Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is also being done in Pasadena, too (city not far from here) where Tesla is *partnering up* with another company and letting them build a few CCS/CHAD chargers in the same lot. Good for them!

i’d rather that than have to wait for a stall to open up because a few Id.4’s, Taycans and e-stangs all decided to charge in front of me at an SC charger.

Separate but Equal!
I feel like there's a lot of separate but equal being pushed these days from schools with names like "Frankfurt" :)
Hoping "a few CCS/CHAD chargers in the same lot" don't just get shared juice with a transformer that already hits max if the Tesla pedestals are full or near full.

This is also being done in Pasadena, too (city not far from here) where Tesla is *partnering up* with another company and letting them build a few CCS/CHAD chargers in the same lot. Good for them!

i’d rather that than have to wait for a stall to open up because a few Id.4’s, Taycans and e-stangs all decided to charge in front of me at an SC charger.

Separate but Equal!
That was actually a partnership between Tesla and the City of Pasadena's initiative more than with another company. The City had the non-Tesla Chargers installed and Tesla provided the Superchargers.

Reactions: theothertom
Just successfully charged at a Tritium Veefil charging cabinet operated by Shell, and connected to the Greenlots network. Setec firmware V161-1. Worked 100% fine first time. Got about 45Kw speed out of it. Has segmented LED lights for the retro gas pump look. Here's some pics for comparison. What's funny is that there's four charging cabinets here, and all but one are facing the right way, towards the car. This one happens to face away from the car. Perhaps someone goofed on the install. Apparently this cabinet is one of the first generation DC chargers, as it maxes out at 50Kw.

IMG_6372.jpg
IMG_6370.jpg

Last edited:
It should be noted, I discovered with Setec that some chargers that are 'out of calibration' will fail to charge with the adapter (as well as some EV's). At a rest area near my home we tested two 25kw Delta chargers, one worked fine while the other did not. The one that failed was due to the charger not giving the charge rate requested by the car by too large of a margin of error. It is possible there are other chargers out there having this problem, in our case the company supporting the chargers is slow to respond and not very familiar with correcting the issue. Some CCS native EV's charge ok and some do not as per the comments on plugshare.

Last edited:
Just successfully charged at a Tritium Veefil charging cabinet

Yep that's the Veefil/RT50 which has just been superseded by the RTM75 that can go to 75kW and charge both sides.

They've also got a 350kW unit but it has a rectangular screen and much thicker top mounted cables.

Revel has rolled out a bunch of the newer RTM unit in Brooklyn NY (though they've permanently attached Tesla connectors to most of CHAdeMO handles)

Side note but that icon for the CCS connector is actually a CCS2 plug.

What's funny is that there's four charging cabinets here, and all but one are facing the right way, towards the car.
I suspect that’s for easier wheelchair access. A ramp is visible in the photo. Two CCS/CHAdeMO chargers were installed in a nearby shopping plaza. Originally both faced forward. We returned from a vacation and one had been turned backwards with a ramp.

Just successfully charged at a Tritium Veefil charging cabinet operated by Shell, and connected to the Greenlots network. Setec firmware V161-1. Worked 100% fine first time. Got about 45Kw speed out of it. Has segmented LED lights for the retro gas pump look. Here's some pics for comparison. What's funny is that there's four charging cabinets here, and all but one are facing the right way, towards the car. This one happens to face away from the car. Perhaps someone goofed on the install. Apparently this cabinet is one of the first generation DC chargers, as it maxes out at 50Kw.

View attachment 712598View attachment 712599
Interesting. That unit looks VERY similar to the one I couldn't get to work in Clayton, GA. I'm glad it worked for you. Maybe I should have tried a little longer or a few different ways. It was tough in the pouring rain with wifey and our realtor waiting on me at the Cafe for lunch.

Maybe I should have tried a little longer or a few different ways. It was tough in the pouring rain with wifey and our realtor waiting on me at the Cafe for lunch.
The other possibility is the unit is simply broke. Unlike Tesla, there’s not really any uniform standards these DCFC’s are held to, especially when it comes to regular maintenance. Too many different operators, vendors, cabinet makers, and software types. It wouldn’t surprise me if nobody has serviced them since they were installed!

Reactions: jsight
Charged successfully yesterday, albeit slowly at only 29 kW!) at this DCFC. Only took one try on V161-1.

I sent a note to ChargePoint, and if you check the check-ins, everybody else is seeing slow rates, too. This unit *should* dispense 62.5 kW, so why it has been derated is an ongoing mystery.
That type of station has two charging modules inside. If it's giving about half power, one module has likely failed.

The other possibility is the unit is simply broke. Unlike Tesla, there’s not really any uniform standards these DCFC’s are held to, especially when it comes to regular maintenance. Too many different operators, vendors, cabinet makers, and software types. It wouldn’t surprise me if nobody has serviced them since they were installed!
Well I've seen people using both sides of that charger without issue. The weekend before I was up there and someone was using the CCS side and I could hear it purring... plugshare would show people having problems too if it was consistently giving issues. There's a couple that reported a problem but the large majority are saying the DC charger works fine. 🤷‍♂️

Download the Setec Diagnostics tool here:

Using the same cable that works to upgrade the firmware plug it into the adapter and your Windows PC.

Run ev.exe, and click open to open the communication to the adapter

Now try charging at a station that does not work and the program should start capturing communication.

After the charge fails and everything has stopped, click the save button and it will ask the filename and location to save to.
PM me this file and I will pass along to Setec.

Dear Tesla, this is the exact situation that demonstrates why you need to officially support CCS for REDUNDANCY. I’m about to drive through one of the most barren stretches of road in the entire country, and the supercharger might be down, and my route planner says there is no viable plan.
Luckily I have a setec adapter with me and there is an electrify America station in green river as well.

Oh and to cut this future comment off at the pass: yes I have the chademo one as well, but have arrived to broken (single) chademo at EA plenty of times and don’t trust that as my option.
DF5FBBA9-491D-40AE-BDF6-DB81CBACD26A.jpeg
8D923BF5-3491-460D-882B-13431E5DE2E8.jpeg

Interesting. That unit looks VERY similar to the one I couldn't get to work in Clayton, GA. I'm glad it worked for you. Maybe I should have tried a little longer or a few different ways. It was tough in the pouring rain with wifey and our realtor waiting on me at the Cafe for lunch.
I actually used the adapter at the Clayton ccs charger today going between chattanooga and greenville. Times out the first time but then it kicked in and worked the 2nd try.

Here is the report from teslafi.

SmartSelect_20210924-222045_Chrome.jpg