Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V 150 is the latest version they have. I sent them some data capture logs last night on some chargers I use regularly. Hopefully it will work before my road trip I’m taking in two weeks. This device is literally a “Tesla Killer” if you use the experimental firmware.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Fwiw, I've used the adapter 23 times since purchase and have had zero issues. It even saved me a headache on our road trip back from Utah last weekend, when I was able to skip a supercharger with a line and just go to the nearby EA station.

You do you and all that, but I don't have any concerns about using this adapter. Just avoid the experimental firmware that tries to mimic supercharging (instead of chademo), because it pretty obviously doesn't work.

Note: I track everything in TeslaMate, and looked up how many times I've used it. I'm not (quite) obsessive enough to have known it was used 23 times off the top of my head.
Is your EA location has a charge speed of 150 kW? Or is it 50 kW only?

Has the adapter been reliable? Most videos I have seen it seems like it works on the 50kw ccs chargers but anything over that it fails?
- Reliability is a relative term.... For the CCS stations that it works with, it works. I have not heard of anyone having a failure. However, as you can see in this thread, and on numerous YouTube videos, compatibility with different stations varies. Setec has been very proactive in releasing updated firmware

- An operational limitation for M3 and MY vehicles is that the software on those vehicles (not the Setec firmware) limits charging to 50kw. This is because the adapter emulates a CHAdEMO adapter. On MS and MX (at least pre-Raven vehicles), it will work to it's maximum rating 200A (about 77 kw). I have seen this as a good number with my '15 S.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve and IdaX
- Reliability is a relative term.... For the CCS stations that it works with, it works. I have not heard of anyone having a failure. However, as you can see in this thread, and on numerous YouTube videos, compatibility with different stations varies. Setec has been very proactive in releasing updated firmware

- An operational limitation for M3 and MY vehicles is that the software on those vehicles (not the Setec firmware) limits charging to 50kw. This is because the adapter emulates a CHAdEMO adapter. On MS and MX (at least pre-Raven vehicles), it will work to it's maximum rating 200A (about 77 kw). I have seen this as a good number with my '15 S.
So is it more of a problem with CCS being more open and each company that puts out a charger is doing something different on the initial handshake? I guess I will wait a little longer and also hope they drop the price some more. Maybe wishful thinking since the Chademo adapter from Tesla is around the same price.

guess I will wait a little longer and also hope they drop the price some more. Maybe wishful thinking since the Chademo adapter from Tesla is around the same price.
The dilemma, for me, is that there are lots more CCS plugs than ChaDeMo. And the Tesla ChaDeMo adapter is a big clunky thing. The Setec adapter is still large but not as bad as the Tesla ChaDeMo adapter. Maybe the Tesla CCS adapter, if it is ever released, will be more compact?
CrazyPostman on YouTube has done the most testing that I've seen. The Setec adapter seems to work on Electrify America but not so much on Francis Energy stations in Oklahoma.

After multiple failures, the latest firmware update 1.51 has made the SETEC CCS-1 to Tesla adapter function at upto 50 kW DCFC with our 2012 Signature Edition Tesla P85 Model S at an Electrify America CCS charger. So far, this is the only one I've been able to get it will work with. EVgo and Charge Point are not yet working for us with this adapter.

It is not something I would want to rely on. It is fussy to get working and charges much slower than the 120 kW we can pull from a Tesla Supercharger, but as a faster alternative to Level 2 charging when a Supercharger is not nearby, like the CHAdeMO adapter, it is great to have when traveling and may get better with future firmware updates. We paid $460 which is about the same as our CHAdeMO adapter.

Attachments

• 20210604_173323.jpg
    20210604_173323.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 59
After multiple failures, the latest firmware update 1.51 has made the SETEC CCS-1 to Tesla adapter function at upto 50 kW DCFC with our 2012 Signature Edition Tesla P85 Model S at an Electrify America CCS charger. So far, this is the only one I've been able to get it will work with. EVgo and Charge Point are not yet working for us with this adapter.
Keep in mind that Electrify America has 4 different vendors for their DC FCs: BTC Power, Signet, ABB and Efacec. I haven't watched your video other than a few seconds here and there but it looks like you used Signet chargers like the ones at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You. (In comparison, BTC Power ones EA uses look like PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You.)

EVgo also has several vendors like ABB and BTC Power. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You has ABB. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You also has ABB not counting the Nissan/Sumitomo CHAdeMO charger. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You is BTC Power. EVgo is finally installing High Power Chargers has Delta and Signet.

ChargePoint has numerous vendors. I've mentioned them at Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter along with the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason Bloomberg
So is it more of a problem with CCS being more open and each company that puts out a charger is doing something different on the initial handshake? I guess I will wait a little longer and also hope they drop the price some more. Maybe wishful thinking since the Chademo adapter from Tesla is around the same price.
I think if you look online, while the CHAdeMO is generally more reliable, it isn’t perfect either. Also, it has required firmware updates over its history, which can only be done at the service center