Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is how CCS1 looks like Here in Ukraine, we do charge US spec (mostly salvage) cars with CCS1 or CCS2 adapter, it works fine on fresh MS/MX manuf date from 02/2020 or M3/MYwith ECU replacement, rest MS/MX needs CCS retrofit (same as EU spec cars does)
CCS2 works fine with Tesla Supercharger (v3)
Can be a nice alternative to Setec

iDNH1Iy.jpg

Yeah, that's the official Tesla Combo 2 adapter. That had been out for a while already. Note the "CCS-1" on the charger is simply referring to slot 1 on the charger, not the CCS1 we are currently discussing on this thread. You can see on the holder itself it's a Type 2 port on the top half, not J1772.
Tesla slashes price of CCS retrofit for Model S and Model X
I was simply showing the size of it relative to the vehicle and plug. I would expect CCS-1 and CCS-2 adapters to be *very* close to the same size.
68X3KYu.jpg

After updating my recently acquired SETEC CCS adaptor to firmware V150 (a hassle to do, since I do not own a Windows computer and have to borrow one) I was able to successfully charge my Model X for the first time at a BC Hydro charging station in North Vancouver, BC. My X is on V2020.48.37.2

I have not yet had the opportunity to try charging my Model 3 at that station, and I may not even bother because I typically don’t use that car for long distance trips. I bought the SETEC adaptor to potentially use while towing my trailer in areas of Canada that do not yet have Superchargers in place or where they are too far apart for me given the significantly greater energy usage while towing (which with my trailer is 50-80% more depending on conditions).
I too have no Windows machine (Linux household) to update the Setec firmware but managed to get a Windows virtual machine working in VirtualBox. VB is open source and I downloaded the Windows vm directly from Microsoft. It's a developer evaluation copy with a 10 day expiry, but I can reload the image whenever I need to work with Setec firmware. The Windows image is live, so it's ready to run upon loading, with no further installation needed.

I managed to install the Setec drivers and can run the capture tool. The capture tool reported the currently installed firmware v150 when I turn on the Setec adapter, so the connection appears good. I suspect this is sufficient when I need to update the Setec firmware.

This will also allow me to collect data and contribute to Setec's ongoing efforts.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
After reading so many CCS2/CCS1 responses, could it be as simple as a daisy chaining a...

CCS1 ---> CCS2 ---> Tesla

As in, CCS1 to CCS2 adapter, then CCS2 to tesla? Probably not that simple but one can dream right?

View attachment 705685

View attachment 705687
There was a company not too long ago selling a CCS1 -> Tesla passthrough adapter. It didn't work on NA cars, though. I'm not sure what happened to them.
EDIT: This was it: Tesla US CCS1/CCS2 (400A) - Seems like it might work on some Model X or S cars?

There was a company not too long ago selling a CCS1 -> Tesla passthrough adapter. It didn't work on NA cars, though. I'm not sure what happened to them.
EDIT: This was it: Tesla US CCS1/CCS2 (400A) - Seems like it might work on some Model X or S cars?
The upper part only has 3 holes. Attached is a US CCS1 plug with 5 pins in the upper part. Tesla's adapter will need to accommodate the additional pins.

Attachments

• 20210723_194228.jpg
    20210723_194228.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 35
After reading so many CCS2/CCS1 responses, could it be as simple as a daisy chaining a...

CCS1 ---> CCS2 ---> Tesla

As in, CCS1 to CCS2 adapter, then CCS2 to tesla? Probably not that simple but one can dream right?

View attachment 705685

View attachment 705687
If you have a European Tesla, yes. Otherwise the Tesla adapter won't plug into your car.

Not really. If there are K car types, L car software versions, and M brands of CCS chargers, likely with N software versions each, in order to do full interoperability testing one would need to have K x L x M x N test systems and do as many tests.
If K = 4 (S 3 X Y), L = 3 (last 3 versions), M = 5 (a wild, possibly optimistic guess), and N = 3 (last 3 versions - another guess).
They would have to have 180 different different vehicles. They could never make it selling a few thousand devices for only a few $ hundred if they were to maintain and use that much test equipment.
Much cheaper to pass to customers and wait for the complaints.
I get what you're saying. I realize they are outside the country with a different set of conditions. But they have not tried twice and still not gotten a fix. Do we now how the 3/Y is identifying the SETEC vs CHADEMO?

Here's a what-if. Isn't the CHADEMO adapter more then a dump pass-thru (people have mentioned there's firmware in there). Each adapter might also have a serial number. Tesla could just be checking the adapter against a list of of authorized serial numbers. SETEC could try to close a serial number but Tesla could easily notice that (too many people using the same serial number).

Tesla should really bring out their own adapter. For a "dump" adapter they have to replace a module in the car. This will get more irritating when Tesla opens up the Superchargers to other EVs. They can use ours, but we can't use theirs?

Long term, we somehow need to get to 1 charging standard.

Reactions: kayak1

Worst thing about standards is that we have so many of them-and everyone thinks theirs is the best!

I do agree though. Now that CHAdeMO is effectively dying off that leaves just two, CCS1 and Tesla. With a Tesla (official) Tesla to CCS1 adaptor Then all Teslas are pretty much covered for the long haul.

As far as other makes cars are concerned, not really wanting to see non-Teslas filling up the supercharger bays, especially on crowded holiday drives, but we’re probably heading that direction too.

As far as other makes cars are concerned, not really wanting to see non-Teslas filling up the supercharger bays, especially on crowded holiday drives, but we’re probably heading that direction too.
Look at it this way, the limiting factor on site installation right now is availability of site partners.

Having more cars filling them up can fix that and can only help us in the long run.

Tesla is really aggressive in expanding when they have opportunities to do so.

I get what you're saying. I realize they are outside the country with a different set of conditions. But they have not tried twice and still not gotten a fix. Do we now how the 3/Y is identifying the SETEC vs CHADEMO?

Here's a what-if. Isn't the CHADEMO adapter more then a dump pass-thru (people have mentioned there's firmware in there). Each adapter might also have a serial number. Tesla could just be checking the adapter against a list of of authorized serial numbers. SETEC could try to close a serial number but Tesla could easily notice that (too many people using the same serial number).

Tesla should really bring out their own adapter. For a "dump" adapter they have to replace a module in the car. This will get more irritating when Tesla opens up the Superchargers to other EVs. They can use ours, but we can't use theirs?

The SETEC definitely identifies itself as Chademo to the car but it must not be doing a perfect job of emulating the Tesla Chademo adapter. And even if it was, yes, all charge connectors report their serial numbers to the car so it could be that simple as well. But there is more smarts and complexity to the setec, it has its own contactor and delays high voltage to the car after the charger ramps up.
Really wish I had a chademo adapter so I could trace and log them side by side.

The opening up the SC's to all is disturbing. Currently it's one of Tesla's biggest perks but there are waits sometimes. Opened up we lose the perk and probably gain more waits. I don't think any earnings it will generate will be offset by sending buyers to other makes. It does fit with the mission statement but...

Reactions: theothertom
Elon has already announced that Tesla will be opening up superchargers to other brands. Speculation is that they're doing this to capture some of the infrastructure $$ that is pending in congress.

The opening up the SC's to all is disturbing. Currently it's one of Tesla's biggest perks but there are waits sometimes. Opened up we lose the perk and probably gain more waits. I don't think any earnings it will generate will be offset by sending buyers to other makes. It does fit with the mission statement but...
Either an adapter(s) needs to be released, new stations will include a CCS plug or new vehicles will use the Tesla plug natively. None of those options really threaten to overrun superchargers with non Tesla cars anytime soon and even if they decide to retrofit some of the older stations, I highly doubt it would be the congested ones.

If they add a CCS (and maybe even a chademo) on a supercharger, it may suddenly even be viable to start filling in a bunch of secondary routes and rural areas that previously wouldn't have been economically viable.

Either an adapter(s) needs to be released, new stations will include a CCS plug or new vehicles will use the Tesla plug natively. None of those options really threaten to overrun superchargers with non Tesla cars anytime soon and even if they decide to retrofit some of the older stations, I highly doubt it would be the congested ones.

If they add a CCS (and maybe even a chademo) on a supercharger, it may suddenly even be viable to start filling in a bunch of secondary routes and rural areas that previously wouldn't have been economically viable.
Yeah, tbh, these capacity concerns are overblown in general. EA was giving away free charging all weekend! I used two of their sites with the CHAdeMO adapter and saw one other vehicle the whole time.

There just aren't _that_ many non-Tesla folks actively doing this. Maybe that will change, but by then the SC network can grow dramatically too.