Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
uvxPOok.jpg

The yellow underlined text accurately describes the AC J1772 spec.

Thanks for the clarity in the several things you responded to.

On many occasions, while charging our car with either the AC connection (supplied charger with the car or Tesla J1772 adapter) or the DC connection at Tesla Superchargers,
I have initiated the charge to stop by pushing the button on the plug handles. I habitually look at the lights to change from green to light blue before disconnecting.

However, certainly, there are people that press the button and pull the handle expecting it to stop 'immediately'. Or they do it accidentally while in a hurry.

I can count on one hand, pressing the stop charging button the on car's screen (or phone app).

UPDATE: So when people are using the SETEC adapter and they press the button on the CCS1 handle, then they must NOT see the Tesla charge port light change from green to light blue? Meaning it did not signal the car and charging equipment to stop charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight
One interesting item to point out, while testing charging at some 25kw 'Delta' chargers (used by Ministry of Transportation in BC, Canada) we discovered that some chargers are not calibrated correctly and send too large of a variance in voltage causing the charge session to fail.

Since there were two chargers there I was able to test both, one of them sent the correct voltage requested while the other did not (the model 3 asked for 380 but the bad charger sent 370). This issue does not apply to Chademo as that standard just monitors current but CCS monitors voltage accuracy.

I should mention these Delta chargers have been problematic all along and in my area the CCS plugs seem to break easily as indicated on plugshare.

One interesting item to point out, while testing charging at some 25kw 'Delta' chargers (used by Ministry of Transportation in BC, Canada) we discovered that some chargers are not calibrated correctly and send too large of a variance in voltage causing the charge session to fail.

Since there were two chargers there I was able to test both, one of them sent the correct voltage requested while the other did not (the model 3 asked for 380 but the bad charger sent 370). This issue does not apply to Chademo as that standard just monitors current but CCS monitors voltage accuracy.

I should mention these Delta chargers have been problematic all along and in my area the CCS plugs seem to break easily as indicated on plugshare.
So, did you test the new firmware? Refreshing you YouTube channel. :)

I just confirmed, firmware 161 works!
I just tested one setec after another, older firmware stops charging right at the end of handshaking with charger error, switch to setec with 161 and it successfully charges.

HOWEVER, setec still does not detect the CCS latch button, so I expect Tesla to block it in a different way in the near future. We may have a cat and mouse game until Setec fixes it’s hardware.

I did take CAN logs of the whole process so I will analyze tonight and see if I can see what timing or sequencing they changed.

Does anyone have the CCS1 standard stating who is supposed to lock the clip on a CCS1 plug? Is it the car or the charging station? For chademo and CCS1 I think it is the charger side that is responsible to lock the plug in place but I am looking for facts not theory, any links to actual North American Spec would be appreciated. CCS2 is totally different.

On my Tesla Model 3 the charging station locks the chademo in place while charging.

For example just charging with J1772 if i press the unlatch on the charger, it stops charging (there is no lock), I believe this is the charging station doing its thing because there is no lock and the Tesla side has no way to know. (some people buy a plastic clip to lock it so others cannot unplug)

Last edited:
However in this case the car does lock the connector (Tesla) this is the other end which for chademo the charging station locks, being an adapter I dont know if this fits the standard since there is no current CCS1 adapter this is the first, so is there a spec for a use case that did not exist before?
CHAdeMO isn't involved in this. (Other than the SETEC adapter pretends to be the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter to the vehicle.) The SETEC adapter acts as the vehicle to the CCS charger, therefore it is responsible for locking the cable to itself. If it doesn't it is a major safety problem. Imagine a bystander disconnecting the cable while it is charging at ~50kW, who will be responsible for their injuries and/or possible death? SETEC or the owner of the adapter/vehicle? (It won't be the CCS charger owner as it isn't their responsibility to lock the cable to the vehicle/adapter.)

Reactions: kayak1 and Big Earl