Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setpoint for home charge (@50%) sets but then increases at random elapsed times.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About one month ago I realized that my usual 50% charge at home, 48amp, Tesla charger was NOT staying at 50%, but instead was re-setting the charge endpoint at variable times after I set the 50% as the limit. I use TeslaFi, and had 4 other apps related to Tesla charging to help me locate alternate charges for a drive between Austin and Taos for a ski trip.
I first made sure the locator apps were uninstalled on my Samsung Note phone, and that 50% was the saved setting in TeslaFi. I would then CLOSE teslaFi on my laptop as a just in case, so that only the screen in the car and my assigned cell phone were in touch with the car. I set the charge limit in the car AFTER plugging in, and shut down and rebooted my phone without loading the Tesla app. Loading the App about 5 hours later shows that it's charged up to 70%. So I push the charge limit on the app DOWN to 50%, leaving an excess of about 20% charged. In just 10 minutes, the app resets the limit UP to 70% again. Now, the TeslaFi has been and IS set to 50% and 48amp. I suspect at this point the last update I got is somehow wonky. (2022.12.3.12) . In addition, every morning commute at 6:30am to my pharmacy about 40 miles away, if I choose to FSD, within 5 minutes I get a COLLISION ALERT, due to nothing in the way but perhaps a shadow on the street at <40 mph. Which apparently dings my safety score as well. I wash the car at least weekly and hand-dry with cleanfresh microfiber towels, particular attention to every camera location so the cameras can "see" well. Back to the charging problem, which is really frustrating. Until this started happpening I was seeing a chart of my battery life compared to all other Y models at my mileage, where my battery statistic was significantly better than 90+ % of all other Ys. Because this sliding scale charging has started pushing me up to 100% at times, all on its own, my chart is showing a distinct drop towards "everyone else". So I have uninstalled every charge locator app, unloaded TeslaFi from my browser when I leave work, and STILL the charge limit setting keeps resetting itself up and up. I now have Alexa set an alarm based on the estimate the Tesla app gives me of how long to charge to 50%, and then get up and go downstairs and UNPLUG the freakin' charger so it won't overcharge me beyond 50%. (50% gives me a 30 to 40 mile cushion for my daily roundtrip commute).
I can tell the app to STOP CHARGING, move the limit point back down from 70 or 80% that it snuck up to, to 50%, and even then after 10 minutes or 15 minutes it resets itself back up to a point beyond the current charge level. It did NOT used to do this, but AFAIK I have done nothing on my end to cause this, other than allow the updates to happen. The only other recent idiosyncracy I have is that I used to be able to vent the windows in the morning at work, and they would stay open all day. Today being a typical central Texas day, the vents closed at some point in the morning after I got busy as a pharmacist, and when I checked it late in the afternoon (12 hour shifts) it was 145 degrees inside and the vent setting was CLOSED. <sigh>
ANYONE else experiencing charging that won't behave and stop at the original setting in the dashboard or in the Tesla App? Anything else sound familiar? Suggestions? Is there a log I can dig into that will iterate WHAT triggers a change in the "charge limit" setting? Love my Tesla, but....

This may not help with your charge limit problem I don't think, but I see a misunderstanding I see in several threads that may help with diagnosing some things at some point in the future.
I would then CLOSE teslaFi on my laptop as a just in case, so that only the screen in the car and my assigned cell phone were in touch with the car.
That's not relevant and isn't how that works. It is not your laptop or the app on it that are talking to the car and telling it to do things. It is the TeslaFI servers that do that. The app on your laptop is merely a communication link to tell the TeslaFI servers things in case you want to make changes to what they are doing. Closing the app or the laptop is just cutting off your communication to their servers so you can't make changes, but it doesn't stop their servers from continuing to tell your car whatever you had set up to do.

An apt analogy is like if you call your bank on the phone to set up some recurring payments to some place. And then you are surprised that these things are still going on from your bank account even through your phone is hung up or turned off. Well it wasn't actually the PHONE doing it. You just used that to talk to the bank to set it up. The bank will still do whatever you set up even after the phone call is disconnected.

So as people have mentioned in many threads here, if you're trying to troubleshoot what external apps may or may not be doing things to your car, the way to really set that is to log into your Tesla account on their website, and change your password. Then all external logins will fail and stop telling the car things. That is how you can cut them off to eliminate variables to figure out where weird car behavior is coming from.

Reactions: BnGrm
As far as the collision alert, make sure you have the climate control set to Auto and your preferred temperature. If you drive with the windows cracked open and the HVAC turned off (especially in the early A.M.) you may be saving a few cents worth of electricity but by turning off the HVAC system the Tesla Model Y is not able to lower the humidity in the passenger cabin. In some cases this leads to condensation inside the cameras (especially the B pillar repeater cameras) that may trigger false collision alerts. The easiest way to avoid this is to leave the HVAC system in Auto and set the cabin temperature to 72F.

So as people have mentioned in many threads here, if you're trying to troubleshoot what external apps may or may not be doing things to your car, the way to really set that is to log into your Tesla account on their website, and change your password. Then all external logins will fail and stop telling the car things. That is how you can cut them off to eliminate variables to figure out where weird car behavior is coming from.
Thanks very much for your reply - have changed PW, set charge to 50%, and will see if it starts behaving. I've waited about 15 minutes to post this, and the setpoint has not changed. Maybe? :)

As far as the collision alert, make sure you have the climate control set to Auto and your preferred temperature. If you drive with the windows cracked open and the HVAC turned off (especially in the early A.M.) you may be saving a few cents worth of electricity but by turning off the HVAC system the Tesla Model Y is not able to lower the humidity in the passenger cabin. In some cases this leads to condensation inside the cameras (especially the B pillar repeater cameras) that may trigger false collision alerts. The easiest way to avoid this is to leave the HVAC system in Auto and set the cabin temperature to 72F.
<grin> I am in central Texas. Windows are ALWAYS up to keep the cedar pollen out and the AC is always on at about 68 degrees. Well, not when a norther is blowing through in the winter time, but AC is needed part of the time throughout the winter. I'm wondering if one camera does have water in it from car wash. When I view the image through each camera, though, it is clear and not "dirty" looking. It is odd that the collision alert seems to only happen once per drive/commute, and during the first 15 or 20 minutes, although sometimes happens in the first two minutes. Nobody on the road with me, no deer, no obvious reason for it to trigger. Odd. Oh, and I also run an AC unit in garage to keep it below 90 degrees. :) Thanks for your suggestion.