Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp, get excited for Tesla’s adapter. I’m on a 2000 mile route that is almost all v2 superchargers, and the old 120kw supercharger in this town was also full, but meanwhile I’m just over here doing 200+kw at an empty EA station. Xoxo.

Attachments

• 399ACCA5-DCDE-4644-AF64-45BC03F740E6.jpeg
    399ACCA5-DCDE-4644-AF64-45BC03F740E6.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 830
Welp, get excited for Tesla’s adapter. I’m on a 2000 mile route that is almost all v2 superchargers, and the old 120kw supercharger in this town was also full, but meanwhile I’m just over here doing 200+kw at an empty EA station. Xoxo.
211kW using the CCS adapter? Wow!

That must be a 2021+ Model S/X because of the higher voltage. (Which is why the kW rate is so high.)

I find this very interesting because the article from drive Tesla Canada showing the Tesla ccs 1 adapter, given the SOC of the car, seemed to be current limited whereas this appears to take 500A which is at or near the limit of the 350 kW chargers IIRC. Hopefully we will know more soon, but the thought that I can get v2+ (180 kW for a M3) speeds in many areas that only have v2 SuCs is very exciting. It could be that early on you get better speeds and at better cost using EA 350 kW chargers that still do /min pricing vs a v2 SuC.

Reactions: Dave EV
500A !!!

Isn't the Setec only rated for 200A? I would be highly concerned about melting the adapter at those levels of current...

500A !!!

Isn't the Setec only rated for 200A? I would be highly concerned about melting the adapter at those levels of current...
I added temperature monitoring and a safety system to mine. No one should just hard wire theirs without doing so. It gets barely warm on the ccs side and slightly warm on the Tesla side. The short cables are rated high enough to handle this.

I mean here’s another compelling reason for me, while it lastsView attachment 742939View attachment 742940
Likely Tesla hasn't capped the 2021 Model S firmware CCS current to 300A since the 2021 S isn't in Korea yet. This might be one reason they havn't released it here so far, and possibly also why the Korean site warns against using it on >300A chargers even though it works fine on Model 3/Y over there (I.E. if someone imported a grey market North American 2021 S that doesn't have the limit yet).

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Wondering if they will be offering an early S refit kit.
Maybe since they did it in Europe.

Google cache of that page: Supercharging

> I have a Model S or Model X produced before May 1, 2019. Can I take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging?
> Yes. Schedule a simple service retrofit in order to take advantage of CCS Combo 2 charging via the Tesla CCS Combo 2 adapter.