Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want to be able to DC charge at non-Tesla places and want to use a Tesla product, get the CHAdeMO adapter. Just about every place I've been to has CHADeMO AND CCS, although EA is guilty of having 8 times more of one than the other. That way, once the Tesla CCS adapter comes out, you can get the Tesla product and you have all the bases covered.

If you stick to the firmware releases of Setec (and not their experimental v149) you shouldn't have any issues, (like frying the charging hardware). The worst that's happened to me was the charger threw an error.
I don’t disagree. I have been waiting for the Chademo adapter to come back in stock for a while now but it remains out of stock.

I contacted Setec and they state I have to pay for shipping back to China (not California where it shipped to me from) , so depending on the cost of that I may end up keeping it.

I don’t disagree. I have been waiting for the Chademo adapter to come back in stock for a while now but it remains out of stock.

I contacted Setec and they state I have to pay for shipping back to China (not California where it shipped to me from) , so depending on the cost of that I may end up keeping it.
It's a good product, and works almost everywhere.

Enjoy the nonexistent lines, because when the Tesla CCS version comes out (and depending on how much Tesla charges for it) there may be a lot of other Teslas at the DC chargers.

Are you able to share a pic of what the screen on the station looks like in complimentary mode? Just swung by 4 EA stations in my area to no avail...
I guess it ended. Here are some examples. They may have been from different chargers/sessions but this is exactly what it looks like each time. These were taken April 2nd or 3rd.

I got the hint last night from PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You via its activity feed. A guy (not me) wrote on May 11: "Works great, first try! Complimentary session?! Y'all are too kind!"

Attachments

• WRWU8670.jpeg
    WRWU8670.jpeg
    447.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1834.jpeg
    IMG_1834.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1839.jpeg
    IMG_1839.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Limited
Given the prohibition of adapters by the CCS1 spec
That is an old urban legend that still seems to persist for some reason. I had seen a thread discussion here where someone who has full access has read through the full specification documents from CharIN for the CCS systems, and there is no prohibition of adapters.

UPDATE: for anyone in my boat: returning the package to China (they don’t allow returns to Brea, CA,USA where it was sent to me from) in time for my refund period:

$290 via UPS

$87 via USPS global

asked Setec to work something out with me. We’ll see how it goes.
Fwiw, I've used the adapter 23 times since purchase and have had zero issues. It even saved me a headache on our road trip back from Utah last weekend, when I was able to skip a supercharger with a line and just go to the nearby EA station.

You do you and all that, but I don't have any concerns about using this adapter. Just avoid the experimental firmware that tries to mimic supercharging (instead of chademo), because it pretty obviously doesn't work.

Note: I track everything in TeslaMate, and looked up how many times I've used it. I'm not (quite) obsessive enough to have known it was used 23 times off the top of my head.

That is an old urban legend that still seems to persist for some reason. I had seen a thread discussion here where someone who has full access has read through the full specification documents from CharIN for the CCS systems, and there is no prohibition of adapters.
That makes sense. EVGo has pretty strict rules about adapters and AFAIK does not have a rule against a factory supplied adapter for their CCS plug.

Technically this setec one is probably against their rules, though I'm not sure how they'd ever enforce that.

Fwiw, I've used the adapter 23 times since purchase and have had zero issues. It even saved me a headache on our road trip back from Utah last weekend, when I was able to skip a supercharger with a line and just go to the nearby EA station.

You do you and all that, but I don't have any concerns about using this adapter. Just avoid the experimental firmware that tries to mimic supercharging (instead of chademo), because it pretty obviously doesn't work.

Note: I track everything in TeslaMate, and looked up how many times I've used it. I'm not (quite) obsessive enough to have known it was used 23 times off the top of my head.
thanks very much for your insight! That was my plan as well (<=50kW, stable firmware only) but even so it seems like a risk (especially when away from home).

Setec told me to hold onto it for a bit, seems like they’re looking To help me out.

I have one of these adapters but can't get the firmware update software to find it. I'm not great on windows (long time UNIX now Mac user) and the software is looking for serial Ports (COM1) and obviously this has a USB port. The laptop see the device when connected to the laptop but the software does not see any type of communication ports. I looked to see if there was a way other than "net use" to map ports in windows and I cannot seem to figure it out.

Anyone else have any issue plugging in micro USB to USB-A to make this work?

ETA: I see you need to install a specific USB 340 driver so let me see if that helps.

ETA: Well that was it. Installed the USB driver opened and flashed it.

Does anyone know if install that driver in a virtual machine if it will work? I had to borrow a laptop from work but I do occasionally run windows on my MBP so I have a good image.

Last edited:
Ordered on May 8 to have as a backup, but still waiting for it to arrive. Glad I kept reading the thread as I’m a Mac user so guess I’ll have to update the FW using a virtual machine. And it seems like FW 141 is the one I want, so appreciate all the posts above to help the newbies like me!

Reactions: theothertom
A couple of recent experiences:
10/05/2021. at the Chipley FL EA dispenser my charging session was terminated by a Signet technician who was sent from Korea to 'check' the dispensers. The Signet tech took a pic of the SETEC adapter.

16/05/2021 at the Target LaVista GA EA dispenser after the coms was setup ,started by saying that the charge card reader was not working , use the contactless reader, EA 'card' loaded into Apple wallet worked fine.

It would appear as if the Signet techs are servicing the Signet chargers, driving around in a large Lexus SUV.
They should have been driving a ID-4 and attempting to charge as a final test.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Big Earl
Yep, that's a shortcoming of EA IMO. They ought to make EA execs take long road trips in id.4's. Then maybe the frustration with EA charging will abate. And yes, the card readers at EA are problematic. Best to use the app or some other method.

Yep, that's a shortcoming of EA IMO. They ought to make EA execs take long road trips in id.4's. Then maybe the frustration with EA charging will abate. And yes, the card readers at EA are problematic. Best to use the app or some other method.

In the computer biz we called it "eating your own dog food".

I have one of these adapters but can't get the firmware update software to find it. I'm not great on windows (long time UNIX now Mac user) and the software is looking for serial Ports (COM1) and obviously this has a USB port. The laptop see the device when connected to the laptop but the software does not see any type of communication ports. I looked to see if there was a way other than "net use" to map ports in windows and I cannot seem to figure it out.

Anyone else have any issue plugging in micro USB to USB-A to make this work?

ETA: I see you need to install a specific USB 340 driver so let me see if that helps.

ETA: Well that was it. Installed the USB driver opened and flashed it.

Does anyone know if install that driver in a virtual machine if it will work? I had to borrow a laptop from work but I do occasionally run windows on my MBP so I have a good image.
I’ve used with a Win 7 VM on my Mac

A couple of recent experiences:
10/05/2021. at the Chipley FL EA dispenser my charging session was terminated by a Signet technician who was sent from Korea to 'check' the dispensers. The Signet tech took a pic of the SETEC adapter.

16/05/2021 at the Target LaVista GA EA dispenser after the coms was setup ,started by saying that the charge card reader was not working , use the contactless reader, EA 'card' loaded into Apple wallet worked fine.

It would appear as if the Signet techs are servicing the Signet chargers, driving around in a large Lexus SUV.
So was the Signet rep flipping out about the adapter or only curios? I’ve seen Tesla owners post to Twitter using the SETEC adapter on an EA station and tagging EA on the post; they received a like and retweet from EA so I guess they don’t care.???