Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to the topic of the thread. ....

had to actually use my Setec adapter ‘in anger’ as the SC was full up. At an EVolveNY BTC station at JFK airport first try gave low output (27kw) and it faulted out after a minute. Similar to what Crazypostman on YouTube got.
Tried another unit. Worked no problem (v1.49). On a Tesla S maxed out at 73 kw (196 amps)
C944BFC2-DC7F-4504-9683-AC5A96F92925.jpeg

Attachments

• E9D17BAC-399C-48B1-A0A9-178CC8964121.jpeg
    E9D17BAC-399C-48B1-A0A9-178CC8964121.jpeg
    844.2 KB · Views: 62
  • ED6581A0-C85A-4B91-963F-EA64DC910AAF.jpeg
    ED6581A0-C85A-4B91-963F-EA64DC910AAF.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 61
Back to the topic of the thread. ....

had to actually use my Setec adapter ‘in anger’ as the SC was full up. At an EVolveNY BTC station at JFK airport first try gave low output (27kw) and it faulted out after a minute. Similar to what Crazypostman on YouTube got.
Tried another unit. Worked no problem (v1.49). On a Tesla S maxed out at 73 kw (196 amps) View attachment 657834
it would be interesting to see the results if you used the 100kW Chademo

Just ordered mine. Thanks to everyone here for their comments and feedback.

Mainly ordered because I’m taking a trip to Pigeon Forge/Sevierville TN in our 2 Model Ys at the end of may (the PF SC doesn’t open until Q42021), and last time we went we suffered some range anxiety.
Was waiting for availability on the Chademo adapter, but not sure if/when that will happen.

Hoping to test it the day after I receive it. If it works, great. If not I’ll return it.

Last edited:
Also, CCS is far more prevalent than CHAdeMO.
Not really. CCS has probably pulled ahead now of CHAdeMO in the US but I wouldn't call it "far more prevalent". It might look that way with EA's minimum effort to "support" CHAdeMO of 1 CHAdeMO plug at a site vs. usually 5-7 CCS. The most eggregious I've heard of is an EA location w/1 CHAdeMO vs. 19 CCS.

Not really. CCS has probably pulled ahead now of CHAdeMO in the US but I wouldn't call it "far more prevalent". It might look that way with EA's minimum effort to "support" CHAdeMO of 1 CHAdeMO plug at a site vs. usually 5-7 CCS. The most eggregious I've heard of is an EA location w/1 CHAdeMO vs. 19 CCS.
This article from last June tends to disagree with that statement. To me, that is a big difference and the 'count' is almost a year old (US: Number Of CCS Chargers Outnumber CHAdeMO By 28%) ...

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 57
Seems to me that CCS is well ahead of Chademo in total chargers but not locations. So a CCS adapter should be prefereed if the likely use is to go to an EA site to avoid a busy Supercharger. But what I see is that level 3 in more rural areas is one CCS and one Chademo.

For my occasional need in rural driving I see no advantage to CCS. I do see an advantage of using an adapter made by Tesla. Clearly misconfigured firmware in these level 3 adapters can damage the car.

Reactions: Big Earl
I do see an advantage of using an adapter made by Tesla. Clearly misconfigured firmware in these level 3 adapters can damage the car.
I agree with this sentiment. I wish Tesla would have released a CCS1 adapter by now (although I am sure by the discussion in the last few pages that they are, due to the Japan/Korea initiative).

I’ve purchased the Setec adapter as a last resort, and intend to use it that way (primarily to use EA where super chargers aren’t available).
As soon as a Tesla adapter is released, I’ll buy that as well and sell the Setec one for a fraction of what I paid.

Just ordered mine. Thanks to everyone here for their comments and feedback.

Mainly ordered because I’m taking a trip to Pigeon Forge/Sevierville TN in our 2 Model Ys at the end of may (the PF SC doesn’t open until Q42021), and last time we went we suffered some range anxiety.
Was waiting for availability on the Chademo adapter, but not sure if/when that will happen.

Hoping to test it the day after I receive it. If it works, great. If not I’ll return it.
Would recommend updating to v1.50 firmware as soon as you get it

also, be aware there are some compatibility issues. So far, most people have had good success with EA stations. Until you’re sure you’re compatible with the station you need, don’t back yourself into a corner charge wise

And don't forget to report back which chargers (vendor brand AND cabinet maker) don't work!

This helps us to avoid ones we know won't work with the Setec adapter.

Also, I've yet to see a cabinet that only has CHAdeMO. Every dual outlet cabinet I've ever seen are either has CCS/CHAdeMO or CCS/CCS. Not counting the EVGo's with three (CCS/CHAdeMO/Tesla). This seems to favor the CCS adapter over the CHAdeMO.

Has anyone ever seen a CHAdeMO/CHAdeMO cabinet?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
And don't forget to report back which chargers (vendor brand AND cabinet maker) don't work!

This helps us to avoid ones we know won't work with the Setec adapter.

Also, I've yet to see a cabinet that only has CHAdeMO. Every dual outlet cabinet I've ever seen are either has CCS/CHAdeMO or CCS/CCS. Not counting the EVGo's with three (CCS/CHAdeMO/Tesla). This seems to favor the CCS adapter over the CHAdeMO.

I've never noticed one, but I think they must exist, the NREL data on the Department of Energy site reports 3,532 CCS stations with a total of 6,547 plugs and 3,572 Chademo stations with a total of 4,660 plugs. Selecting "both" shows 4,080 stations and 7,663 plugs. Digging more into their data, it looks like ~550 Chademo only and ~500 CCS only.

Sure. All of the early Blink CHAdeMO chargers were that.

Examples:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

These were deployed years before a single CCS car shipped in the US.

Last edited:
I've never noticed one, but I think they must exist, the NREL data on the Department of Energy site reports 3,532 CCS stations with a total of 6,547 plugs and 3,572 Chademo stations with a total of 4,660 plugs. Selecting "both" shows 4,080 stations

I don't get the *both* part. If CCS has 3,532, and CHAdeMO has 3,572, how can *both* (which is a subset of those two) be 4,660?

I don't get the *both* part. If CCS has 3,532, and CHAdeMO has 3,572, how can *both* (which is a subset of those two) be 4,660?
"Both" in this instance is the union of the sets, not the intersection. So it shows all the stations which have both CCS and CHAdeMO plugs (~3,000) as well as all the stations with only CCS (~500) or only CHAdeMO (~550). Maybe you misread the final line, but the both figure was reported as 4,080, which is right in line with the above numbers. "4,660" was the number of CHAdeMO plugs.

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion and e of pi
Also, I've yet to see a cabinet that only has CHAdeMO.
Besides the dual CHAdeMO old Blink units, many Nissan dealers and even EVGo early on had these single handle CHAdeMO units:

These all were also installed years before a single CCS car shipped in the US.

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You has a single CPE 100 with CHAdeMO only, next to a CPE 100 with CCS only. The former is currently in image 19 and 30. I've charged at that location numerous times but on CCS, since I have a Bolt.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H

"Both" in this instance is the union of the sets, not the intersection. So it shows all the stations which have both CCS and CHAdeMO plugs (~3,000) as well as all the stations with only CCS (~500) or only CHAdeMO (~550). Maybe you misread the final line, but the both figure was reported as 4,080, which is right in line with the above numbers. "4,660" was the number of CHAdeMO plugs.
@Exelion , this is it--I was getting sloppy with my terminology. In the tool, if you have more than one plug type selected (i.e. "you have both selected"), it gives the union of the two types--any station which has either a CCS plug OR a Chademo plug, with the # of plugs being the sum of all Chademo and CCS, modulo any typos I introduced copying data over.

When discussing each type of station, I then broke it out into those with CCS only, those with Chademo only, and those with both types, and thus was using "both" two different ways. And as mociaf9 also points out, 4,660 is the total number of Chademo plugs, not the number of Chamdeo sites--most are only one, but a few have two or more, so 3500ish Chademo sites have 4600ish Chademo plugs.

Would recommend updating to v1.50 firmware as soon as you get it

also, be aware there are some compatibility issues. So far, most people have had good success with EA stations. Until you’re sure you’re compatible with the station you need, don’t back yourself into a corner charge wise
Thank you! Yes I heard v150 is the way to go, and I plan to do the standard 50kW rate to keep things on the safe side.

luckily the EA station I plan on going to (Kodak, TN) is en route to my destination (Knoxville>Pigeon Forge) so if it doesn’t work we’ll just keep on driving. I’m taking both of my MYPs so it would be nice to be able to top up and not have to do 110V charging at our cabin or have to wait around at 6kW stations.

cheers!