Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real question, is it totally passive or is there any circuitry. (I willing to bet it is not passive). If not passive, it may be possible for Setec to reverse engineer (as they did the chademo adapter) and develop emulation for this.
The only reason for them to not make it passive is if they want to support Model S/X without needing retrofits, but given it seems this one only supports Model 3/Y out the gate (just like the CCS2 one) I say the likelihood is low.

But either way, Setec can probably reverse engineer how Tesla is doing the handshake, although it's not clear how helpful that would be for the existing Setec adapter.

The only reason for them to not make it passive is if they want to support Model S/X without needing retrofits, but given it seems this one only supports Model 3/Y out the gate (just like the CCS2 one) I say the likelihood is low.

But either way, Setec can probably reverse engineer how Tesla is doing the handshake, although it's not clear how helpful that would be for the existing Setec adapter.
For the S/X folks it might give us back our 200a charging

Lots of test results of the Tesla CCS adapter here:
I analyzed these results in this post. The charging kW is the expected Amps * pack Voltage at the given SoC, with the 350A charger capping at 300A.

With a 400V pack Tesla Model 3 LR we can't expect much more than about 113-115 kW at about 53-55% SoC, decreasing after that due to the Model 3 charging curve.

2021 refresh S and X (IF/when they will work) will get a bit better due to higher pack voltage, as well as having a charging curve that tapers off at a higher SoC.

That video has a good view of the CCS trigger lock operation as well

But this thread should probably best be kept to Setec discussion rather than the Tesla adapter.

Isn’t the Setec adapter irrelevant now with the OEM around the corner?
That assumes it is coming to North America but it's still better to keep a thread titled "Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter" on that subject.

To avoid confusion, Tesla's CCS1 to Tesla adapter should be discussed in its own thread.

Well, I'd guess the value of the Setec CCS1 adapter is going to rapidly fall off with the upcoming release of the U.S. adapter. At the moment the value is stronger for the S & X people.

Before I go post in the Tesla parts forum, anyone want my barely used adapter?
Bought it for emergency road trip use and just tested it once on an EA charger.
It's going to need that new software before it'll work again.

Wow, these are still selling for over $500. How about $250? Or make me an offer.
Not sure of the shipping, but I'll cover the first $25.

Send a PM if interested.

My current ridiculous fiasco with Tesla Korea:

1. ordered the CCS1 adapter on the Korean online store Oct 18, 2021
2. order cancelled Oct 24, 2021 by Tesla after I emailed asking when I would get an update on the order, they said I could re-order on Oct 26, 2021
3. Checked Tesla Canada online store and no CCS1 adapter ever showed, Korea store only shows out of stock
4. Tesla Korea answers my email saying sorry they are out of stock (they were NEVER in stock at any point) then they said (in the spirit of Elon):

I'm very sorry that you were not able to order this time.
We are trying to get extra stocks as soon as possible and expecting it will be in 1~2 weeks.
or now, you can get a notification from clicking the yellow highlight on tesla online shop when it's selling again.
Please make it sure to know when you are able to order again first.

----------------
So as you can see... let the games begin.

Well, I'd guess the value of the Setec CCS1 adapter is going to rapidly fall off with the upcoming release of the U.S. adapter. At the moment the value is stronger for the S & X people.

Before I go post in the Tesla parts forum, anyone want my barely used adapter?
Bought it for emergency road trip use and just tested it once on an EA charger.
It's going to need that new software before it'll work again.

Wow, these are still selling for over $500. How about $250? Or make me an offer.
Not sure of the shipping, but I'll cover the first $25.

Send a PM if interested.
I'm pretty bummed. I've never gotten my Setec to work (always running latest FW on the adapter) and it sounds like Tesla's adapter (if we even get it in NA) won't work with the Model S. :(

I'm pretty bummed. I've never gotten my Setec to work (always running latest FW on the adapter) and it sounds like Tesla's adapter (if we even get it in NA) won't work with the Model S. :(
Didn't we talk about the station in Clayton GA (or was that someone else)? I got mine to work there with 161-1 on my MYLR with 2021.11.103 firmware. Came in handy going from Chattanooga to Greenville.

@SeminoleFSU did you follow the instructions previously posted about getting the debug information from a failed charge session to provide for Setec? This will help to identify the problem, complaining without taking steps to solve the problem will never solve it.
I don't have any interest in helping them beta test. They sold me an adapter that they claimed worked. It doesn't.

FYI, when Tesla first released the Chademo adapter it also failed at some stations and it was required for you to upgrade the firmware at a service center.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/chademo-adapter-manual-in-english.pdf and I quote:

RESOLVING FAULTS If your Tesla vehicle fails to charge when using the CHAdeMO adapter, check the display on your Tesla vehicle for information about any error that may have occurred. Always check the status of the charging station. Although the CHAdeMO adapter is designed to work with all CHAdeMO charging stations, it may be incompatible with some models. Because continuous improvement is an ongoing goal at Tesla, and is necessary to ensure compatibility with as many models of CHAdeMO stations as possible, both present and future, Tesla reserves the right to make product modifications at any time. As a result, your CHAdeMO adapter may require an occasional firmware update. Firmware updates are performed by Tesla Service.

Electrify America CCS Charging Failures with Setec Tesla CCS Adapter

Tesla firmware 2021.11.103 and Setec Tesla CCS Adapter with firmware V161-1.

First time using the Setec adapter and had three failures at two different Electrify America CCS chargers. Used the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter at the one CHAdeMO charger and had no problems.

Attached are pictures of the charger types NCM2 (CCS 1 + CCS 1) and NCC (CCS 1 + CHAdeMO).

Saved adapter capture data for the three failures and sent them to "[email protected]". Is there a better email address to send the data to?

Any thoughts and what would be my next step?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Well Lectron is having me ship back the adapter. It appears they could not figure out why these chargers were not working. Oh well.

FYI, when Tesla first released the Chademo adapter it also failed at some stations and it was required for you to upgrade the firmware at a service center.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/chademo-adapter-manual-in-english.pdf and I quote:

RESOLVING FAULTS If your Tesla vehicle fails to charge when using the CHAdeMO adapter, check the display on your Tesla vehicle for information about any error that may have occurred. Always check the status of the charging station. Although the CHAdeMO adapter is designed to work with all CHAdeMO charging stations, it may be incompatible with some models. Because continuous improvement is an ongoing goal at Tesla, and is necessary to ensure compatibility with as many models of CHAdeMO stations as possible, both present and future, Tesla reserves the right to make product modifications at any time. As a result, your CHAdeMO adapter may require an occasional firmware update. Firmware updates are performed by Tesla Service.
Correct. Upgrading firmware is acceptable and reasonable. Asking owners to be a beta testers by hooking up a laptop and capturing logs to send back to them was not something Tesla asked for.... Setec's website doesn't say: if you want this to work reliably, we need you to send us your logs every time you have a charging problem.... which for me has been 100%. Maybe I have a defective unit? I know for one thing I would never rely on this thing as part of my trip planning. It's basically just an emergency backup option that I have very little faith in. I'm hoping Tesla gets their adapter working for the S/X in the US. If they do I'll get that one and sell this one for pennies on the dollar what I paid for it. Just being honest here. It is not reliable and if I had it to do over I wouldn't have bought it.

Reactions: cwerdna
Even when travel opens to fully vaxxed people, I doubt any company would consider sending employees to the US.
Travel is open, but it's the mandatory 14 day quarantine (applies in all regions Setec is involved in: South Korea, China, and Hong Kong) that's the killer. It's simply not practical to send someone on a business trip as the costs are way too high for the return. And that's putting aside the liability if they happened to catch Covid here (a very high chance given the relatively lax attitude here on Covid).