Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The day will come when CHAdeMO will be phased out, and probably just disappear, leaving two standards. With all the automakers going CCS (including Nissan!) its an easy prediction.
Agreed. As far as I understand, the Leaf is the only US Chademo car left on sale, and it's selling about 10k/year. I don't know sales numbers, but I'd honestly buy it that Tesla Chademo adapter sales puts more new Chademo users on the road than Nissan Leaf does right now. The improvement of the Setec adapter and the a release in the US of the Tesla CCS1 adapter hopefully not long after its release in Korea would be the main things to push for essentially a continent-wide common fast charge standard which would put the hardware side of charging network anxiety (if not the network size and app limited/availablity/reliability) aspects behind us as they've been able to in Europe, which would be a major benefit if we hope to see the networks built out by local business, national service station chains, and more--if one port serves all cars, they don't have to worry about picking the wrong part of the market to service, and it'd make the business case easier to close to grow the overall number of charging sites faster for everyone.

Tesla Chademo adapter sales puts more new Chademo users on the road than Nissan Leaf does right now.
Interesting perspective. I’ve been looking to buy a Chademo adapter for a while just in case I take a road trip that just happens to find me faced with a busy Supercharger. And that’s never happened to me before. But if I got one, I’d try to use it often due to the price, validating your perspective.

Agreed. As far as I understand, the Leaf is the only US Chademo car left on sale, and it's selling about 10k/year. I don't know sales numbers, but I'd honestly buy it that Tesla Chademo adapter sales puts more new Chademo users on the road than Nissan Leaf does right now.
Outlander PHEV is sold in the US and has CHAdeMO.

Here are some US sales figures for Nissan, including Leaf:

Mitsubishi Motors:

FWIW, EVgo and General Motors Unveil First Fast Charging Stations from Landmark EV Charging Infrastructure Collaboration says "Further, as evidence of GM and EVgo's commitment to accelerating transportation electrification for all drivers, each of the sites has both CCS and CHAdeMO connectors, making it easy to go electric regardless of vehicle model."

I wonder if they'll continue to have the even or pretty even ratio of CHAdeMO vs. CCS or if they'll put in a lopsided ratio or pull an EA (1 CHAdeMO vs. many CCS, the worst I'd heard of being 1 CHAdeMO vs. 19 CCS).

Interesting perspective. I’ve been looking to buy a Chademo adapter for a while just in case I take a road trip that just happens to find me faced with a busy Supercharger. And that’s never happened to me before. But if I got one, I’d try to use it often due to the price, validating your perspective.
Like I said, I don't have sales numbers for the Tesla adapter to compare to that, but with about 500k new Teslas, if about 2% of new owners buy a Chademo adapter, it'd outnumber new Leafs. That doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: El joe
I wonder if they'll continue to have the even or pretty even ratio of CHAdeMO vs. CCS or if they'll put in a lopsided ratio or pull an EA (1 CHAdeMO vs. many CCS, the worst I'd heard of being 1 CHAdeMO vs. 19 CCS).
With most of these installations, including the ones that EA uses, it makes more sense to do both on each one. The stations can do either one with the same hardware and have two cables. Might as well just hang a CHAdeMO cable there.

EA basically went out of their way to specifically exclude CHAdeMO.

With most of these installations, including the ones that EA uses, it makes more sense to do both on each one. The stations can do either one with the same hardware and have two cables. Might as well just hang a CHAdeMO cable there.

Indeed. This is what I'd been railing about before Nissan decided to go with CCS for Europe and the US in the upcoming Ariya.

EA was doing the bare minimum to "support" CHAdeMO and the way "supported" it wasn't exactly reassuring any CHAdeMO users. There are folks in the Pacific NW who've reported multiple times of having to wait in line while the lone CHAdeMO plug is in use while most/all the CCS plugs are not in use. That's besides the CHAdeMO plug or its charger being down.

If VW-owned EA actually cared about being helpful to all EV drivers instead of being helpful to VW AG's business interests, there'd be a more even ratio (maybe not 1:1) of CCS and CHAdeMO plugs and they would've pushed for higher speed CHAdeMO charging instead of just crippled 50 kW.

BTW, Seattle Nissan LEAF Owners : I bet a day doesn't go by that Mr is how I learned of PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You. I can confirm via the EA app that there are 10 chargers (2 plugs each) and only 1 plug is CHAdeMo. Right now charger #1 with CCS and CHAdeMO is in use. A couple are marked unavailable (down, I think) and the rest aren't in use.

Last edited:
Reactions: kayak1
Which is not a smart decision, because:

Each of their charging cabinets have two sides, but can only support only ONE vehicle at a time. There’s no reason to have two of the SAME connector on each, when you should be maximizing your profit by varying the connectors to meet customer demand. Its not like one connector costs a whole lot more than the other. Complete waste of utility. At least EVGo (and just about everyone else) did it right-different connectors on each side. Some even have three!

-and that means CCS/CHAdeMO or CCS/Tesla or Tesla/CHAdeMO would be the best way to do it on interstate routes.

-especially on the sites that are between cities. Leaf owners are (for the most part) short range vehicles so it’d make sense to have one CHAdeMO/CCS, and the rest Tesla/CCS.

Which is not a smart decision, because:

Each of their charging cabinets have two sides, but can only support only ONE vehicle at a time. There’s no reason to have two of the SAME connector on each, when you should be maximizing your profit by varying the connectors to meet customer demand. Its not like one connector costs a whole lot more than the other. Complete waste of utility. At least EVGo (and just about everyone else) did it right-different connectors on each side. Some even have three!

-and that means CCS/CHAdeMO or CCS/Tesla or Tesla/CHAdeMO would be the best way to do it on interstate routes.

-especially on the sites that are between cities. Leaf owners are (for the most part) short range vehicles so it’d make sense to have one CHAdeMO/CCS, and the rest Tesla/CCS.
Exactly! Although admittedly there are a few cases where the two cords help them to reach due to differences in port placement on different cars. But a lot of sides have the cords side by side, so this isn't really a reason either.

They clearly just wanted to make REALLY sure that CHAdeMO's coffin had enough nails.

Each of their charging cabinets have two sides, but can only support only ONE vehicle at a time. There’s no reason to have two of the SAME connector on each,
It would make much more sense to me if two cars could *still* both plug in even if only one charges at a time. Let the 2nd one verify & 'pay' in advance. Then when the 1st one is done the 2nd one automatically starts. This seems like a software issue and could maximize throughput. Consider that the 2nd one could plug in and pay then go off to have lunch/snack/break and get notified on their phone app when it starts (and progress).

Ordered and received the adapter, and have been testing it out in San Francisco. I updated to v150 before heading out - most of the Electrify America stations use the BTC stations unfortunately, so I’ll likely have to downgrade it back to v141.

Otherwise both the free CCS charger at stonestown galleria and the EVgo one at Westlake shopping center worked flawlessly at 40kW.

Just received a Setec adapter. Ordered 4/26 and arrived 4/30 (Denver). Shipped from Brea, Ca. UPS Ground.
A tracking number would have been nice. There were no follow up messages post order.

Doing Denver to Santa Fe next month and would like a backup charging source.
Have you taken your trip to SF yet? I am going ABQ to DEN any news on non superchargers would be helpful as I am driving a rebuilt M3

See attached. V140 is the same as v141. Stay charged !
Thanks! Tried the Electrify America charger near the Safeway in the Inner Sunset area and CCS finally worked with V141. The free Volta CCS charger at Stonestown Galleria continued to work - I think the Volta model is the same as the EVgo ones. V141 has the best compatibility so far. (Cc: @Skidplate, I think you asked me why I chose to downgrade - I got a notification but the post was deleted or modified, this is the reason - it actually has better compatibility for chargers in my area)

This increases my charging options a fair amount - all the Tesla Superchargers in SF are inside paid parking lots, and I live in an apartment so I can’t charge at home.

• Informative
Reactions: Exelion
I glanced at that Volta DC cabinet and the display and yep, that’s the same cabinet we have down here for EVGo! The maker looks to be ABB (seen in the top left of the screen) so keep that in memory. Here’s two pics (obtained from plugshare)

Attachments

• 53D6AA1E-C6B3-4A3B-8289-8BEFC5BCC34C.jpeg
    53D6AA1E-C6B3-4A3B-8289-8BEFC5BCC34C.jpeg
    855.3 KB · Views: 88
  • CFF961C4-CED8-439A-9C6A-05AEEA64C974.jpeg
    CFF961C4-CED8-439A-9C6A-05AEEA64C974.jpeg
    917.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 974C9131-D74D-4A3B-8272-3D077C0E4C64.jpeg
    974C9131-D74D-4A3B-8272-3D077C0E4C64.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 65
  • CED2E2F6-3C5F-4E68-BCBD-3517D578ED6D.jpeg
    CED2E2F6-3C5F-4E68-BCBD-3517D578ED6D.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Informative
Reactions: masotime
That would be interesting to know if the Tesla CHAdeMO and Setec CCS adapters allow for 50kW charging for rebuilt (salvaged) Teslas, if Tesla locked them out at the Supercharger or the car itself.

According to several salvage vehicle owners, CHAdeMO works on salvaged cars that have had Supercharging disabled.