Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I have not seen those cabinets at the EA chargers here. They more or less all look like this one. Don’t know if its Efacec but I will look around the cabinet for the brand name next time I’m there.

Attachments

• D8C0399A-7CF2-4C87-8830-DB4E2B1BA022.jpeg
    D8C0399A-7CF2-4C87-8830-DB4E2B1BA022.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 111
^^^
I'm guessing the above are not Efacec.

https://electricmobility.efacec.com/portfolio-items/dc-fast-chargers-to-provide-charging/ and Some Electrify America sites have been going offline due to a cooling system issue might show the/a style of Efacec that EA uses.

If I had to guess, based upon quick Google image searches and page 7 of https://newspress-electrifyamerica.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/original/264-2018ElectrifyAmericaNationalAnnualReport.pdf, the pic you attached is of BTC Power.

If you have the locations and/or Plugshare links, someone may have taken a pic of the labels and posted them on Plugshare.

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes I heard v150 is the way to go, and I plan to do the standard 50kW rate to keep things on the safe side.

luckily the EA station I plan on going to (Kodak, TN) is en route to my destination (Knoxville>Pigeon Forge) so if it doesn’t work we’ll just keep on driving. I’m taking both of my MYPs so it would be nice to be able to top up and not have to do 110V charging at our cabin or have to wait around at 6kW stations.

cheers!
Not all EA station charger brands work.
So far I have tried SIGNET and ABB that are available in my area, SIGNET worked ABB did not.

I would suggest paying using the EA App linked to Apple wallet rather than the credit card reader as a recent session
at a EA station a Bolt EV owner left a bit upset that his charge card did not work on both stations that he tried and he did not
have the Android App running yet.
So I would suggest set up your account with EA and try it out before you leave if you haven't done so already.
If all else fails call them from the station, they were quite quite responsive when I called 3 wks ago with a problem (of my own making.)
They gave me a free charging session as a goodwill gesture anyway.

Not all EA station charger brands work.
So far I have tried SIGNET and ABB that are available in my area, SIGNET worked ABB did not.

I would suggest paying using the EA App linked to Apple wallet rather than the credit card reader as a recent session
at a EA station a Bolt EV owner left a bit upset that his charge card did not work on both stations that he tried and he did not
So I would suggest set up your account with EA and try it out before you leave if you haven't done so already.
If all else fails call them from the station, they were quite quite responsive when I called 3 wks ago with a problem (of my own making.)
Thank you for the insight! Yes I downloaded the EA app last weekend and created an account so rhay

I already have ChargePoint and PlugShare from when I had my i3, so those were already on. Unfortunately I don’t have a way of knowing the brand since it’s in TN, but I’ll definitely try out the adapters locally prior to leaving.

this adapter is mostly just a last last resort and I’m hoping I actually don’t have to use it at all. Honestly I haven’t even received it yet and I’m already thinking of returning it. The CCS1 adapter from Tesla seems like it’s right around the corner and I’m worried that this adapter might strand us out there if it damages out on board charger or connector.

Yes. It blows my mind when I see people complain about or having problems using their credit cards at EA stations. I sometimes see it in Plugshare check-ins.

Their CC readers are known problematic. Search Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions for credit card. It's usually better to use their app instead. It's stupid and inexcusable, but that's the way it is.

Guessing they all have different apps, too. Makes it even more confusing and challenging for EV owners.
No. There's only a single app for Electrify America.

Their CC readers are known problematic. Search Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions for credit card. It's usually better to use their app instead. It's stupid and inexcusable, but that's the way it is.

When I first saw the CC readers on these chargers I thought it was a good thing, that I wouldn’t have to keep my collection of cards for all these different companies.

That was back when I was driving a Soul EV.

The problem with these card readers is they’re not maintained. There’s sand/dirt/grime stuck inside (all of) them due to being outside and the infrequency of service on these machines by the vendors, who probably make very little from their little-use.

So yeah, the app is the best way so far.

Reactions: jsight and cwerdna
I wonder if the card readers support tap to pay. One would assume that the wireless is more reliable than mag stripe reader or even contact chip reader.

The EA app also supports Apple Wallet now too. There is a separate RFID reader from the credit card device on the stations that presumably supports this. I haven't tried it yet. That seems faster than opening the app and activating in there.

Reactions: Exelion
Yes,

Some have the tap feature (which is helpful) but not all, and especially not the older, neglected ones.

With all these difficulties for charging, and the sparse locations between cities, I feel bad for people with non-Tesla EV’s pulling up to these chargers and going through all the hassle.

Reactions: El joe
I wonder if the card readers support tap to pay. One would assume that the wireless is more reliable than mag stripe reader or even contact chip reader.

The EA app also supports Apple Wallet now too. There is a separate RFID reader from the credit card device on the stations that presumably supports this. I haven't tried it yet. That seems faster than opening the app and activating in there.
EA tap reader works with Apple wallet. Once you have set up EA account in your wallet you can tap the station to start session. When I had my Bolt that i DC fast charged on average once a day I usually activated the stations in the app with the swipe function and had the highest success rate with that. Once EA switched to $ per kWh pricing in California I almost always used EA instead of EVgo as their per minute pricing was too expensive above 55% SoC. I used EA extensively when I road tripped my bolt from San Diego to San Francisco, Vegas and Utah. I was planning a trip to Colorado and maybe farther but then I finally traded in to get a Model Y. On average my experience with EA is well above average compared to what gets headlines. The other network/brand that I would prefer would be the 62.5kW chargepoint stations depending on what price the property owner had set. Chargepoint "Express 250" (62.5kW) stations are probably the most reliable CCS i have used.

Yes,

Some have the tap feature (which is helpful) but not all, and especially not the older, neglected ones.

With all these difficulties for charging, and the sparse locations between cities, I feel bad for people with non-Tesla EV’s pulling up to these chargers and going through all the hassle.
That's what brought me to Tesla. Had a Bolt and it was such a pain going to CCS chargers and only having like a 40% success rate, especially when on a trip of anything longer than 150 miles or so.

As nice as EA’s chargers are (and I think they’re the furthest ahead of the non-Tesla’s) is this part of their plan:

I have to put in a set amount of auto-reload. Is there a way past this or do people just keep over $10.00 in their account?

Attachments

• 7EE46F4C-2398-4862-B0FC-E70A007C8B1B.jpeg
    7EE46F4C-2398-4862-B0FC-E70A007C8B1B.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 61
As nice as EA’s chargers are (and I think they’re the furthest ahead of the non-Tesla’s) is this part of their plan:

I have to put in a set amount of auto-reload. Is there a way past this or do people just keep over $10.00 in their account?
Basically, yeah. It auto-reloads, like a Starbucks gift card. It's not uncommon for these third-party chargers. I still have money in Blink, EVGo, ChargePoint and EA accounts that I used when I had my Bolt, but haven't used since getting my Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Exelion

Yes, though it auto-reloads when you get to $5, so it should be somewhere between $5 and $10. Also, you can remove the auto-renew and use the buffered $5 to drain the account. I've done this backhandedly because their backend system (Greenlots) couldn't charge my card one time.

Reactions: theothertom
Not sure if this is posted further up in the thread, but for anyone following this adapter and hoping to take the plunge, it’s now reduced to $460.

I think that’s comparable to what Tesla charges for the Chademo adapter and is much more reasonable, especially given what I’ve read above about later firmware versions improving compatibility.

Reactions: sTv0
The price of $460.00 is very reasonable, considering Tesla’s offering is about the same.

I have and carry both, but if I had to choose between the two, it would be the Setec CCS. Many months ago, when the firmware was much lower and fewer chargers were successfull, it would’ve been the Tesla CHAdeMO.

The day will come when CHAdeMO will be phased out, and probably just disappear, leaving two standards. With all the automakers going CCS (including Nissan!) its an easy prediction.