Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the adapter early in the presale. I used it once without success at a Charge point location in Colfax, CA. I've tried to do the firmware update but the USB serial port doesn't show up on my Mac. Anyone else have trouble getting the firmware update done on a Mac?
The firmware update is a Windows .exe file, so it won't run natively under macOS. Some people have reported that it works running in a virtual machine (IIRC, all the reports I've seen have used VMware). I tried using VirtualBox under Linux for this, but I couldn't get it to recognize the USB ports, so I gave up and used a native Windows 10 installation. If you're trying to use a virtualization system, please say what it is and how you're configuring it. Perhaps somebody experienced with such things could help; or you might try asking on a forum dedicated to that virtualization tool.

FWIW, it should be fairly easy for Setec to write tools to do this update in a more cross-platform way. The adapter shows up like a simple USB-to-serial device, so chances are the update requires sending some simple commands (probably text-mode) followed by the upload of the actual firmware, similar to an old-style file transfer with Kermit or the like. If I'm right, then this could easily be done with Python or some other cross-platform language or library. I'm guessing they did it as a Windows binary because that was what their engineers were most familiar with. That said, I haven't tried poking at this very deeply, so I might be missing something; and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for something else. It wouldn't hurt to send an e-mail to Setec asking for this feature.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
A YouTube blogger with deep hooks in the Tesla community told me the other week that a friend of his in N. America was part of a group testing a Tesla produced CCS1 to Tesla adapter. He called the adapter a 'prototype'; I think I would call it beta. The testing had been ongoing for about two weeks.

I don't think there is anyway to translate this information into when such an adapter may be for sale, only that Tesla is deep into R&D. I was also told that the adapter allowed up to 150 kW. Sorry -- no further details in that regard. I really should have asked what Tesla model the tester was using !

I had already decided to wait for a Tesla produced adapter rather than buy the SETEC so personally this information does not change anything for me but it might for others so I'm passing it along despite my general antipathy towards rumors.

A YouTube blogger with deep hooks in the Tesla community told me the other week that a friend of his in N. America was part of a group testing a Tesla produced CCS1 to Tesla adapter. He called the adapter a 'prototype'; I think I would call it beta. The testing had been ongoing for about two weeks.

I don't think there is anyway to translate this information into when such an adapter may be for sale, only that Tesla is deep into R&D. I was also told that the adapter allowed up to 150 kW. Sorry -- no further details in that regard. I really should have asked what Tesla model the tester was using !

I had already decided to wait for a Tesla produced adapter rather than buy the SETEC so personally this information does not change anything for me but it might for others so I'm passing it along despite my general antipathy towards rumors.

Thanks for the report - this would make perfect sense, given that Tesla has already announced such an adapter for the Korean market (originally announced as available in Korea in 1st half of 2021, now 2nd half of 2021, lol)...

I bought the adapter early in the presale. I used it once without success at a Charge point location in Colfax, CA. I've tried to do the firmware update but the USB serial port doesn't show up on my Mac. Anyone else have trouble getting the firmware update done on a Mac?
I just received the CCS adaptor which I bought directly from Lectron. I am a Mac-only household and I have confirmed with Lectron support that the firmware can only be updated via Windows. Which is very annoying. Now I have to find someone with a Windows PC.

Today I tried using the adaptor for the first time at a BC Hydro CCS station in North Vancouver, BC. I could not charge. The charging station displayed the message “Session cancelled by the vehicle”. I called the BC Hydro EV charging helpline and they confirmed that the charging station was working normally. It’s clear to me the problem is the adaptor.
it should be fairly easy for Setec to write tools to do this update in a more cross-platform way.
It should indeed. I have complained to Lectron and they say they are “working on it”.

Great to hear that news. But a tesla adapter is only going to work with 2021+ Teslas with CCS PLC communications hardware. Setec will still be the answer for those with older cars.

Reactions: btlalum
Great to hear that news. But a tesla adapter is only going to work with 2021+ Teslas with CCS PLC communications hardware.

That would not surprise me, since it would mirror the CCS2 experience in Europe. But just as Tesla offered a hardware upgrade pathway for older European cars, I hope the same will happen in N. America

Or perhaps the CCS1 adapter will deprecate the CHAdeMO (yuck) adapter enough to hold my nose and buy one cheaply on the used market. The one saving grace of the CHAdeMO adapter is its reliability connecting to working CHAdeMO, which cannot be said for the hodgepodge of CCS1 incompatibilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl and KJD
Great to hear that news. But a tesla adapter is only going to work with 2021+ Teslas with CCS PLC communications hardware. Setec will still be the answer for those with older cars.
Makes sense, but can you elaborate regarding what you know and how you know it? Is this based on info announced for Korea? How difficult would a hardware upgrade be for older cars?

Reactions: srs5694
I just received the CCS adaptor which I bought directly from Lectron. I am a Mac-only household and I have confirmed with Lectron support that the firmware can only be updated via Windows. Which is very annoying. Now I have to find someone with a Windows PC.

Today I tried using the adaptor for the first time at a BC Hydro CCS station in North Vancouver, BC. I could not charge. The charging station displayed the message “Session cancelled by the vehicle”. I called the BC Hydro EV charging helpline and they confirmed that the charging station was working normally. It’s clear to me the problem is the adaptor.
Today I found a Windows 10 Pro notebook computer to use to try to update the firmware in my new Lectron CCS adaptor for Tesla.

I followed the instructions shown at Download CCS Charger Latest Firmware Updates

I completed steps 1, 2, and 3. I was not able to complete step 4 because there I could not find a “Ports” listing in the Device Manager. See second photo below.

I then attempted to complete step 5. I ran the V150.exe file and noticed that the Tesla adaptor firmware writer window did not show a port number in the Ports field. It showed an “Unhandled exception” error. See photo below. That did not surprise me since apparently the firmware could not detect the CCS adaptor connected to the computer through the USB port. It was connected using the correct mini USB cable. At this point I do not know how to get the Windows computer I was using (not my own computer) to detect the adaptor that I had it connected to, so I am not yet able to update the firmware.

For a consumer product the Lectron firmware update procedure is much to complex.

BE208440-E2B6-4676-85B7-87A0C89AA466.jpeg
2F60D314-1D5E-4513-9853-5149FBE1BFE1.jpeg

That would not surprise me, since it would mirror the CCS2 experience in Europe. But just as Tesla offered a hardware upgrade pathway for older European cars, I hope the same will happen in N. America

Or perhaps the CCS1 adapter will deprecate the CHAdeMO (yuck) adapter enough to hold my nose and buy one cheaply on the used market. The one saving grace of the CHAdeMO adapter is its reliability connecting to working CHAdeMO, which cannot be said for the hodgepodge of CCS1 incompatibilities.

Makes sense, but can you elaborate regarding what you know and how you know it? Is this based on info announced for Korea? How difficult would a hardware upgrade be for older cars?

The Chargeport ECU board which handles all the communications (on the inside wheel fender) would need to be replaced, and not sure if the car reprogrammed as well. These boards included CCS PLC hardware in european cars (not sure when they started...much earlier), then it was found in late 2020 they started showing up in north american cars as well. They all use the same white enclosures but the PCB inside is a different size (there are probably several different iterations). No way to know details for sure till Tesla ships the adapter.

YouTube blogger with deep hooks in the Tesla community told me the other week that a friend of his in N. America was part of a group testing a Tesla produced CCS1 to Tesla adapter. He called the adapter a 'prototype'; I think I would call it beta. The testing had been ongoing for about two weeks.
Thanks! Yeah, my guess is that when Tesla announces the supercharger network is open to non Tesla cars, they'll offer the CCS1 adapter to make things more "fair"

Reactions: SageBrush
For the person who tried to execute the firmware update, you must plug in the adapter first into your USB then it will create a COM Port and you will not get the error when opening the firmware software. Also if it does NOT create a com port you have to install a window driver located here: https://www.setec-power.com/update-package/CH34x_Install_Windows_v3_4.EXE

For the person who tried to execute the firmware update, you must plug in the adapter first into your USB then it will create a COM Port and you will not get the error when opening the firmware software. Also if it does NOT create a com port you have to install a window driver located here: https://www.setec-power.com/update-package/CH34x_Install_Windows_v3_4.EXE
Thank you for that advice. I did first plug my adaptor into the Windows 10 Pro noteboook computer I borrowed to try to update the firmware in my new Lectron adaptor.

And I did install the Windows driver you referred to. That is step 2 on the Lectron support page at Download CCS Charger Latest Firmware Updates . As my previous post stated, I completed steps 1, 2 and 3 on that page. I was not able to complete step 4 because I could not find a “Ports” listing in the Device Manager, which I showed in the first attached photo in my post upthread.

So for some reason, the Windows computer I was using did not create a COM port when I plugged in my adaptor. I do not know why. I have described my issue in an email to Lectron support. So far they have not helped me solve the issue.

I'm sure he used the cable that comes with the adapter, a reboot is also an important step, one more thought, perhaps you need to run as administrator, right click the exe and select run as admin
I'm pretty sure that mine (purchased about two months ago, received shortly after the July 4 weekend) did not come with a USB cable. That could have changed, of course, or mine might have shipped without a cable by a mistake. Also, even if it came with a cable, it might have been defective; such problems are not uncommon, especially in products from China.