Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What software did you use to create that graph?
That's TeslaMate: GitHub - adriankumpf/teslamate: A self-hosted data logger for your Tesla 🚘

It's a self-hosted web application. Pretty trivial to set up for someone with some linux experience, but definitely a techie kind of thing. It polls your car data via the Tesla API and provides graphs (via a different package called grafana) of all your trips and charges and lots of aggregate analysis. Great stuff, definitely recommended.

I swear I remember someone trying to bring a passive Tesla->CCS1 adapter onto the market here, made in Russia or someplace similar...working on the assumption that all newer cars would have the right computer. Then after testing that assumption, took it off the market because it didn't work.

Anyone else remember that, or am I crazy? Because if that actually happened, wouldn't this be a good time to try and bring it back to the market, as it's much more likely to work now?

I can't seem to find any reference anymore, thus the assumption that I dreamed it up.

So to summarize,

1. @JWardell has shown that Tesla’s CCS adapter, currently distributed in S. Korea, is simple pass through and requires an updated and enabled charge port ECU to handle protocol conversion.

1. @rhuber has gutted his Setec adapter, effectively cloning the Tesla adapter, albeit in clunky Setec packaging, and has been successfully CCS charging his Plaid. Which implies that US Plaids have the required and enabled charge port ECU.

So, is it true that the Tesla CCS adapter will work today in Plaids in the US? Is it simply an issue of distribution?

As well, does anyone know whether and when Tesla has cut over to the new ECU in the US, and in which models?

So to summarize,

1. @JWardell has shown that Tesla’s CCS adapter, currently distributed in S. Korea, is simple pass through and requires an updated and enabled charge port ECU to handle protocol conversion.

1. @rhuber has gutted his Setec adapter, effectively cloning the Tesla adapter, albeit in clunky Setec packaging, and has been successfully CCS charging his Plaid. Which implies that US Plaids have the required and enabled charge port ECU.

So, is it true that the Tesla CCS adapter will work today in Plaids in the US? Is it simply an issue of distribution?

As well, does anyone know whether and when Tesla has cut over to the new ECU in the US, and in which models?

Seems 3/Y production cut over at some ambiguous point in late 2020.

Reactions: ager01 and sdmack
Attempted a charge on this Chargepoint station in Ellijay, GA today with no luck.

Procedure:
Plugged charger into adapter, adapter into car, powered on adapter.... car immediately threw a charging error and the station said charge fault or something along those lines.
Setec FW: v161-1
Car FW: 2021.40.6

IIRC, I read that Tesla is blocking older Setec FW's so I was very skeptical it would work anyway. Going to flash 164-1, I guess?

Edit: Reading some of the posts about making Setec's adapter a passthrough like Tesla's made me wonder if Tesla will ever offer a charge port control unit upgrade that will give us older Model S/X owners CCS passthrough compatibility? That way the Tesla adapter will work for us...

Last edited:
Edit: Reading some of the posts about making Setec's adapter a passthrough like Tesla's made me wonder if Tesla will ever offer a charge port control unit upgrade that will give us older Model S/X owners CCS passthrough compatibility? That way the Tesla adapter will work for us...
Hopefully. They did in Europe, and apparently it's both a fairly cheap part and a relatively fast swap. OTOH, they transitioned more fully to CCS in Europe than they seem to be aiming for in the US right now.

Attempted a charge on this Chargepoint station in Ellijay, GA today with no luck.

Procedure:
Plugged charger into adapter, adapter into car, powered on adapter.... car immediately threw a charging error and the station said charge fault or something along those lines.
Setec FW: v161-1
Car FW: 2021.40.6

IIRC, I read that Tesla is blocking older Setec FW's so I was very skeptical it would work anyway. Going to flash 164-1, I guess?

You need newer firmware than 161-1 setec's site (as well as here on the forums) there is 164-1 CCS Adapter Firmware Update - SETEC POWER

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and ager01
How can I tell if my Model Y, delivered late October 2020, has the hardware required to support Tesla’s adapter?
There are indications that you might have the right hardware; if so it would be indicated on the sw page provided you have 2021.40.6

Reference Tesla CCS adapter activated in North America with 2021.40.6 software update

“Not every Tesla owner will be able to use it though. In another recent software update, Tesla added information to show if your vehicle has the required hardware for the adapter to work with your car.

So far it appears that late 2019 or early 2020 built cars will be able to support the CCS adapter.”

I agree it is super confusing, lots of components and variables - model, build date, geo location, firmware. Good luck. I am in the same boat in a sea of misinformation.

Reactions: Araman0
How can I tell if my Model Y, delivered late October 2020, has the hardware required to support Tesla’s adapter?
My model 3 was delivered Oct 2020 and once the software update was loaded (recently), I can confirm it's there under "additional vehicle info". But you have to have the correct software update (2021.40.6)
There's a video (I think on this forum) showing how to add the hardware if your car doesn't have it. I wouldn't try it but it looks pretty simple.

Reactions: Araman0