Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe north American cars (even with passthrough) wont work with CCS2 as it requires a different chip (not 100% sure if the new CCS1 chip also supports ccs2). I know if Europe cars had to be retrofitted with new hardware and it cost around a thousands dollars if I recall correctly.
The only difference between CCS1 and CCS2 is the connector. The protocol is the same.

I believe north American cars (even with passthrough) wont work with CCS2 as it requires a different chip (not 100% sure if the new CCS1 chip also supports ccs2). I know if Europe cars had to be retrofitted with new hardware and it cost around a thousands dollars if I recall correctly.
The specific issue with that EVHub adapter is there is a pin that they didn't passthrough properly (they faked it with a resistor), nothing to do with the protocol itself. That hack worked with a Model S/X that had the later EU controller, but doesn't work with any Model 3/Y.

The Tesla official CCS2 adapter cost 500 Euros with retrofit when it launched, later lowered to 299. The European Model 3/Y never came with any port other than CCS2.
Tesla slashes price of CCS retrofit for Model S and Model X

Reactions: Rocky_H and kayak1
As far as I know, CCS1 and CCS2 are electrically the same. There is just a difference in the mechanical connector.

Reactions: Jeff N
Hi. I wasn’t able to change using adapter this evening due the button on the adapter not lighting up and not activating the latch in the Tesla charge port to lock. Did anyone experienced this behavior before?

Until yesterday was able to charged 7 times in the last three days.

Thanks.

I’ll charge overnight and try again tomorrow. Sometime ago I asked here about the need to keep it charged using the USB port when the adapter has been in use regularly and the answer that was necessary.

Maybe I drained the battery because I used 7 times the last three days.

Thanks again for tip.

Hi. Last December I did a road trip from CT to Florida and I was using the the adapter at EA charger without any problem and as I reported back them the adapter stop working. Long story short I gave up during the trip and only try to charge again this week and the problem persists.

Before try to charge again I updated the firmware again wo 164-1 with sucess and left the adapter charging overnight.

I'd like to ask help of the folks that has conctacts with SETEC if they can help figure out what is happening?

Thanks

Hi. Last December I did a road trip from CT to Florida and I was using the the adapter at EA charger without any problem and as I reported back them the adapter stop working. Long story short I gave up during the trip and only try to charge again this week and the problem persists.

Before try to charge again I updated the firmware again wo 164-1 with sucess and left the adapter charging overnight.

I'd like to ask help of the folks that has conctacts with SETEC if they can help figure out what is happening?

Thanks
The only way to help is to capture logs on a station that is not working as previously discussed in this thread.

The only way to help is to capture logs on a station that is not working as previously discussed in this thread.

Today I charged the adapter using the USB port for one hour and after I was able to charge with the laptop connected and led was on the latch lock was always did in the past charging normally.

Then I decide to do a test and disconnect the usb cable from the computer and charge stoped and latch unlocked and the problem was back again.

I believe the problem is on the battery of the adapter that is not holding charge. Tomorrow I try to use a power bank connected to see.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Rocky_H
Thanks for this thread. I’m trying to catch up and I have a few questions:
  1. Seems like a low battery in the Setec adapter triggers failures, and I keep reading suggestions to connect it to a USB power bank. Why not run a long USB cable from the Tesla USB ports to the Setec? Even at a low SoC, the Tesla’s battery should beat any USB power bank.
  2. Is there a place (spreadsheet, wiki, etc.) where people are collecting CCS chargers that work with Setec? I realize there are numerous variables including manufacturer, network and Setec firmware; a reference would be very helpful.
Apologies if I’m reopening topics that have been already discussed many pages ago.

Thanks for this thread. I’m trying to catch up and I have a few questions:
  1. Seems like a low battery in the Setec adapter triggers failures, and I keep reading suggestions to connect it to a USB power bank. Why not run a long USB cable from the Tesla USB ports to the Setec? Even at a low SoC, the Tesla’s battery should beat any USB power bank.
If it uses a li-ion battery, it's generally a bad idea to keep it plugged in all the time and charged fully, just like it is bad for an EV. This is a easy way to degrade the internal battery rapidly. If it uses nimh however that's a different case.

I don't have one, and couldn't find manual for it, but my understanding is Setec doesn't make any recommendation to regularly charge it. Only to do so if you haven't been using it for a while. So presumably it gets charged during use. If that's the case, pressing you regularly use it, it shouldn't need charging from USB.

Of course if someone has a link to the manual, please post it and it would be possible to see officially what Setec recommends.

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner
If it uses a li-ion battery, it's generally a bad idea to keep it plugged in all the time and charged fully, just like it is bad for an EV. This is a easy way to degrade the internal battery rapidly. If it uses nimh however that's a different case.

I don't have one, and couldn't find manual for it, but my understanding is Setec doesn't make any recommendation to regularly charge it. Only to do so if you haven't been using it for a while. So presumably it gets charged during use. If that's the case, pressing you regularly use it, it shouldn't need charging from USB.

Of course if someone has a link to the manual, please post it and it would be possible to see officially what Setec recommends.
Of course, don’t plug it in all the time. But if power is needed, why not just connect it to the car’s USB outlet?

My new setup!!! Unfortunately my adapter only works with a USB power source!!!

Im using a power bank because it didn’t lighted up connecting at usb plug in in the back and also help if want to left the car and lock. Just need to hope that anyone steal it!!!

Im also in contact with SETEC and request a video showing my problem and I didn’t have a chance to do it yet.

Thanks.

2808CBDC-CF02-4232-A1EF-B02BEC4D6DC4.jpeg

I tried charing at Volta at 164-1 with no luck. anyone can explain?
I also tried to roll back to 164 with "mac_updata_tool" but didn't work and this is what I got.
<<<<<: " 0: qca7000 OK

" {length = 19, bytes = 0x20202020303a2071636137303030204f4b0d0a}

<<<<<: " 0: boot success

" {length = 22, bytes = 0x20202020303a20626f6f742073756363657373200d0a}

<<<<<: " 0: PLC Type: " {length = 17, bytes = 0x20202020303a20504c4320547970653a20}

<<<<<: "EV Type

" {length = 9, bytes = 0x455620547970650d0a}

" {length = 32, bytes = 0x20203130 363a2046 69726d77 61726520 ... 31363420 2d20310d }

<<<<<: "

" {length = 1, bytes = 0x0a}

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT DO THIS

After discussions with @JWardell and @Ingineer, we were able to confirm that the tesla ccs adapter is entirely passthrough and just acts as a physical adapter, with no internal circuitry. The reason this works is because the newer cars have CCS communication capability built into the charge port ECU. If your car is older than (insert date I don't know here), this will just make your setec useless, because the car won't natively speak CCS.

Also: I added temperature sensors to ensure this safely disconnects the pilot if there is heat buildup. DO NOT DO THIS AT ALL, BUT IF YOU DO, DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNATTENDED!!

All of that said, I have now improved my Setec by gutting it and making it passthrough. My first test at a station worked fine, and looking forward to seeing if I can hit 150kw on my road trip, which begins tomorrow. :)

@rhuber,

I'd like your help because my SETEC adaptor it is officially dead, first something happned with the internal power source that was not lighting up the led and lock to the charge port and them a start to an usb power bank as power source but it didn't last long and it is not working anymore to the point that the computer doesn't reconize it anymore and can't update the firmware.

My new setup!!! Unfortunately my adapter only works with a USB power source!!!

Im using a power bank because it didn’t lighted up connecting at usb plug in in the back and also help if want to left the car and lock. Just need to hope that anyone steal it!!!

Im also in contact with SETEC and request a video showing my problem and I didn’t have a chance to do it yet.

Thanks.

View attachment 761851

So, now because it became a useless brick I'd like to do the same thing that you did with yours. Could you give the details about the thermoprotection that you included and wiring.

Thanks,

Eduardo

rhuber,

I'd like your help because my SETEC adaptor it is officially dead, first something happned with the internal power source that was not lighting up the led and lock to the charge port and them a start to an usb power bank as power source but it didn't last long and it is not working anymore to the point that the computer doesn't reconize it anymore and can't update the firmware.

So, now because it became a useless brick I'd like to do the same thing that you did with yours. Could you give the details about the thermoprotection that you included and wiring.

Thanks,

Eduardo
Before going down that rabbit hole, I would first check if the car supports it in the first place.
You can check under Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information and the "CCS adapter support" field.

Is Setec not offering a replacement under warranty?

Before going down that rabbit hole, I would first check if the car supports it in the first place.
You can check under Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information and the "CCS adapter support" field.

Is Setec not offering a replacement under warranty?

I just checked and my model Y 2021 has "CCS adapter support" enabled.

Talking about the warranty I bought this adapater second hand from ebay and I don't have the invoice of it but i'm talking in pararell with SETEC to see what they can do about it but I'm preparing for the worst case scenario.

Last edited:
I just checked and my model Y 2021 has "CCS adapter support" enabled.

Talking about the warranty I bought this adapater second hand from ebay and I don't have the invoice of it but i'm talking in pararell with SETEC to see what they can do about it but I'm preparing for the worst case scenario.
I mentioned somewhere in this enormous thread, but I’ve stopped using the modified one entirely and do not recommend you try. My temperature monitoring showed a trend toward higher temps that was pronounced enough to tell me that something inside of the Tesla end of the setec was breaking down at high amperage and would eventually fail, potentially catastrophically. If it was possible to command the car to charge more slowly, it could be made safer, but as a dumb device, it cannot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’d def pursue warranty and not consider modifying like my test, as it will not last.

I mentioned somewhere in this enormous thread, but I’ve stopped using the modified one entirely and do not recommend you try. My temperature monitoring showed a trend toward higher temps that was pronounced enough to tell me that something inside of the Tesla end of the setec was breaking down at high amperage and would eventually fail, potentially catastrophically. If it was possible to command the car to charge more slowly, it could be made safer, but as a dumb device, it cannot.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I’d def pursue warranty and not consider modifying like my test, as it will not last.

Thanks for the honest feedback.

My main use for this adapter is for 50kw ChargePoint charges that my company installed in many offices that I travel through.

Do you think that the high temps that you experienced was because the 150+ kw charges or it happens with any level of charger?

Did you able to put the adapter back together?

Thanks.

@rhuber,

Thanks,

Eduardo
I believe Setec will send a replacement, My first adapter was faulty and they sent a free new one. I would contact them first!