Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a data point -- in addition to the issues I had a chargepoint 50kw, tried a EA (EVOLVENY) 150kw yesterday. Got isolation test time out twice. Have v164 installed. Didn't have time to switch to 164-1 to see if it works. Sigh, was almost a stable device....

At this point I'm ready to bite the bullet and hope that Tesla does an upgrade kit for earlier (pre-facelift) cars for CCS.

Yesterday proved the point that you have to have a backup. Was going to work and planned to use the newly refreshed SC at JFK airport. Got there with 16%. Well, SCs were not working. (Two other cars there had their sessions stopped, and couldn't get them to work again either). Can't leave the car for a week at the airport at 16%, so trucked over to the EVOLVENy station, and after the Setec didn't work used the provided Chademo adapter. Yea, it took a while to charge, but better than leaving the car near dead at the airport in cold weather.

Yesterday proved the point that you have to have a backup.
Or three.

I reached 'Plan C' once, due to a strong headwind

Plan 'A' was to drive to a Supercharger
Plan 'B' was to drive slower to reach the Supercharger
Plan 'C' was to stop at an RV place sort of en-route for a couple of hours
Plan 'D' was to turn around to get more juice from my origin place and spend the night

I enjoy the adventure, but I definitely plan for contingencies.

I’ll charge overnight and try again tomorrow. Sometime ago I asked here about the need to keep it charged using the USB port when the adapter has been in use regularly and the answer that was necessary.

Maybe I drained the battery because I used 7 times the last three days.

Thanks again for tip.

I charged the adapter using the USB port but today again I wasn’t able to charge using the adapter due the button on the adapter not lighting up and not activating the latch in the Tesla charge port to lock.

Is there a way to test if the adapter still working?

Trying the new Mac update tool. The executable file "mac_updata_tool" included in the zip file would not open correctly in terminal on my 2015 MacBook Air (Monterrey). "permission denied". Had to dust off my Linux Fu and issue sudo chmod 755 mac_updata_tool, then it worked except the USB cable didn't ("2021-12-30 15:52:50.844 mac_updata_tool[64187:4620999] try start....." instead of "<<<<<: "(null)" {length = 4, bytes = 0x010401e3} 2021-12-30 15:55:38.237 mac_updata_tool[64246:4621872] downing...... 99 %" plus it didn't list any USB serial ports from which to choose, so after trying 6 cables, success!!

Successful charge session at the Electrify America station in Mt Pleasant TX today.

9/2021 MYLR with 2921.44.25.2 software update.
Setec with 164-1 firmware.
1. Locate charge station in EA app
2. Plug CCS plug into setec
3. Plug setec into tesla
4. Swipe to start charge in EA app.
5. Press button on setec
6. Wait for everything to initiate and charging begins.
20211230_135934.jpg
20211230_140000.jpg
20211230_140009.jpg
20211230_140121_capture.jpg

New Success datapoint.
Canadian Driver in NS, originally attempted to use device with recommended 164-1 version; absolutely nothing worked. Constantly got pilot isolation test failed errors on every charger.

Swapped to the 164 version, and suddenly I can charge in all local chargers!
Most are Flo chargers here, I haven't attempted with the Petro Can chargers yet but that will be a test I'll run today.

Really helped me out in a pinch on a family trip last night, would have totally left myself stranded if it didn't work, we crossed our fingers and it worked perfectly the first time!

Attachments

• charging capability.png
    charging capability.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 84
New Success datapoint.
Canadian Driver in NS, originally attempted to use device with recommended 164-1 version; absolutely nothing worked. Constantly got pilot isolation test failed errors on every charger.

Swapped to the 164 version, and suddenly I can charge in all local chargers!
Most are Flo chargers here, I haven't attempted with the Petro Can chargers yet but that will be a test I'll run today.

Really helped me out in a pinch on a family trip last night, would have totally left myself stranded if it didn't work, we crossed our fingers and it worked perfectly the first time!
Forgot to mention:
2021 MYP with 2021.44.25.2.
Using v164 of SETEC firmware

Turned on SETEC power with single press.
Disconnected CCS adapter from holster, and plugged it into SETEC adapter.
Connected SETEC adapter to Tesla charger.
Activated session using phone app.
Pairing was successful and charging went up to almost touching rated max of 50kw, initially charged at 38 (probably battery was cold).

Reactions: wildguess
Another 164-1 firmware datapoint: 2018 Model 3 LR AWD, battery SoC 19%, 2021.44.25.2, EA installation Tucker, GA. (350 kW station). Followed the standard protocol: plug Setec into CCS cable, plug Setec + CCS cable into car, push button on Setec, swipe EA app.

Worked first try. 43 kW on the EA display, 34 kW on the car display. I updated the Setec firmware using the Mac update tool prior to my attempt at charging (see my earlier post).

I understand Tesla's safety-related position on this adapter (and I'll probably buy Tesla's adapter once released...if my car can be updated). For me, the Setec fills the gaps in the SC network, and for me, it is necessary. I take many road trips in my EV, sometimes pulling a camper trailer, thus shortening the range and thus requiring more DC fast charging access. The DCFC networks continue to expand, and giving my car access to non-Tesla DC fast charging allows me greater access to areas where I may wish to camp.

Reactions: MSHampton
Successful charge session at the Electrify America station in Mt Pleasant TX today.

9/2021 MYLR with 2921.44.25.2 software update.
Setec with 164-1 firmware.
1. Locate charge station in EA app
2. Plug CCS plug into setec
3. Plug setec into tesla
4. Swipe to start charge in EA app.
5. Press button on setec
6. Wait for everything to initiate and charging begins.View attachment 750205View attachment 750206View attachment 750207
Why did you swipe the app? It should've free been that day.

And, you got a free charge. Whenever it says complimentary session in blue on the charger, on native CCS cars, you just plug in. It'll eventually start by itself. I sucked down probably 200+ kWh of free juice during their free period w/my Bolt. IIRC, most of my free EA charging on my Bolt was on BTC Power and Signet. There might've been some ABB in there.

On Sunday, I DC FCed my Bolt at several locations and on that day alone I recall these vehicles using EA DC FCs:
- 2 Volvo XC40
- 2 Bolts
- 1 ID.4
- 1 Rivian pickup - I saw him at 41% SoC pulling 150 kW. Chargers there are 150 kW max.
- 1 Mach-E
- 1 gen 1 Leaf using J1772 (the station with CHAdeMO at that site has been broken for many days, says unavailable on the screen for both plugs and shows up as unavailable in the EA app)

I can't speak to whether everyone above had any trouble but I did witness 1 Bolt and 1 Mach-E successully start the first time. I don't recall any having trouble starting any of my sessions that day. I just plugged into my Bolt and it started, eventually. A bunch of my sessions were at sites I'd never been to before.

Another 164-1 firmware datapoint: 2018 Model 3 LR AWD, battery SoC 19%, 2021.44.25.2, EA installation Tucker, GA. (350 kW station). Followed the standard protocol: plug Setec into CCS cable, plug Setec + CCS cable into car, push button on Setec, swipe EA app.

Worked first try. 43 kW on the EA display, 34 kW on the car display. I updated the Setec firmware using the Mac update tool prior to my attempt at charging (see my earlier post).
What day was that? Again, if it says complimentary session, you don't need to use their app, credit card or anything. Just plug in and go (on native CCS cars).

Free EA charging should be over now. Ended at 1/3/22 3 am Eastern time.

Last edited:
Why did you swipe the app? It should've free been that day.

And, you got a free charge. Whenever it says complimentary session in blue on the charger, on native CCS cars, you just plug in. It'll eventually start by itself. I sucked down probably 200+ kWh of free juice during their free period w/my Bolt. IIRC, most of my free EA charging on my Bolt was on BTC Power and Signet. There might've been some ABB in there.

On Sunday, I DC FCed my Bolt at several locations and on that day alone I recall these vehicles using EA DC FCs:
- 2 Volvo XC40
- 2 Bolts
- 1 ID.4
- 1 Rivian pickup - I saw him at 41% SoC pulling 150 kW. Chargers there are 150 kW max.
- 1 Mach-E
- 1 gen 1 Leaf using J1772 (the station with CHAdeMO at that site has been broken for many days, says unavailable on the screen for both plugs and shows up as unavailable in the EA app)

I can't speak to whether everyone above had any trouble but I did witness 1 Bolt and 1 Mach-E successully start the first time. I don't recall any having trouble starting any of my sessions that day. I just plugged into my Bolt and it started, eventually. A bunch of my sessions were at sites I'd never been to before.

What day was that? Again, if it says complimentary session, you don't need to use their app, credit card or anything. Just plug in and go (on native CCS cars).

Free EA charging should be over now. Ended at 1/3/22 3 am Eastern time.
Yes, it was a free charge, I swipped the app to initiate the charging. It started the charging cycle but did not charge my credit card.

Reactions: kayak1
Yes, it was a free charge, I swipped the app to initiate the charging. It started the charging cycle but did not charge my credit card.
As I said, whenever the stations have shown complimentary session on them (which applies for both the announced and unannounced free periods), I've never ever used EA's app to start a session. It's not needed and I wouldn't want to risk being charged $ anyway, then having to call/email to get it reversed.

I've just plugged in my Bolt and it'll eventually start. Besides the initializing/connecting phase, there will usually be a "welcome, free!" or "welcome, driver!" screen telling me the charge is free and sometimes, an optional screen to get a receipt via SMS which I usually skip/say no to. If you just wait long enough, it'll automatically skip past these screens.

I've DC FCed maybe 2+ dozen times during this latest free period since there are EA stations near home and near where I frequent (e.g. grab food and then charge while I eat in my car) besides my two day trips.

I didn't see anything on the display about "free" or "complimentary", and at the time (12/31/21) I wasn't aware of the free juice until after I charged. My EA account never showed the session, even now. But, hey, free juice! Yay!

Reactions: cwerdna
I didn't see anything on the display about "free" or "complimentary", and at the time (12/31/21) I wasn't aware of the free juice until after I charged. My EA account never showed the session, even now. But, hey, free juice! Yay!
Whenever it's free, it will show "complimentary session" on the display before you plug in.

During some free periods where it was over their entire network not just certain stations/regions, some stations didn't get correctly flipped over to that state. I've seen reports of that. I think in some cases, people called EA and that got fixed.

I'd been posting about the free EA juice thru Jan 2nd at places like https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/e...stations-set-to-free.37983/page-6#post-679995 and Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter and CHAdeMO Charging the Model 3.

Free juice should be over now, but this a word of warning to anyone in NY:

Last edited:
Reactions: sTv0
Forgot to mention:
2021 MYP with 2021.44.25.2.
Using v164 of SETEC firmware

Turned on SETEC power with single press.
Disconnected CCS adapter from holster, and plugged it into SETEC adapter.
Connected SETEC adapter to Tesla charger.
Activated session using phone app.
Pairing was successful and charging went up to almost touching rated max of 50kw, initially charged at 38 (probably battery was cold).
I have detected that only more recent FLO Chargers work with 164, older Chargers continue to fail with pilot error.

I've also tested with Petro Can and have consistently had communication timeout errors.

Trying the new Mac update tool. The executable file "mac_updata_tool" included in the zip file would not open correctly in terminal on my 2015 MacBook Air (Monterrey). "permission denied". Had to dust off my Linux Fu and issue sudo chmod 755 mac_updata_tool, then it worked except the USB cable didn't ("2021-12-30 15:52:50.844 mac_updata_tool[64187:4620999] try start....." instead of "<<<<<: "(null)" {length = 4, bytes = 0x010401e3} 2021-12-30 15:55:38.237 mac_updata_tool[64246:4621872] downing...... 99 %" plus it didn't list any USB serial ports from which to choose, so after trying 6 cables, success!!
i had same issue - goto security settings and allow the non App Store software permission to open and that moves you to the next steps

I bought one and it arrived Thursday. It doesn’t work without rather difficult modifications. They appear to just tie PP to PE with a resistor, and the car is not cool with this fakeout, at least in the newest ECU. They don’t pass through the PP pin, so I added it with a very invasive mod and got it to work.

My recommendation is: Don’t buy this. If you absolutely must have ccs before the Tesla adapter ships, or your car is older, buy the setec and deal with it being 50kW.

@rhuber, could you share (it can be in a private message) more info about the modification you've done on the EVHUB CCS adapter?
(I tried messaging you directly on the forum but it wouldn't allow me)

Here in Brazil we have imported US cars, but the infrastructure is made entirely of CCS2 chargers. We need something like this adapter to be able to DC Charge Teslas on any longer trips.

Of the 3 people who have the 2021 Model S Plaid here, none of them could successfully charge on CHAdeMO. It looks like the CHAdeMO adapter really doesn't work on the new Plaid, and CCS is the only remaining option for them.

Today we tried that EVHUB US to CCS passive adapter on a 2021 Model S Plaid (with updated firmware, and with the "CCS Adapter Supporte: Enabled" on vehicle information) and it didn't work. We are still trying to find a solution.