Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because it is a passive adapter. (CHAdeMO required complicated electronics to work.) Though older vehicles will probably require a retrofit to be able to use the adapter.
So if it's passive I assume a software update would be required for a 3 or a Y to accept a DC charge from a 3rd part station? Or would it work now? I wonder if they'd limit it to 50kw like their chademo adpater.

So if it's passive I assume a software update would be required for a 3 or a Y to accept a DC charge from a 3rd part station? Or would it work now? I wonder if they'd limit it to 50kw like their chademo adpater.
We've heard that the software is already there for cars that have the necessary hardware.

From what the South Korean site says the adapter will allow up to 300A. So 105kW to 120kW depending on state of charge and car model. (The CCS adapter in the EU is limited to 142kW, so I would expect this one to be similar.)

Reactions: kayak1 and Big Earl
Says the adaptor that just went on sale today in S Korea is up to 150kW.
CCS adaptor now on sale
They are probably basing that on the rating of 500v x 300A. The problem is that no Tesla currently has a battery with voltage that high. The refresh Model S tops out at about 450v, but when the battery is at that voltage, i.e. full, you won't be getting 300A...

Reactions: Big Earl and jsight
If this is passive I'd imagine a 3rd party can reverse design it and sell one like a generic J1772-Tesla adapter?
They could, but likely won't as they likely wouldn't make any money. Are there any third party J1772 adapters sold that are cheaper than Tesla sells them for?

Seems like SETEC will need to lower their price as the Tesla CCS1 is roughly $255?
They will likely just stop making/selling it, as there would be almost no reason for it. The only reason I could think of is for people with cars that didn't want to, or couldn't, have the Tesla retrofit installed. (In other words salvage vehicles. But even then it sounds like anyone can install the retrofit themselves, at least on a Model 3, for ~$100. Of course that could change at any time.)

They are probably basing that on the rating of 500v x 300A. The problem is that no Tesla currently has a battery with voltage that high. The refresh Model S tops out at about 450v, but when the battery is at that voltage, i.e. full, you won't be getting 300A...
Plaid S has a 110S pack arrangement, so the peak charging voltage is more like 460VDC, so peak charging power could be up to 138kW.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
No, because when the pack is past 90% the charging current is way limited. You are only going to get maximum amps at the lower states of charge, which have a lower voltage.
The charge taper is largely because the pack is approaching max voltage during charging. Tesla doesn't show the volt and amp data while Supercharging, but you can clearly see it on other EVs and charging systems that do show it.

My closest supercharger is 30 miles away, but the nearest Chargepoint is less than 1 mile away. I have a feeling, a lot of people are like this. If you don't have a house or live in an apartment complex with your own charger, having the CCS adapter is going to make life a lot easier. Glad Tesla has finally put this out.

Reactions: kayak1 and moa999
My closest supercharger is 30 miles away, but the nearest Chargepoint is less than 1 mile away. I have a feeling, a lot of people are like this. If you don't have a house or live in an apartment complex with your own charger, having the CCS adapter is going to make life a lot easier. Glad Tesla has finally put this out.
But how much does Chargepont charge? Is it worth the extra expense?

The Electrify America station in Columbia is going to get a lot busier when this thing comes out.

Reactions: kayak1 and LBM4