Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried charging on a ChargePoint 50 KW charger. It acted like it wanted to charge, but the car would not get past start charging. The charger had the correct battery level for the car, so it’s communicating.

Do you think I should try 164 firmware?

I guess I should’ve stayed on the older Tesla software

While I am still on ancient software (don't know why) with a 2018 car I am unlikely to have the new charge controller. I sold my CHAdeMO adapter before learning that. So, anybody have a line on what Tesla plans to do for us if the CdM is discontinued, the CCS won't work and they keep disabling the Setec? Just SOL? Or will they offer a replacement of the charge controller board at a price less than the Setec? (It will be better than the Setec of course, smaller, simpler, less likely to stress the connector and most of all, supported.)

So, anybody have a line on what Tesla plans to do for us if the CdM is discontinued, the CCS won't work and they keep disabling the Setec? Just SOL? Or will they offer a replacement of the charge controller board at a price less than the Setec? (It will be better than the Setec of course, smaller, simpler, less likely to stress the connector and most of all, supported.)
Discussion of Tesla's adapter, as opposed to the Setec one, is more appropriate in the threads relevant to that product. See this thread, starting where linked for a discussion on what's likely to happen with older cars that can't use their CCS adapter natively.

I just tried charging on a ChargePoint 50 KW charger. It acted like it wanted to charge, but the car would not get past start charging. The charger had the correct battery level for the car, so it’s communicating.

Do you think I should try 164 firmware?

I guess I should’ve stayed on the older Tesla software
I’ve using the adapter for a while and never had problem and after update to 164-1 I had the the same situation in three different charges.

1st one from EVolve NY at Malone NY charger
Malone: Franklin County Courthouse
355 W Main St, Malone, NY 12953, USA
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

2nd from ChargePOINT 25 kw at Canton NY
Village of Canton - Municipal Parking
18 Hodskin St, Canton, NY 13617, USA
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

3rd from charge point 62kw at Rochester NY that is at company location

This last one end up working in the next.

I don’t a have a windows laptop that I can use catch logs.

I'm on 164-1, however, the ChargePoint 50kw that I previously used will not work since the car updated to 2021.44.5. Has anyone had any success with the Setec adapter with 2021.44.5?

My symptoms are that the car and the charger connect, I can see the SOC of the car on the charger, but the car says charging to charge and never progresses past that point. There are no errors on the car or the charger.

To add to some more data points with my Bolt over this free charging on Electrify America during the long weekend, I personally successfully charged my Bolt fine on EA on all of these sites: two BTC Power sites (one I've used numerous times before) several times, 1 Signet site (used several times before) twice, two different ABB sites in an area I've never been to before. And sure, at a few sites, I did encounter problem equipment such as broken tang on 1 CCS handle, another seemed powered off (green accent lights on but screen off and didn't start charging), error when starting to charge on one handle but I was always able to find another handle or unit at the site that worked.

So, I covered EA chargers from 3 of their 4 vendors yet again. None of the sites were busy. Only at 1 site was there a Kona EV charging.

I also used a free ChargePoint CPE 100 (made by IES).
To add some more data points, I just returned from a roadtrip where I drove my Bolt bit over 1000 miles.

Most of my CCS DC FCing was on free BTC Fatboy chargers listed at New Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers Now Available Along State Highways in Central California | Caltrans along highway 99. I've never used nor seen any of those Caltrans DC FCs before this road trip. I also charged on a ChargePoint CPE 200 at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (ended up being free) + EA ABB chargers in two different locations (used one of those locations before and the other, never visited before) + EA BTC Power (never been to that location before).

At one location w/ABB, as I walked into the Walmart to use its restroom, I stumbled across Bolt driver mucking w/the the credit card reader and having problems. I told them don't use it. They suck and EA knows they're a problem. They had no idea and they then noticed their CC reader said network error. Ha! After I had them use the app, charging tried to start then failed immediately, even though I was helping them support the handle. They were like.... that's ok, we figured we'd charge since we got here.

When I came out, I noticed the above Bolt occupants weren't around and they left the car plugged in w/the failed session. It was past 10 minutes so it's possible they got hit w/EA's idle fees. I unplugged them to stop the idle fees (if they started) but was in a hurry to leave so I wasn't able to leave a note. I had over 250 miles of driving left.

At one EA site (with 8+ chargers), I noticed the lone unit w/a CHAdeMO handle was stuck booting on a text screen (for Linux?). And, the unit I was using had major touchscreen lag and the hardware buttons under the softkeys on the screen didn't really help. I gave up in stopping the session via the screen/hardware buttons and pressed stop on my Bolt's infotainment system.

Although there were definitely some broken Caltrans chargers (and reports of them on Plugshare), I was always able to charge my Bolt fine at each of the sites I went to.

Last edited:
To add some more data points, I just returned from a roadtrip where I drove my Bolt bit over 1000 miles.

Most of my CCS DC FCing was on free BTC Fatboy chargers listed at New Electric Vehicle Fast Chargers Now Available Along State Highways in Central California | Caltrans along highway 99. I've never used nor seen any of those Caltrans DC FCs before this road trip. I also charged on a ChargePoint CPE 200 at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You (ended up being free) + EA ABB chargers in two different locations (used one of those locations before and the other, never visited before) + EA BTC Power (never been to that location before).

At one location w/ABB, as I walked into the Walmart to use its restroom, I stumbled across Bolt driver mucking w/the the credit card reader and having problems. I told them don't use it. They suck and EA knows they're a problem. They had no idea and they then noticed their CC reader said network error. Ha! After I had them use the app, charging tried to start then failed immediately, even though I was helping them support the handle. They were like.... that's ok, we figured we'd charge since we got here.

When I came out, I noticed the above Bolt occupants weren't around and they left the car plugged in w/the failed session. It was past 10 minutes so it's possible they got hit w/EA's idle fees. I unplugged them to stop the idle fees (if they started) but was in a hurry to leave so I wasn't able to leave a note. I had over 250 miles of driving left.

At one EA site (with 8+ chargers), I noticed the lone unit w/a CHAdeMO handle was stuck booting on a text screen (for Linux?). And, the unit I was using had major touchscreen lag and the hardware buttons under the softkeys on the screen didn't really help. I gave up in stopping the session via the screen/hardware buttons and pressed stop on my Bolt's infotainment system.

Although there were definitely some broken Caltrans chargers (and reports of them on Plugshare), I was always able to charge my Bolt fine at each of the sites I went to.
Hi. good morning!

I'm about to start a 3,000 miles trip from CT to Memphis TN, New Orleans, Florida Panhandle and back to CT. I'll come across many EA charges and I'd like to know how I can identify if the charger is offering free "Complementary Session". Can I see before start charging or only at the end of the session?

Thanks

Hi. good morning!

I'm about to start a 3,000 miles trip from CT to Memphis TN, New Orleans, Florida Panhandle and back to CT. I'll come across many EA charges and I'd like to know how I can identify if the charger is offering free "Complementary Session". Can I see before start charging or only at the end of the session?

Thanks
I found this info at the Chevybolt forum:

"BTW, if you do NOT see "complimentary session" on the screen, you will likely NOT get free juice. If it does, just plug in and follow the prompts. Do NOT use your credit card, phone, EA app, etc."

Is this the way to spot the free chargers?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
I found this info at the Chevybolt forum:

"BTW, if you do NOT see "complimentary session" on the screen, you will likely NOT get free juice. If it does, just plug in and follow the prompts. Do NOT use your credit card, phone, EA app, etc."

Is this the way to spot the free chargers?

Thanks,
That is correct. It will say "complimentary session" if it's free.

Reactions: Edulmartins
Hi. good morning!

Thanks
Maybe check EA's website?
This is a Tesla forum so I assume you will be driving a Tesla? If so, I would avoid EA chargers and just use superchargers. Yeah, not free, but reliable and faster than EA with an adapter.
It's ok if you're not driving a Tesla (any EV is good) but you might get better answers if you ask on other forums

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Maybe check EA's website?
This is a Tesla forum so I assume you will be driving a Tesla? If so, I would avoid EA chargers and just use superchargers. Yeah, not free, but reliable and faster than EA with an adapter.
It's ok if you're not driving a Tesla (any EV is good) but you might get better answers if you ask on other forums
I really didn’t understand what is the point of your comment because this tread is about a Tesla CCS adapter what I have and I already commented here about it. For sure I’ll use Tesla superchargers in my trip but for some reason I come across to a EA free charger. Why not?

I tested the Setec adapter firmware on a newly installed 50 kW Flo AddEnergie charger at Canadian Tire South Edmonton Common.
Setec firmware 164-1
Tesla firmware 2021.44.6
Model 3 LR Dual Motor

The first try the car said charging was starting (no KW reading) and the charging station screen showed that it was initializing but never got anywhere. The charger had neither the start nor stop button lit and I could not manually stop the charge from the charger, nor the Setec button (and the car never has a stop charging button on the screen for CCS or CHAdeMO). I had to disconnect the CCS connector from the Setec CCS end to stop charging.

I tried the same charging station a second time, and it worked just fine. Not sure if it was a one off weird event on the charger end - it was a new charger that may have been one that the 164-1 firmware was intended to fix as it was a newly installed Flo charger. The nameplate on the charger was removed so I could not tell if it was a new rev of the AddEnergie 50 kW or not.