Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I played Russian Roulette with this adapter, and finally got the bullet in the chamber this time. I fried my charge port I believe. My car will not charge on either AC or DC.

As a clarification , I was using an experimental firmware that "spoofed" the Super charger protocol. Getting the car towed to the service center tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed.
OUCH. Really sorry to hear about this, and thanks for sharing.

Whom do you expect to pay the repair bill ?

Yes, it was a v149 Supercharger firmware to get more than 125 amps.
What model Tesla?
So I played Russian Roulette with this adapter, and finally got the bullet in the chamber this time. I fried my charge port I believe. My car will not charge on either AC or DC.

As a clarification , I was using an experimental firmware that "spoofed" the Super charger protocol. Getting the car towed to the service center tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed.

2019 Model 3 LR Dual Motor
This is interesting. I believe several months ago someone posted to Reddit the same type of problem. (It fried the AC charger. Somehow DC got connected to the AC charger. Also the logic that controls switching from AC to DC charging got toasted as well, and I believe (not sure) it is in the AC charger)

Which charging adapter? Which firmware?
I have not heard of any charger or firmware that "spoofs" the Teslasuper charger. Can you clarify your statements with facts?
Otherwise, I think people can believe this is a "rumors and propaganda" post.

I have not heard of any charger or firmware that "spoofs" the Teslasuper charger. Can you clarify your statements with facts?
Here you go:
Also, the name of the adapter is literally the title of this whole discussion.

Also, why would he lie about this?

Also, your immediate knee jerk defense of Tesla being perfect is showing here, and is the worst thing about some owners.

Otherwise, I think people can believe this is a "rumors and propaganda
I'm attaching my test log capture and the firmware I used if you want to try it yourself. Don't blame be if it causes you problems. Caveat Emptor.

Attachments

• efacec 40kw super fail.txt
    42.5 KB · Views: 67
  • efacec 50kw super fail 2nd try.txt
    43.5 KB · Views: 63
  • signet 150kw super fail.txt
    42.6 KB · Views: 72
  • V149_Super.exe.zip
    101.3 KB · Views: 49
The charging adapter that this very thread you are in specifically discusses! It's by Setec and was developed by a South Korean Tesla owners group. Here's some posts to get you up to speed on its history.

When used on the Model 3/Y, it's limited to 125A due to the car requesting only that (others speculated Model 3/Y is still simulating the CHAdeMO adapter).

Firmware he already answered in a later post, it was v149 to get more than 200A from his Model 3.
Here's some previous discussion about another incident that had discussion about the experimental 200A firmware. There was another incident where port got disabled, but it was under "safe" 125A firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H
Not a very auspicious beginning , maybe familiarize yourself with the thread before jumping in next time.

Here you go:
Also, the name of the adapter is literally the title of this whole discussion.

Also, why would he lie about this?

Also, your immediate knee jerk defense of Tesla being perfect is showing here, and is the worst thing about some owners.
I think knee jerk response is pretty much spot on.
Sorry for not doing more homework and reviewing all the posts.
Unfortunately, once I made the post, I had no way to go back and review, edit or delete.
After sitting back and looking at my post, it really looks like a jerk move.

For those who live near an EA site and are low on juice, might be worth swinging by to see if they were set to "complimentary session".

I got lucky on Friday (4/2) night as I posted at Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set.... At the SF Bay Area location I was at, all 3 DC FCs + the J1772 EVSE said complimentary session on them. I was able to take advantage. :)

Not sure when it'll end and if it was limited to just that site or my area.

Ouch that hurts.
I really wish that Tesla would get off their lazy *** and build an adapter that works. :mad:

Reactions: sdoorex
For those who live near an EA site and are low on juice, might be worth swinging by to see if they were set to "complimentary session".

I got lucky on Friday (4/2) night as I posted at Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set.... At the SF Bay Area location I was at, all 3 DC FCs + the J1772 EVSE said complimentary session on them. I was able to take advantage. :)

Not sure when it'll end and if it was limited to just that site or my area.
Was free again on the night of 4/3 at the same site and another one a few miles away. I charged again for free at the same site as the above but couldn't pick up much juice since my car was still pretty full.

I wonder when it'll end.

How's the repair going? Curious to hear any details.

Reactions: IdaX
Forgive my ignorance, or if I missed this, and at the risk of getting off-topic since this isn't the SETEC adapter, but has anybody tried this?:

$800 is way too spendy for me, especially when it's sounding like the SETEC adapter at $460 is working for people (when they don't try to hotwire it ;)).

Still hoping for proprietary Tesla for peace of mind...

Forgive my ignorance, or if I missed this, and at the risk of getting off-topic since this isn't the SETEC adapter, but has anybody tried this?:

$800 is way too spendy for me, especially when it's sounding like the SETEC adapter at $460 is working for people (when they don't try to hotwire it ;)).

Still hoping for proprietary Tesla for peace of mind...
That's come up before, and looks like it just is the Setec adapter, repackaged? In fact, you can see the Setec logo molded into the plastic on the circular "boss" in the main image...