Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically I think the Setec is a $600 paperweight unless you want to live on the edge and make it a straight pass-thru adapter that works with CCS enabled cars... And even that sounds pretty risky and dangerous so prob not worth it.

Is anyone able to get this thing to work still? I've never had a successful charging session with mine (although I've only tested less than 10x or so at like 3 different locations)
I had success by doing the following steps, in order.

1) Activate charging station with charging station app
2) Power on SETEC adapter
3) Connect CCS1 cable to SETEC adapter
4) Insert into car
5) Begin charging session by using the charging station app

These steps have to be completed fairly quickly. It did take me a time or two to get it down.

(Pretty sure these are correct. I'm going from memory.)

It is supposed to work on the MS/MX at 80kW charge, according to the SETEC website. Do you have the adapter and is it not working for you?
Mine has never worked. closest I've gotten was the other day at an EA charger when it got past the payment authorization into charging then said "arc fault hazard" and the car said I needed to use different hardware. I'm wondering if those who are have success with the adapter (at this point after Tesla blocked it) are only M3/MY owners. It seems like everyone saying they can still use theirs are driving M3 or MY. Why there would be a difference and why Tesla would allow M3/MY and not MS/MX, I have no idea. The arc danger is there in all 4 models. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to blocking it on M3/MY's yet.... but it will happen some point soon in the future when they get around to it. not sure?

I guess a better question is - are there any Model S/X owners out there who are able to get this adapter to work on the latest Tesla FW's?

I had success by doing the following steps, in order.

1) Activate charging station with charging station app
2) Power on SETEC adapter
3) Connect CCS1 cable to SETEC adapter
4) Insert into car
5) Begin charging session by using the charging station app

These steps have to be completed fairly quickly. It did take me a time or two to get it down.

(Pretty sure these are correct. I'm going from memory.)
Thanks JonB. I'll admit in the beginning I think my problem was possibly procedural/sequence. This past time I did things in this order and got past payment authorization to the point where I was seeing voltages/amps, etc on the display (albeit at 0's) but it looked and sounded (clicks, etc) like charging was starting-ish but then my car made the obligatory beep, beep, beep, beep (error sound like when you try to drive with the door open and it throws it back in park) and I got the BMS_u030 "Charging adapter has electric arc flash hazard" error and it failed out completely.

1. Locate charge station in EA app
2. Plug CCS plug into setec (with setec adapter power off)
3. Plug setec into tesla (with setec adapter off)
4. Swipe to start charge in EA app.
5. Press button on setec to turn it on (green light lit)
6. Wait for everything to initiate and charging should begin

Thanks JonB. I'll admit in the beginning I think my problem was possibly procedural/sequence. This past time I did things in this order and got past payment authorization to the point where I was seeing voltages/amps, etc on the display (albeit at 0's) but it looked and sounded (clicks, etc) like charging was starting-ish but then my car made the obligatory beep, beep, beep, beep (error sound like when you try to drive with the door open and it throws it back in park) and I got the BMS_u030 "Charging adapter has electric arc flash hazard" error and it failed out completely.

1. Locate charge station in EA app
2. Plug CCS plug into setec (with setec adapter power off)
3. Plug setec into tesla (with setec adapter off)
4. Swipe to start charge in EA app.
5. Press button on setec to turn it on (green light lit)
6. Wait for everything to initiate and charging should begin
Those steps are slightly different than the ones I listed. Not sure that it matters, but could be worth one more try. If you get no success, you could verify that it works with a Model 3/Y and sell on EBay.

Mine has never worked. closest I've gotten was the other day at an EA charger when it got past the payment authorization into charging then said "arc fault hazard" and the car said I needed to use different hardware. I'm wondering if those who are have success with the adapter (at this point after Tesla blocked it) are only M3/MY owners. It seems like everyone saying they can still use theirs are driving M3 or MY. Why there would be a difference and why Tesla would allow M3/MY and not MS/MX, I have no idea. The arc danger is there in all 4 models. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to blocking it on M3/MY's yet.... but it will happen some point soon in the future when they get around to it. not sure?

I guess a better question is - are there any Model S/X owners out there who are able to get this adapter to work on the latest Tesla FW's?
Yes, I posted upthread that it works on my S running Tesla 2022.12.3.2. The "arc hazard" error does show up on the screen but it continues to charge. If the car stops charging with this error you need to update the Setec adapter to version 164-1.

Interesting. I'm on 2022.12.3.2 and Setec is on 164-1. I had "arc hazard" on the screen but it didn't charge.
I finally got around to testing the adapter on my 2014 Model S and had a similar experience to @GHammer. I was able to slowly charge at around 42-47kW (@ 5% SoC) but also received the warning for the arc flash.
I actually hadn't read this thread or knew about the error before hand so it was a little unsettling at first...

Versions
Firmware version: 164-1
Car version: 2022.12.3.2

Procedure
1. Turn on Setec adapter
2. Plug CCS into Setec
3. Wait 10 seconds
4. Plug Setec into car
5. Activate charging session

Attachments

• IMG_2261.jpg
    IMG_2261.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
The Setec adapter hasn't worked on my 2018 LRD Model 3 since 2022.8.2 which was the last working version, or at least on the AddEnergie SmartDC 50 kW chargers which are prevalent in this area (and the very reason I need this).

I'm not sure why other Model 3/Y owners aren't reporting this unless the FSD beta versions don't have the block yet.

The Setec/Lectron adapter is pretty much dead in the water now.

Setec firmware V164-1 with Tesla firmware 2022.12.1, 2022.12.3.1, and 2022.12.3.2 all fail with the "Charging adapter has electric arc flash hazard" error without charging.
arc.jpg

FWIW, yesterday I tested my Setec adapter with the V164-1 firmware at an EA site that has Signet hardware on my Model 3 running 2022.4.5.21 software, and had no problems. I only stayed for about 8 minutes, but that's long enough that if it would have cut off at all, I expect it would have by that time. I don't recall seeing the "electric arc flash hazard" warning. Also and FWIW, my car is old enough (a 2019 model) that it doesn't have native CCS capabilities, so I can't use Tesla's Korean CCS adapter, even if I had one.

FWIW, yesterday I tested my Setec adapter with the V164-1 firmware at an EA site that has Signet hardware on my Model 3 running 2022.4.5.21 software, and had no problems. I only stayed for about 8 minutes, but that's long enough that if it would have cut off at all, I expect it would have by that time. I don't recall seeing the "electric arc flash hazard" warning. Also and FWIW, my car is old enough (a 2019 model) that it doesn't have native CCS capabilities, so I can't use Tesla's Korean CCS adapter, even if I had one.
Don't update your Tesla firmware if you need the Setec adapter, as 2022.12.x blocks the Setec adapter now.

Any Mac users able to get the firmware loaded properly? After installing the drive when I click the Update file it’s just a bunch of gobbledegook text (where instead I should be able to choose a Serial Port I believe.

Mac issue? Or a ”Me” issue? :)

Oh I’m on FW 12.3.2 so feel free to tell me it’s pointless to try as Tesla has blocked the Setetc from working even if I do get the FW updated!

• Funny
Reactions: kayak1
Any Mac users able to get the firmware loaded properly? After installing the drive when I click the Update file it’s just a bunch of gobbledegook text (where instead I should be able to choose a Serial Port I believe.

Mac issue? Or a ”Me” issue? :)

Oh I’m on FW 12.3.2 so feel free to tell me it’s pointless to try as Tesla has blocked the Setetc from working even if I do get the FW updated!
Try different USB cables. I've found that this does make a difference. I demonstrated connectivity working with one cable and not with a different cable. Also, try a different USB port.

Reactions: Seattle Tom
The Setec adapter hasn't worked on my 2018 LRD Model 3 since 2022.8.2 which was the last working version, or at least on the AddEnergie SmartDC 50 kW chargers which are prevalent in this area (and the very reason I need this).

I'm not sure why other Model 3/Y owners aren't reporting this unless the FSD beta versions don't have the block yet.

The Setec/Lectron adapter is pretty much dead in the water now.

Setec firmware V164-1 with Tesla firmware 2022.12.1, 2022.12.3.1, and 2022.12.3.2 all fail with the "Charging adapter has electric arc flash hazard" error without charging.
View attachment 803892
That's exactly the error I get... with Use different charging equipment.

Thanks to all the MS/MX owners who are posting the adapter still working... I wonder if this has a little to do with the charger too? I don't have many CCS chargers close by me so testing isn't all that convenient - especially considering I don't drive to work any more.

EDIT: Or maybe it boils down to the procedure... I'll admit I got further when I went back, found someone who posted a procedure that worked and tried that.. didn't get it to charge but I got right up to the point of charging then error.

Last edited: