Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You say "should the need arise." Has it actually arisen? How often?
One of the surprising things I learned when I put in 120v 20a charging (slightly faster level 1) is that I figured that "the need would arise" moderately often. In fact, it only did once in 2 years with level 1, and it has never with level 2.

Of course, if you have a long commute, level 1 will not cut it. But for the average driver, who averages 35 miles/day while the level 1 restores 50 miles/day, it is surprising how much the need does not arise.

However, for me, that just meant a visit to the supercharger 1/2 mile from my house the time I needed it, a luxury you don't have. So the adapter is nice, particularly as it will probably be about $200 plus card upgrade for some of us.
You act like this isn’t a needed option

Well, about 6 months ago got to work to find out the Superchargers were down and the car was at 15%. Leaving for 4 days, with vampire drain, not a good idea. Thank goodness I was able to run over to the EA charger and albeit inconvenient, used the Chademo adapter to bring it up to a reasonable level.

Just like you aren’t locked to one gas station with your ICE vehicle, neither should your Tesla be locked to one electricity provider.

If I hadn’t had the option could’ve been stuck unable to get to another supercharger

Just like you aren’t locked to one gas station with your ICE vehicle, neither should your Tesla be locked to one electricity provider.
I see it like diesel car anxiety.

As anyone who’s owned one of those knows, not every gas station sells diesel fuel. Yes, most do, they all should, but they don’t all have it. there comes a day in which you’re almost out in somewhere unfamiliar and surrounded by gas stations that don’t.

In our situation, SC’s are a bit worse as they are more spread apart than diesel gas stations.

Before I pull the trigger and let the car go to software 2022.12.3.1, has anyone had success with the Setec and this firmware.

Ever since my last firmware upgrade the Setec has not worked on both their firmware 164 and 164-1. Annoying, as it worked fine before that
I did some Setec (164-1) testing today with 22.8.3 and it worked fine on EA Signet, EA ABB and EVCS 50kw Tritium. I upgraded to 22.12.3.1 tonight and I can check if that changed anything in the next few days.

Tested the adapter today on Tesla FW 22.12.3.1 and the car threw the "Arc flash hazard" error but did not stop charging.

20220428_190332.jpg

Just bought one of these off eBay after spending a couple days in Pueblo, CO with no level 2 charger. Like another user, I have the "Charging adapter has electric arc flash hazard" warning but it's still charging (75A, 400V, 79% SoC). 2016 Model S 90D, Tesla firmware v11 2022.12.3.2 on upgraded infotainment unit.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Just bought one of these off eBay after spending a couple days in Pueblo, CO with no level 2 charger. Like another user, I have the "Charging adapter has electric arc flash hazard" warning but it's still charging (75A, 400V). Tesla firmware v11 2022.12.3.2
Hopefully this is a signal from Tesla that just providing the warning is enough to cover their ass without actually disabling the adapter.

Reactions: Big Earl
Just used my Setec adapter running 164-1 on 2022.12.3.2 on a charge point unit in Redding CA. Working just fine.
I'm testing mine tomorrow. 2021 MY. I'll post the results.

I also received my CCS adapter from Korea today. I'll post those results too. Going to a 350 kW charger, and planning on arriving with 20% battery and pre-conditioned.

Just bought one of these off eBay after spending a couple days in Pueblo, CO with no level 2 charger. Like another user, I have the "Charging adapter has electric arc flash hazard" warning but it's still charging (75A, 400V, 79% SoC). 2016 Model S 90D, Tesla firmware v11 2022.12.3.2 on upgraded infotainment unit.
Is the arc flash hazard "sparking" when you disconnect the device during a live charge session (instead of stopping it first)? Has this caused equipment damage (or personal injury) to a previous user? Guess I have not heard about it...

Just verified my SETEC CCS adapter still works fine. Charged MY on an EA 350kW station. SETEC pulled 46 kW at 70% State of Charge on my battery.

This is with firmware 164-1. My MY is 2022.8.3 software version.

Attachments

• SETEC Verification.jpg
    SETEC Verification.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 30
I am a bit baffled at why people are keeping their SETECs. Tesla fights to make them not work, but you can probably get $600 for it on ebay right now, and pick up a Korean adapter for $320. Is it because you (like me) have a car without the CCS chip and you absolutely need to charge that way? I'ts hard to think of other reasons to hang on to these. You could also buy a Korean CHAdeMO for around $400 and while a bit bulkier, it will do the same job though there are fewer CdM at EA stations.

I am a bit baffled at why people are keeping their SETECs. Tesla fights to make them not work, but you can probably get $600 for it on ebay right now, and pick up a Korean adapter for $320. Is it because you (like me) have a car without the CCS chip and you absolutely need to charge that way? I'ts hard to think of other reasons to hang on to these. You could also buy a Korean CHAdeMO for around $400 and while a bit bulkier, it will do the same job though there are fewer CdM at EA stations.
I just got my Korean adapter and tested it today, along with the SETEC. I tested the SETEC to verify that it works prior to putting it on eBay.

Reactions: masotime and kayak1