Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally received mine today.

however I haven’t even opened the box as I’m suddenly getting cold feet.

Im taking a trip to TN at the end of this month with both of my MYPand planned to use it (with the lowest charge setting- 50kW) at the Kodak Electrify America station between Knoxville and Piegon Forge.

I’m extremely worried something will go wrong and one or both of my Model Ys will be stranded.

can anyone talk me out of requesting a return/refund? Especially with the possibility (on Elon time) to get an official CCS1 adapter in the future?

can anyone talk me out of requesting a return/refund? Especially with the possibility (on Elon time) to get an official CCS1 adapter in the future?
I can certainly try. I would never get one of these Setec adapters. I would go to great lengths and go out of my way to stick with Superchargers, and as a secondary thing, I do have a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. For that particular trip, it's only 49 miles from the Tesla Supercharger on the West side of Knoxville to Pigeon Forge, TN, so I don't see a need to use anything else yet in what you have presented about this trip.

I can certainly try. I would never get one of these Setec adapters. I would go to great lengths and go out of my way to stick with Superchargers, and as a secondary thing, I do have a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. For that particular trip, it's only 49 miles from the Tesla Supercharger on the West side of Knoxville to Pigeon Forge, TN, so I don't see a need to use anything else yet in what you have presented about this trip.
Haha well you’ve certainly talked me INTO requesting a refund!

the issue I saw is that last time, we made it back to Knoxville after about 3 days with about 15 miles left, and we barely went anywhere. This time we’d actually like to go to different places while out in Pigeon forge, and given our last charging experience and Tanger (time to 90%; 12 hours) I’d like to make sure we can do so.

I see a few other options like the charging stations at REÍ and the public one on Teaster lane, but not sure.
Also planning to see if we can use the outside 110V at our cabin with extension cords we have. That would be good for some charge overnight too.

The only major issue reported so far in this thread is someone using modified firmware. The worst case scenario is that the charger doesn't work as expected - your Model Y won't be damaged in any way.

I certainly wouldn't rely on it being a critical factor in any road trips, but I personally use it in conjunction with the CHADeMO adapter I also have which is quite reliable. Many non-Tesla stations in my area only have one CHADeMO port, so the CCS adapter performs a complementary function instead for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: SQLDevDBA and IdaX
The only major issue reported so far in this thread is someone using modified firmware. The worst case scenario is that the charger doesn't work as expected - your Model Y won't be damaged in any way.

I certainly wouldn't rely on it being a critical factor in any road trips, but I personally use it in conjunction with the CHADeMO adapter I also have which is quite reliable. Many non-Tesla stations in my area only have one CHADeMO port, so the CCS adapter performs a complementary function instead for me.
Yes that makes sense. I don’t think it’s fully critically dependent, but it would be a huge convenience to be able to use it. Would give us a lot more free time.
I’ll talk it over and see. Thanks for your insight!

can anyone talk me out of requesting a return/refund?
I can certainly try.
Haha well you’ve certainly talked me INTO requesting a refund!
Oh, whoops, yeah. My brain reversed that one, and I was thinking talk you out of getting/using one, but I forgot this was about returning it.
I see a few other options like the charging stations at REÍ and the public one on Teaster lane, but not sure.
Also planning to see if we can use the outside 110V at our cabin with extension cords we have. That would be good for some charge overnight too.
You mentioned 3 days there without much driving. There should be something there that you can use. I just looked on Plugshare, and I see over a dozen charging places there in Pigeon Forge. A couple of them are at restaurants, like a pizza place and a steak house, so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange for getting in a few hours of charging while you're there.

Oh, whoops, yeah. My brain reversed that one, and I was thinking talk you out of getting/using one, but I forgot this was about returning it.

You mentioned 3 days there without much driving. There should be something there that you can use. I just looked on Plugshare, and I see over a dozen charging places there in Pigeon Forge. A couple of them are at restaurants, like a pizza place and a steak house, so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange for getting in a few hours of charging while you're there.
That was my thought, it only takes ~20% to get back to the Knoxville charger, so typically 2-2.5 hours of charging at an L2. It'd be much nicer to have a supercharger there, though, to cut that to <10 minutes. :)

That was my thought, it only takes ~20% to get back to the Knoxville charger, so typically 2-2.5 hours of charging at an L2. It'd be much nicer to have a supercharger there, though, to cut that to <10 minutes. :)
Right! And I have a few chargers in mind (I mentioned the REÍ Tesla destination charger And the Teaster Ln charger), but those both are 6-10 kW. I’m thinking something like going out at night to charge. Luckily Pigeon Forge is coming Q3 so future trips will be much better. Thanks!

Haha no worries. Yes there seems to be plenty to use, but as you said restaurants, hotels, etc. They’re all ”patron only” on ChargePoint and Shareplug so I don’t want to be that guy.
Problem is a couple of hours turns into double that with two vehicles. Especially if they are side-by-side and split the kW when two are plugged in. Not even taking into account possible ICEing.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to try to just wing it. We’ll see how it goes.

Thanks!!

Haha no worries. Yes there seems to be plenty to use, but as you said restaurants, hotels, etc. They’re all ”patron only” on ChargePoint and Shareplug so I don’t want to be that guy.
Problem is a couple of hours turns into double that with two vehicles. Especially if they are side-by-side and split the kW when two are plugged in. Not even taking into account possible ICEing.
Well yeah, I was thinking of just planning a night out to eat at one of those places to get to use their charger for an hour or two, but I did forget about the two vehicles part of it. Hard to know if they would have two available.

Well yeah, I was thinking of just planning a night out to eat at one of those places to get to use their charger for an hour or two, but I did forget about the two vehicles part of it. Hard to know if they would have two available.
Agreed! I’m hoping we are going to be okay. Even charging overnight (early AM hours) would be okay with us I think, as my brother and I have a lot of catching up to do :)

cheers!

Keep in mind that damage caused by a Setac adapter is not covered under warranty.
Given the prohibition of adapters by the CCS1 spec and the hatred of Tesla by most (all but Tesla) on the CCS committee, I would not count on Tesla making an official adapter any time soon.

Keep in mind that damage caused by a Setac adapter is not covered under warranty.
Given the prohibition of adapters by the CCS1 spec and the hatred of Tesla by most (all but Tesla) on the CCS committee, I would not count on Tesla making an official adapter any time soon.
This last part confuses me, as they are making one for the Korean market. Why would the combo 1 adapters be allowed there but not here?

I appreciate your input, and I agree that they could definitely choose to state it isn’t covered. Although the consensus seems to be that this adapter mimics Tesla’s own Chademo adapter, Tesla can tell what you had to eat based on the sounds your farts make so I assume they could do so with minimal digging. I also say that as a Data Professional and we use it to dig through all sorts of mysteries.

I think on the CCS front the only delays will be caused by Elon time though, since they’re already doing CCS1 for the Korea Market.
Regardless I think given the arguments made here, I should not keep this adapter if my only purpose for it is this one trip. It just doesn’t seem logical at this time. I have plenty of super chargers in my area, and there are new ones popping up daily. If/when an official adapter is released, I’ll scoop that up and stay on the safe side.

thanks everyone!

Likewise, there’s quite a bit of news surrounding CCS1 in Korea.
I'll believe it when I hear credible reports of its existence. So far nothing - unless someone has credible sources to share.
I very much want such a thing but I've been following EVs for way too long to jump on rumors when there are so many reasons not to believe this one.

I'll believe it when I hear credible reports of its existence. So far nothing - unless someone has credible sources to share.
I very much want such a thing but I've been following EVs for way too long to jump on rumors when there are so many reasons not to believe this one.
There is this:

Which links to this: 안전한 제품, 행복한 국민 제품안전정보센터입니다.

But this all belongs in a different thread: Tesla Announces CCS1 Adapter Coming to S. Korea Early 2021

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
If you want to be able to DC charge at non-Tesla places and want to use a Tesla product, get the CHAdeMO adapter. Just about every place I've been to has CHADeMO AND CCS, although EA is guilty of having 8 times more of one than the other. That way, once the Tesla CCS adapter comes out, you can get the Tesla product and you have all the bases covered.

If you stick to the firmware releases of Setec (and not their experimental v149) you shouldn't have any issues, (like frying the charging hardware). The worst that's happened to me was the charger threw an error.

Reactions: jsight