Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally got my car back from the service center after waiting on parts for about a month. Looks like the adapter caused some pretty good damage, but the repairs were free since I’m still under warranty. I did not tell them about the adapter.

following items were replaced :
Charger port MCU
Charge port to PCS (onboard charger) HV cable
Charge port to Battery HV cable
PCS (power conversion system)

So I finally got my car back from the service center after waiting on parts for about a month. Looks like the adapter caused some pretty good damage, but the repairs were free since I’m still under warranty. I did not tell them about the adapter.

following items were replaced :
Charger port MCU
Charge port to PCS (onboard charger) HV cable
Charge port to Battery HV cable
PCS (power conversion system)
That's pretty terrifying -- stupid question: Would you use it again?

And sorry if I missed this, but did you contact SETEC and if so, what was their response?

Reactions: kayak1
That implies that such frying can occur when using totally normal equipment? I would've thought they'd notice something unusual in the logs but if they didn't that's quite a surprise to me.

Yeah, I would hope that they would look at the logs and try to figure out what happened, and how they can prevent it. But maybe they can't. Maybe the adapter negotiated J1772 to send AC and then sent DC which fried things. But they probably won't spend a lot of time on this unless it becomes more common. (Which is Setec does their job wouldn't continue to happen.)

That is the reason I’m fully behind Setec prioritizing the compatibility of all the CCS1 brands out there (like greenlots!) over the *speed* of their charging adapter.

As secondary (emergency) charging equipment, I’m glad enough as it is at 50kW max.
Yea you are correct. I just got greedy. I would probably use it again at the 50KW speed if I was in a pinch.

I would buy this device if @Reddy_KW hadn't fried his car. Although it does seem that the developers of this product are taking quality issues seriously.

I think I now understand the reasons why Tesla hasn't released a CCS1 adapter. I do hope the have designed the V2 superchargers to allow the attachment of both Tesla and CCS1 cords.

Reactions: SQLDevDBA
The experimental firmware (v149) wasn’t even found on the website, a person had to actually dig around to obtain it. Seeing how that one can brick a car, I don’t see much demand for it.

At that time, the latest firmware on the website was v141, which I used successfully so far at Chargepoint, EVGo, and Electrify America by Volkswagon (EAV). I was unsuccessful at Greenlots.

Now that v150 is on the website I may try that greenlots again to see if it works.

It seams like in the two instances we've heard about the adapter damaging the car, the user was using or had used the experimental >50kw firmware.
Thanks. Two is really not a great track record. The number of units sold is probably in the hundreds. Some/most units sold probably haven't been used yet. Some failures damaging the car would not be reported online at all.

Frying the charging ability of the car while traveling and in a low SOC would be a major bummer. I would be at least 200 miles from home if I'm using this CCS adapter.

I know Chademo is finicky, but has anyone heard of damage from that adapter use? I haven't. Like other people here I'm fine with 50kw max.

Frying the charging ability of the car while traveling and in a low SOC would be a major bummer. I would be at least 200 miles from home if I'm using this CCS adapter.
That's kind of a ridiculous scenario, though. I don't think anyone who is on a real practical traveling trip would be trying to run experiments with questionable, non-production firmware versions. Someone would be doing that near where they live while not on a trip.

Reactions: Exelion
That's kind of a ridiculous scenario, though. I don't think anyone who is on a real practical traveling trip would be trying to run experiments with questionable, non-production firmware versions. Someone would be doing that near where they live while not on a trip.

The users who damaged their cars didn't write the firmware. The developers posted the firmware you call questionable and obviously didn't understand the implications of their code changes. Lots of volts and amps in play here. This isn't just some app that crashed disappointingly on a new release.

What else do the developers not understand? Did the two cars that got fried also damage other components in their battery packs?

The users who damaged their cars didn't write the firmware. The developers posted the firmware you call questionable and obviously didn't understand the implications of their code changes. Lots of volts and amps in play here. This isn't just some app that crashed disappointingly on a new release.

What else do the developers not understand? Did the two cars that got fried also damage other components in their battery packs?
So I played Russian Roulette with this adapter, and finally got the bullet in the chamber this time. I fried my charge port I believe. My car will not charge on either AC or DC.

As a clarification , I was using an experimental firmware that "spoofed" the Super charger protocol. Getting the car towed to the service center tomorrow.
Hopefully it can be fixed.
Note that Reddy_KW had pulled down experimental firmware and not the firmware that was generally available. It was clear that he was not using the released version.