Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT DO THIS

After discussions with @JWardell and @Ingineer, we were able to confirm that the tesla ccs adapter is entirely passthrough and just acts as a physical adapter, with no internal circuitry. The reason this works is because the newer cars have CCS communication capability built into the charge port ECU. If your car is older than (insert date I don't know here), this will just make your setec useless, because the car won't natively speak CCS.

Also: I added temperature sensors to ensure this safely disconnects the pilot if there is heat buildup. DO NOT DO THIS AT ALL, BUT IF YOU DO, DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNATTENDED!!

All of that said, I have now improved my Setec by gutting it and making it passthrough. My first test at a station worked fine, and looking forward to seeing if I can hit 150kw on my road trip, which begins tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• E5D51029-CA6C-42E5-B201-527D6338D4F4.jpg
    E5D51029-CA6C-42E5-B201-527D6338D4F4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,158
I have shared this info with Setec, I imagine passthrough could be an option if they are able to detect the CCS chipset, but also the question is 'what is the safest max current the current wiring can handle for pass through'. Anyways We will see.
Even if it's only the 200 amps it used to be limited to for the older S/X, that'd be of some use, I guess? 80 kW for CCS-speaking cars beats the Chademo-equivalent 45-50 kW it gets right now.

Reactions: kayak1 and ager01
I doubt it would work, as they likely don't have the hardware to talk to CCS either. (It requires different hardware than CHAdeMO.) CCS uses PLC (Power Line Communication).
Ya, I was actually just imagining bit banging it bidirectionally. There is so much potting crap on the board I have no real hope of seeing what makes it tick, but luckily I don’t really care anymore..

As I posted at Electrify America complimentary sessions (stations set..., EA was free again unannounced at least in Nor Cal on 12/9. I can confirm it was free at two different Bay Area sites. There were reports of it being free in Yuba City and San Jose from earlier in the day on Plugshare.

No idea if it is still now but if you have EA DC FCs nearby and your Setec CCS adapter works, check Plugshare and consider stopping by if you're low on juice. If it's free, the DC FC will show complimentary session on it.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT DO THIS

After discussions with @JWardell and @Ingineer, we were able to confirm that the tesla ccs adapter is entirely passthrough and just acts as a physical adapter, with no internal circuitry. The reason this works is because the newer cars have CCS communication capability built into the charge port ECU. If your car is older than (insert date I don't know here), this will just make your setec useless, because the car won't natively speak CCS.

Also: I added temperature sensors to ensure this safely disconnects the pilot if there is heat buildup. DO NOT DO THIS AT ALL, BUT IF YOU DO, DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNATTENDED!!

All of that said, I have now improved my Setec by gutting it and making it passthrough. My first test at a station worked fine, and looking forward to seeing if I can hit 150kw on my road trip, which begins tomorrow. :)
You should try Electrify America/Electrify Canada 500A chargers. 😈

You should try Electrify America/Electrify Canada 500A chargers. 😈
The Tesla firmware will cap out at 300A anyways since they are going to cap it at what their adapter caps at. On a 400V Model 3/Y that would be a theoretical maximum of 120 kW, and on a 450V 2021 Model S that would be 135 kW. And it will be slightly less than the theoretical cap because when at high SoC (when battery voltage is high) the charging curve is low, so the best rate will be at mid 50-60% SoC before the charging current drops below 300A but the battery voltage still isn't max. Probably about 118 kW for 3/Y and 131 kW for 2021 S/X.

I'd be very curious to know what the current limit the Setec wiring can handle is and if the temp sensor ever cuts out with 300A charging (since the Setec adapter itself is rated for only 200A, even though the prototype was seen charging at higher than that)

Reactions: Boeingpilot
The Tesla firmware will cap out at 300A anyways since they are going to cap it at what their adapter caps at. On a 400V Model 3/Y that would be a theoretical maximum of 120 kW, and on a 450V 2021 Model S that would be 135 kW. And it will be slightly less than the theoretical cap because when at high SoC (when battery voltage is high) the charging curve is low, so the best rate will be at mid 50-60% SoC before the charging current drops below 300A but the battery voltage still isn't max. Probably about 118 kW for 3/Y and 131 kW for 2021 S/X.

I'd be very curious to know what the current limit the Setec wiring can handle is and if the temp sensor ever cuts out with 300A charging (since the Setec adapter itself is rated for only 200A, even though the prototype was seen charging at higher than that)
Here's for the Model 3:
1%: ~300 V

10%: ~350V

15%: ~372V

20%: ~378V

25%: ~382V

30%: ~385V

35%: ~389V

40%: ~392V

45%: ~393V

50%: ~395V

55%: ~396V