester you can get one for only $460.00. CCS Adapter | SETEC POWER (setec-power.com)
Suggest the testers help them with the wording on this. It sounds pretty awkward/odd.
*There is one CCS combo 1 charger, when the Tesla with US standard vehicle inlet come , then can not charge the Tesla . In this case , will need to our CCS adapter.
*Both two side with plug , one side connect with CCS combo 1 plug , the other side will connect with electric car vehicle inlet.
0UkA3iW.jpg

Suggest the testers help them with the wording on this. It sounds pretty awkward/odd.

0UkA3iW.jpg

This sounds like a skit on Jimmy Fallon/Tonight show, where he takes a song, translates it via Google Translate to another language, then back to English :)

Wonder when the Tesla OEM one will be available. There was talk about it last year for the US market...

My best guess is that they are trying to say:
* When CCS combo 1 is the only available plug, you cannot charge the US market Teslas. In this case, you will need our CCS adapter.
* The adapter has two sides. One side is the CCS combo 1 receptacle, the other side will plug in to Tesla cars.

Nothing special, just very awkward translations.

Reactions: masotime
I didn't the read the whole thread, so apologies if this is well known already. I just returned my charger adapter to Setec (at my cost) after attempting to use it at an Evgo station. It threw 'communication with car failed' errors. I attempted to update the firmware, but their garbage updater app kept crashing and my laptop didn't even detect the charger when plugged in. Overall negative experience and wish I hadn't bothered. I was just happy to escape with most of my money.

I received my unit the other day and drove around testing it out here in West Canada on my Model S 70D after updating it to the v141 firmware.

So far it's worked on the three different stations I've tried it on. I always use these exact steps:
1) Press button to turn on adapter
2) Connect CCS
3) Plug into Tesla
4) Press button again (light blue ring light turns on)
5) Start CCS charger (either in app or the machine)

Most notably, I get the full 200A since it's a Model S:
1615233947423.png

Now that I have this in my hands and have used it so I can compare it to Supercharging, the ultimate power limit for this appears to be 80kW being 400V X 200A for vehicles with a 400V battery pack. For those with a 350V pack like I do, the ultimate limit is 70kW

Depending on your vehicle, you may never see this rate though. The Model 3/Y are limited to 125A on the vehicle side so 50kW is the best you can ever see.

Looking at the Supercharger charge taper graphs at A Better Route Planner, the highest I will ever see on my 70D should be around 65kW and the 60(D) would probably see a little lower. From what I can tell, the 85/90/100 packs should peak somewhere around 75kW.

My opinion is that at the "tester price" of $460 it's a great alternative to the $400 Tesla CHAdeMO adapter while the standard $660 is passable because of the greater capability and greater CCS availability. The "full" $980 price is way too much.

Last edited:
... My opinion is that at the "tester price" of $460 it's a great alternative to the $400 Tesla CHAdeMO adapter while the standard $660 is passable because of the greater capability and greater CCS availability. The "full" $980 price is way too much.

I wonder if this is why Tesla dropped the price of the CHAdeMO adapter to $400 (USD)...

So with the latest firmware revs, are there still a significant number of cases where it doesn't work?