Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting Charge Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read that you can set in the Model S the start and end time the car should start charging when you plug it in at home. If you set a schedule, how does it know that the schedule should only be applicable at home vs on the road charging at a super charger / charging station? Do you have to manually turn it on and off in that situation?

I read that you can set in the Model S the start and end time the car should start charging when you plug it in at home. If you set a schedule, how does it know that the schedule should only be applicable at home vs on the road charging at a super charger / charging station? Do you have to manually turn it on and off in that situation?

The start charging time setting is GPS based so it only comes into effect at the location where you set it, typically your home location, so don't worry about it if you plug in elsewhere. It doesn't apply to supercharging at all--you couldn't set a start charging time for a supercharger if you wanted to. The car is smart in this regard, knowing that you would only want to delay charging at home not while you're on the road!

I read that you can set in the Model S the start and end time...

Just to clarify, you can only specify a START time, not an END time. You can set the charging amps to any value at or below the capacity of the adapter you're using, and you can control the level you want the car to charge to in a range between 50% and 100%.

In addition to the start time being saved by GPS location, the charging amps are also saved. The level of charge is universal and not saved by location.

... unfortunately. I'd like this also to be geo-fenced. Am I alone in that, or have others got the same desire? (As to why, I prefer to leave a little headroom for opportunity charging if I find myself in a parking lot with "free" charging when I'm out and about.)

I agree that it would make sense to store this setting by location as well. For locations that are not stored, the car could just default to the maximum daily value (90%) sort of like how the charging amps will do.