Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try a couple different micro usb cables. I had to use 3 different ones before my PC would detect it.
I can confirm that the cable used can be problematical. My adapter was recognized on the 3rd cable I tried. Thanks for the hint here as I had already tried 2 different cables but moved on to the third upon reading your recommendation.

Watch this recent video where he walks through the charge port electronics of model3/y sounds like North American models will need late 2019+ to support the ccs protocol as older models likely dont have the right hardware for the new Tesla CCS1 adapter --> here
Thanks for the link.

So the new North American cars have an ECU with a dedicated PLC transceiver.

That's good news and bad news.

First, the imported CCS adapter was tested on a 2021 SR+ yet still didn't work. If this new ECU is actually on new cars, that would mean that new cars would need a new firmware update at least.

Second, if older ECUs don't have the PLC transceiver and Tesla didn't do this in DSP software on the older ECU, the bad news is that older Model 3 will definitely need an ECU hardware retrofit. But it looks easily replaceable and probably won't be too expensive.

Thanks for the link.

So the new North American cars have an ECU with a dedicated PLC transceiver.

That's good news and bad news.

First, the imported CCS adapter was tested on a 2021 SR+ yet still didn't work. If this new ECU is actually on new cars, that would mean that new cars would need a new firmware update at least.

Second, if older ECUs don't have the PLC transceiver and Tesla didn't do this in DSP software on the older ECU, the bad news is that older Model 3 will definitely need an ECU hardware retrofit. But it looks easily replaceable and probably won't be too expensive.
Since the beginning of the discussion about the passive CCS-Combo1 adapter started, I have assumed that my 2018 Model 3 would require an upgrade to that charge port ECU in order to be able to use it. I am not expecting Tesla to offer the adapter and ECU upgrade in USA until at least the start of 2022.

Reactions: Jeff N
The pin definitely locks the charge cable to the adapter when the adapter is inserted into the car, protecting a user from arc flash in the event that they attempt to unplug the charge cord while the vehicle is still charging. The SETEC adapter has no such locking provision, resulting in a very dangerous arc flash risk.

After installing 2021.40, I just tried CCS at a nearby EA station and it failed, with the Tesla giving a status error of electric arc risk from the charger. Just a warning to those thinking about upgrading their Tesla firmware.

Interesting as this was discussed quite a bit above and @softcoder indicated he was following up with SETEC but I don't recall hearing any outcome.

Guess I had better not upgrade before the coming holidays as I'm traveling where there are no superchargers so I'll have to rely on the setec for power. Currently at 2021.36.8. In fact, I guess I had better run by a local (hour away) charger to make sure that it still works with this version.

After installing 2021.40, I just tried CCS at a nearby EA station and it failed, with the Tesla giving a status error of electric arc risk from the charger. Just a warning to those thinking about upgrading their Tesla firmware.
So Tesla is locking out competition so you have to buy their interface unit? And also maybe pay for new internal hardware to make their interface work (in older MS/MX)?

So Tesla is locking out competition so you have to buy their interface unit? And also maybe pay for new internal hardware to make their interface work (in older MS/MX)?
Not what I would call it. It sounds like they are locking out an unsafe adapter. We don't know if they would lockout the SETEC adapter if it properly followed the standard and locked the CCS cable when charging.

I’m hoping Tesla releases the official one here soon. The Setec Ccs adapter actually came in handy when I was in Pensacola last weekend. The only chademo plug at the EA station was down. Setec adapter saved the day. No supercharger exists in that town.
Same here. I'll be hosed if I can't use ccs this coming holiday because there simple are not any tesla super chargers in Eastern Oklahoma.

I’m hoping Tesla releases the official one here soon. The Setec Ccs adapter actually came in handy when I was in Pensacola last weekend. The only chademo plug at the EA station was down. Setec adapter saved the day. No supercharger exists in that town.
At least they are building one there next year.

Honestly, I worry about how crowded the little ea stations will get if there is a cheap adapter available.

Reactions: boulder.dude