Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any Mac users able to get the firmware loaded properly? After installing the drive when I click the Update file it’s just a bunch of gobbledegook text (where instead I should be able to choose a Serial Port I believe.
There are a few issues here:
  • The packaging of the file was incompetent, and stripped the execute bit from the mac_updata_tool file. Before running it, you must add an execute bit. This can be done by launching a Terminal window, finding the appropriate directory (say, "cd ~/Desktop/updata_tool", if that's where it is), and then typing "chmod a+x mac_updata_tool". This problem greatly exacerbates the next two, since the solution is old-school Unix. (If there's a GUI way to do it, I don't know what it is.)
  • The Mac tool is incredibly primitive by modern GUI standards; it's an old-style text-mode program. This poses no problems if you're used to Unix systems from the 1970s, but many people today will be hopelessly lost by this program. Its use is documented in the readme.pdf file, so be sure to read it.
  • When run, you must specify the serial port to use. On my Mac, three options were presented, and the one that matched the example used in the readme.pdf file was the wrong one; I needed to choose what was option 1 for me ("wchusbserial1410"). YMMV on this detail.
I hope this helps!

Don't update your Tesla firmware if you need the Setec adapter, as 2022.12.x blocks the Setec adapter now.
There appears to be something else going on because several people, including myself have been able to use the adapter with 2022.12.x versions on both my S and 3, it is not summarily blocked. I Tried it again yesterday on a different EA 350kw ABB location with my 3 and get the same result, errors but continues to charge. Are the people having issues sure that they have the latest Setec firmware? I know it can be hard to tell.
20220518_203244.jpg

There appears to be something else going on because several people, including myself have been able to use the adapter with 2022.12.x versions on both my S and 3, it is not summarily blocked. I Tried it again yesterday on a different EA 350kw ABB location with my 3 and get the same result, errors but continues to charge. Are the people having issues sure that they have the latest Setec firmware? I know it can be hard to tell.View attachment 806258
I went out for another test today since we have a road trip coming this weekend that will put us in the middle of a DC charging desert in TN. Upgraded the adapter to latest v164-1.
Go to the closest EA station and followed this procedure:
1. Turn on Setec adapter
2. Plug CCS into Setec
3. Wait 10 seconds
4. Plug Setec into car
5. Activate charging session

Result:
I can see the charging screen in the car come up and hear the fans spin up on the EA unit momentarily. The voltage ramps up but 0's on amps and kW. Then I get an arc flash hazard error and my charging session stops.

Attachments

• PXL_20220519_195921189.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220519_195921189.MP.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20220519_195901538.jpg
    PXL_20220519_195901538.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20220519-155843.png
    Screenshot_20220519-155843.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20220519_195750703.jpg
    PXL_20220519_195750703.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
There appears to be something else going on because several people, including myself have been able to use the adapter with 2022.12.x versions on both my S and 3, it is not summarily blocked. I Tried it again yesterday on a different EA 350kw ABB location with my 3 and get the same result, errors but continues to charge. Are the people having issues sure that they have the latest Setec firmware? I know it can be hard to tell.View attachment 806258
GHammer, Are you on v164 or 164-1? I may slap 164 on mine for this weekend and try it here:

Last edited:
I am a bit baffled at why people are keeping their SETECs. Tesla fights to make them not work, but you can probably get $600 for it on ebay right now, and pick up a Korean adapter for $320. Is it because you (like me) have a car without the CCS chip and you absolutely need to charge that way? I'ts hard to think of other reasons to hang on to these. You could also buy a Korean CHAdeMO for around $400 and while a bit bulkier, it will do the same job though there are fewer CdM at EA stations.
cant get any chademo for $400. u can only find them on ebaly running at over $700+
My MX has no CCS installed. no hardware available on Tesla.

I have free SuC for life but want the CCS adapter for when we travel in areas were there are none (SuC), or where they are far away making the drive inefficient, or are just too busy to wait in line. The latter is especially concerning - with them making/selling more and more Teslas, lines are now forming and it is not the 5 minute wait (as at busy gas station pumps) but 30 minutes+. With the expansion of 'other' DCFC chargers, being able to charge 'anywhere' fast is becoming more important.

And about your other point - at least in the states I heard the SuC cost is less than competing EV charging stations, so I don't believe it is about losing money. And Tesla has said they were going to open up the chargers to everyone here as they have already started doing in some EA countries. I think they just see this as being low priority, unfortunately...
TSLA need to provide all TSLA owner w CCS adapter b4 opening up Super charger to everyone else. otherwise, w lose out on stations and will end up waiting on a non TSLA on a Supercharger.

V164 on an EA charger just worked for me. First time I've ever gotten this adapter to work. I went through the sequence pretty quickly.
1. Plug CCS into adapter.
2. Plug adapter into car
3. Used EA app to initiate charging
4. Hit button on adapter to power it on
Car made the error noise but is charging none the less!!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20220529_194325683.jpg
    PXL_20220529_194325683.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
V164 on an EA charger just worked for me. First time I've ever gotten this adapter to work. I went through the sequence pretty quickly.
1. Plug CCS into adapter.
2. Plug adapter into car
3. Used EA app to initiate charging
4. Hit button on adapter to power it on
Car made the error noise but is charging none the less!!!!
YES!!! I'm glad it finally worked!

Reactions: SeminoleFSU