Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@JWardell , @softcoder had a tease earlier. See above.

I obviously saw that post, but it doesn't actually contribute any information. I was asking if anyone else has had any communications with Setec, as I'm sure their hundreds of customers that suddenly have doorstops have also probably reached out to Setec. Hopefully someone else has more information, or more specific ideas on what the issue is. I wish I had access to a Chademo adapter to directly compare the two and figure out the differences myself.

Reactions: scottf200
ok here's what I've found This is with a 2015 S90D (your mileage may vary)
As others have noted earlier in the thread, the Model S and Model X still work with the Setec adapter, even with 2021.24.x firmware, although Tesla did reduce the maximum charge amperage from 200A to 125A in the S/X, as it always has been with the Model 3 and Model Y. For owners of the Model 3/Y running Tesla's 2021.24.x firmware, the Setec adapter is now effectively a doorstop, although the expectation is that Setec will, sooner or later, release their own firmware update to get it working again. (There are no guarantees about this, but it seems likely.)

As others have noted earlier in the thread, the Model S and Model X still work with the Setec adapter, even with 2021.24.x firmware
Sorry but it’s been hard to keep current with this massive thread: can you point me to posts about an X on 2021.24 successfully using the SETEC adaptor?

I have posted in this thread (and started a specific thread in the X forum but no responses yet) that my X on 2020.43.48.37.2 can charge using the adaptor. My X is on old firmware because I moved into a condo 4 months ago and my condo garage does not have a cell or wifi signal (trying to get that rectified).

It strikes me as odd that a 3 on current firmware cannot charge with the adaptor but the S/X can. That inclines me to believe that Tesla did not intentionally block the adaptor on the 3.

I have a 3 on 2021.4.18 but have not yet tried charging it with my new adaptor as I don’t use it for long trips to areas off the main highways here in BC and doubt I will ever have the need to charge it on CCS. It’s my trailer towing trips with my X where I felt a CCS adaptor would be helpful and indeed it was this week on the road from Vancouver to Ucluelet.

Sorry but it’s been hard to keep current with this massive thread: can you point me to posts about an X on 2021.24 successfully using the SETEC adaptor?

I have posted in this thread (and started a specific thread in the X forum but no responses yet) that my X on 2020.43.48.37.2 can charge using the adaptor. My X is on old firmware because I moved into a condo 4 months ago and my condo garage does not have a cell or wifi signal (trying to get that rectified).

It strikes me as odd that a 3 on current firmware cannot charge with the adaptor but the S/X can. That inclines me to believe that Tesla did not intentionally block the adaptor on the 3.

I have a 3 on 2021.4.18 but have not yet tried charging it with my new adaptor as I don’t use it for long trips to areas off the main highways here in BC and doubt I will ever have the need to charge it on CCS. It’s my trailer towing trips with my X where I felt a CCS adaptor would be helpful and indeed it was this week on the road from Vancouver to Ucluelet.
Here's quotes regarding S - there were no X owners with recent versions posting. Model X uses the same charging electronics as a Model S.
These two posts reflect pre-Raven and post-Raven builds.
I just reconfirmed that a 2019 LR can still charge at EA using the Setec CCS1 adapter (V.150) after updating to 2021.24.4. I initially charged while still on 2021.12.25.7 (47kW), updated in situ and charged again at 47kW. Figured I'd just add another confirmation on the Model S. Not new news, but another data point.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/setec-ccs-to-tesla-adapter.216599/page-54#post-5890544

Unfortunately I did not see the threads on these shenanigans until after I let the car update to 2021.24.5. (I will not be updating for a while now!).

There is no CCS near me, but stopped at a EA 150W charger (BTC 150). Was giving me isolation fault errors with v150. I downgraded my adapter to v145 (known to work). I was able to charge. HOWEVER... as noted by others on this forum, I am no only charging at 48 kw (previously I would charge up to 70+ kw / 200a. So, yes, Tesla has dumbed down so the S is now like the M3 was, limited to Chademo speeds. But, it does work if you're at 2021.24.5.

Until I see more info from Setec, or Tesla decides to release the vaporware CCS adapter, will hold tight on this firmware, and be pissed off that I no longer get the 200A I paid for and was getting.

Good luck in OK
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/setec-ccs-to-tesla-adapter.216599/page-56#post-5904624

I obviously saw that post, but it doesn't actually contribute any information. I was asking if anyone else has had any communications with Setec, as I'm sure their hundreds of customers that suddenly have doorstops have also probably reached out to Setec. Hopefully someone else has more information, or more specific ideas on what the issue is. I wish I had access to a Chademo adapter to directly compare the two and figure out the differences myself.
Yes I and I'm sure others have been in contact with Setec in a two way conversation, with Setec providing some new versions of firmware to test, and us providing logs back to them, but I havn't had had them say anything specific other than requesting logs if things don't work.

While the first "new" version seemed to have some problems in the pre-charge phase, newer versions pass this but have a problem in the next phase, and seemed to add more logging information (or just the logging information changes because its in a different phase).

Personally, looking at the logs, I can't see this being the result of Tesla specifically blocking the adapter, it looks like it is aborting because there is some signal that is not what it is looking for (I'm not going to post the logs specifically, but from my read of them it sounds like it is probably enough for their programmer to know where its failing and what signal it's looking for, it's just down to what value/range is it looking for)
This sounds like it should be fixable.

As an indication that it's probably not an explicit block, right at the start the adapter states it has a 200.0A maximum current and 450.0V maximum voltage. Tesla could have used the 200.0A current as an immediate flag that this is not a CHAdeMO adapter on a CHAdeMO charger and blocked it then and there and not have to go through the process of the charger/adapter possibly putting "dangerous" voltages on the DC bus.
Instead it goes through the process, so it's probably not specifically blocking the adapter.

As an indication that it's probably not an explicit block, right at the start the adapter states it has a 200.0A maximum current and 450.0V maximum voltage. Tesla could have used the 200.0A current as an immediate flag that this is not a CHAdeMO adapter on a CHAdeMO charger and blocked it then and there

I don't have an opinion whether Tesla is trying to block SETEC, but if I was a programmer tasked to block SETEC I would not set a block that would be so easily circumvented. I don't think your example moves the needle in either direction.

Unfortunately I did not see the threads on these shenanigans until after I let the car update to 2021.24.5. (I will not be updating for a while now!).

There is no CCS near me, but stopped at a EA 150W charger (BTC 150). Was giving me isolation fault errors with v150. I downgraded my adapter to v145 (known to work). I was able to charge. HOWEVER... as noted by others on this forum, I am no only charging at 48 kw (previously I would charge up to 70+ kw / 200a. So, yes, Tesla has dumbed down so the S is now like the M3 was, limited to Chademo speeds. But, it does work if you're at 2021.24.5.

Until I see more info from Setec, or Tesla decides to release the vaporware CCS adapter, will hold tight on this firmware, and be pissed off that I no longer get the 200A I paid for and was getting.

Good luck in OK
As a quick additional note. Early versions of the Setec firmware would not work because of issues with the precharge phase. When I tested using v150 on a 150kw BTC unit, I was seeing this behavior again. Fortunately I have kept an archive of firmware in my laptop, and kept loading older and older until I got to v145 and it worked. I understand that Setec may be revising to fix this again
As for the slower charging speed now on MS and MX vehicles. In addition to the inconvenience, at some locations this actually is costing the end user. Here in PA, electrify america charges by the minute. With only 2/3 of my previous charge rate, it’s going to cost more.
In reality, this doesn’t affect me that much. It’s the time thing that does. At work, where I park my car there is a 4 cabinet supercharger, but it is always full up. Down the block are 10 CCS cabinets that never get used. Since the charge rate at the supercharger was limited to 75kw when it was full, going to the CCS adapter wasn’t a loss, as I was charging there at the same speed. Now I don’t.
If this is really a ‘safety’ concern that the Tesla Prince relates in his YT video, it will be interesting to see how Tesla addresses this with their CCS adapter (if they ever bother to release one)

The explanation is confusing because you would expect the charge to stop when you press the release button. Must be something we are overlooking or the Tesla person was not telling the 100% ;) correct reasoning (ie. if there was an intentional reason vs an accidental change that had this side effect).

Related J1772 to CCS1 basic wiki text on the proximity detection pin. In a quick search, I didn't see the actual spec for the CCS1.
L7P80cJ.jpg

DTdyfTT.jpg

EpTKiVp.jpg

aepjt1J.jpg

Last edited:
@scottf200 I'm not sure what your point is in the post above. With CCS Type 1 in North America, it is possible for both the handle and the vehicle to mechanically block the button action to release the charge port. I have not checked recent installations, but back when I had an e-Golf the REMA handle pictured above did have a button lock and the e-Golf had its own solenoid to block the charge port latch.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
@scottf200 I'm not sure what your point is in the post above. With CCS Type 1 in North America, it is possible for both the handle and the vehicle to mechanically block the button action to release the charge port. I have not checked recent installations, but back when I had an e-Golf the REMA handle pictured above did have a button lock and the e-Golf had its own solenoid to block the charge port latch.
Oh, that's really interesting. I didn't know that vehicle side locking was a thing with ccs combo 1.

Maybe I'm confused at 2:54 in the video he indicated Tesla says their problem with it is that it can be unplugged while charging (ala high voltage electricity flowing).

I thought the CCS1 plugs would mechanically latch (lock) on to the 'hook' of the cars CCS1 port or the SETEC adapter in this case. (the pictures in my above post).

To be honest, I'm confused by your 'block' comments ... are you saying the handles you've used in the past bypass that mechanical safety mechanism?

If the button was pressed on the CCS1 plug it would immediately stop the charging and allow it to be disconnected/unplugged.
THUS there should be no safety issue as you can't unplug the adapter while current is flowing.

uvxPOok.jpg

Maybe I'm confused at 2:54 in the video he indicated Tesla says their problem with it is that it can be unplugged while charging (ala high voltage electricity flowing).

I thought the CCS1 plugs would mechanically latch (lock) on to the 'hook' of the cars CCS1 port or the SETEC adapter in this case. (the pictures in my above post).

To be honest, I'm confused by your 'block' comments ... are you saying the handles you've used in the past bypass that mechanical safety mechanism?

If the button was pressed on the CCS1 plug it would immediately stop the charging and allow it to be disconnected/unplugged.
THUS there should be no safety issue as you can't unplug the adapter while current is flowing.

uvxPOok.jpg

That function is reliant upon the adapter's firmware handling the proximity detection correctly and communicating the disconnect request to the vehicle quickly enough that the flow of power stops before the charge cable is disconnected. If there's a bug in a firmware version that doesn't command the vehicle to stop charging when the release button is pressed, or if the connector is disconnected faster than the adapter and the vehicle can respond, you could find yourself disconnecting energized equipment. I don't have a SETEC CCS adapter and I have no idea how or if they handle proximity detection in their adapter's firmware. Tesla clearly has cause for general concern (if not specifically related to the proximity detection function) since there are at least two examples of the SETEC adapter supplying DC voltage to the car without the car being ready for it, frying the AC charging components.

Last edited:
I performed tests today and confirmed the actual issue with the SETEC:
Normally, pressing the latch release button on a J1772 and CCS handle stops charging, before you have a chance to pull the connector out.
But this does not occur with the Setec!
I thought this sent a signal to the charger, but in fact it adds resistance to the proximity signal going to the car (or in this case the setec adapter). Setec should be monitoring the button and stopping the charge or passing it along to the car, but it does not. Seems like a pretty big oversight to me on Setec's part!
That means that during your 50kW charge you can pull out the CCS end of the connection without the charger and car shutting it down. Best case is giant sparks and charred pins. Worst case is injury or blown HV fuses.
If anyone has Setec's ear, please tell them to find a solution to this ASAP. Sadly it might require hardware mod.

uvxPOok.jpg
I didn't watch the video. The yellow underlined text accurately describes the AC J1772 spec. The thing I was actually referring to was a CCS Combo1 DC charging handle where the charger would mechanically block you from depressing the button, thereby maintaining the latch engagement. My VW e-Golf had a solenoid driven pin that would similarly block the button actuated latch from moving up and disengaging from the hook on the charge port. In the e-Golf case, the solenoid was used for AC and DC charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
My VW e-Golf had a solenoid driven pin that would similarly block the button actuated latch from moving up and disengaging from the hook on the charge port. In the e-Golf case, the solenoid was used for AC and DC charging.
The Model 3/Y is the same. They lock the SETEC adapter to the car. The problem is that it appears that the SETEC adapter doesn't lock the CCS cable to the adapter. (Which I think, but am not certain, is required as part of the CCS spec.)

I think the CCS2 spec has the charger cable lock to the car, instead of the car locking the cable like with CCS1.

The Model 3/Y is the same. They lock the SETEC adapter to the car. The problem is that it appears that the SETEC adapter doesn't lock the CCS cable to the adapter. (Which I think, but am not certain, is required as part of the CCS spec.)

I think the CCS2 spec has the charger cable lock to the car, instead of the car locking the cable like with CCS1.
CCS Combo2 and AC Type 2 require the car to lock the handle to the car. This is why the European automakers like VW and BMW are fond of putting the charge port lock on their Type 1 (J1772 / CCS Combo1) vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike