Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting Falcon Wing Doors to Fully Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ormond

Endless Peacock
Jul 10, 2016
Central Florida
i took delivery of my Tesla yesterday and later in the day was showing the X to my neighbor. I had the car in the driveway. When I opened the falcon wing doors (FWD), they only opened to 3/4 height. I don't have any trees nearby.

I was able to go to my touchscreen and open the door fully. I looked at the owners manual, and found this:
You can choose whether falcon wing doors open partially or fully. Using the touchscreen, touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Door Open Mode.

I don't see that setting with the Version 8.0 software. Has it moved?

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: rush6410
i took delivery of my Tesla yesterday and later in the day was showing the X to my neighbor. I had the car in the driveway. When I opened the falcon wing doors (FWD), they only opened to 3/4 height. I don't have any trees nearby.

I was able to go to my touchscreen and open the door fully. I looked at the owners manual, and found this:
You can choose whether falcon wing doors open partially or fully. Using the touchscreen, touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Door Open Mode.

I don't see that setting with the Version 8.0 software. Has it moved?

Thanks!
No, there is nothing in settings, but there is an override option on the "Doors" view in Controls.
When you override the door to open fully, a balloon tip will show up in the display to say "Always open fully at this location" or something like that.
This is GPS based and is useful for garages that have enough clearance.

The problem with this setting for me, is that it's all or nothing, both doors open fully or not. Because it is just GPS based and does not consider, did you back into this spot or pull forward, etc. I would love for Tesla to provide an override on a per door/side basis if I back into my garage open this door fully, if I pull forward in my garage open the other door fully.
I actually think it is crap that they default to opening 3/4 of the way just because they could not get obstacle detection working properly. (Still hopeful for future software upgrades to take care of this.)

First the option to open in umbrella / full on the screen is removed since 8.0 or before.

Were you parked inside your garage before showing your neighbor on the driveway? Do you have a low ceiling garage that your FWD can't fully open inside the garage? If so, that's the reason.

When you are parked inside the garage, the car remembers that the doors are not safe to fully open. So even if you are outside on your driveway, it still opens in umbrella mode based on GPS location despite the absent of any obstacles. Now you can do the override it to open fully and press the button to always open fully at this location. However, do remember that this setting will also carry over when your car is inside the garage due to the close proximity. Luckily, the doors will still sense the low ceiling and will not open fully blindly, in fact it will even open more conservatively. In my case the doors will only open half way (not even 3/4).

As stated, its on the doors popup or menu, it'll be in the top center as small text only, after you hold on each door to force them to 100%. You have to hold each door button the first time until fully open, another few seconds or so, and then you'll see the text.

Just be very careful using this. As stated, GPS is not accurate down to exact spot, thus if you can't open in your garage/small space due to it sensing a roof above or pole, etc, and you back out and force open where its clear nearby an set to always fully open, when you pull back in just close by it'll ignore the sensor obstruction inside and hit that door/pole. GPS seems to be accurate for the doors and suspsension height down to around 25-50 feet I've noticed.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
If you're going to have the X for a long time, and your garage has height above the garage door/opener, it might be worth looking into raising the rails. We had a high lift conversion done and it was so worth it on many levels. The doors and rails are now over 8ft high.

No, there is nothing in settings, but there is an override option on the "Doors" view in Controls.
When you override the door to open fully, a balloon tip will show up in the display to say "Always open fully at this location" or something like that.
This is GPS based and is useful for garages that have enough clearance.

The problem with this setting for me, is that it's all or nothing, both doors open fully or not. Because it is just GPS based and does not consider, did you back into this spot or pull forward, etc. I would love for Tesla to provide an override on a per door/side basis if I back into my garage open this door fully, if I pull forward in my garage open the other door fully.
I actually think it is crap that they default to opening 3/4 of the way just because they could not get obstacle detection working properly. (Still hopeful for future software upgrades to take care of this.)

• Helpful
Reactions: vrykolas and Ormond
As stated, its on the doors popup or menu, it'll be in the top center as small text only, after you hold on each door to force them to 100%. You have to hold each door button the first time until fully open, another few seconds or so, and then you'll see the text.

Just be very careful using this. As stated, GPS is not accurate down to exact spot, thus if you can't open in your garage/small space due to it sensing a roof above or pole, etc, and you back out and force open where its clear nearby an set to always fully open, when you pull back in just close by it'll ignore the sensor obstruction inside and hit that door/pole. GPS seems to be accurate for the doors and suspsension height down to around 25-50 feet I've noticed.
In my experience, once you pull back inside the garage, the sensors still work. I have mine set to always open fully on the driveway and once inside he garage, it opens half way based on my low garage ceiling being detected.

Just because it's set to open fully at the location it does not do so blindly. However, always be ready to intervene manually if you attempt to try this. I am not responsible for any damages caused.

In my experience, once you pull back inside the garage, the sensors still work. I have mine set to always open fully on the driveway and once inside he garage, it opens half way based on my low garage ceiling being detected.

Just because it's set to open fully at the location it does not do so blindly. However, always be ready to intervene manually if you attempt to try this. I am not responsible for any damages caused.

Thanks too, this is good to hear. Been almost too scared to try this but think I will now, and at least be ready first time. I'd prefer this was as I do back out to let people get in the back, and it would be nice if they always open fully then.

-T

If you're going to have the X for a long time, and your garage has height above the garage door/opener, it might be worth looking into raising the rails. We had a high lift conversion done and it was so worth it on many levels. The doors and rails are now over 8ft high.
Hope to drive our X until the wheels fall off (or more likely the doors).
In that light, all I need is to change my garage door opener to a jackshaft opener like this https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-3800-Residential-Jackshaft-Garage/dp/B000MT7WV4

It is the body/motor housing of the current opener that prevents the doors from opening all the way.

In our case the tracks and door could contact the FWD in certain situations and car positions.

Our quote for converting to jackshaft opener (we did the LM 8500) and also doing a high lift conversion, to put all the gear at almost 9 feet high, was almost entirely the jackshaft expense. So for a little extra money we went ahead and did both as one project.

Now even if the car is in the highest suspension setting, there's no possibility of contacting anything above at 100% opening height.

Peace of mind :)

Hope to drive our X until the wheels fall off (or more likely the doors).
In that light, all I need is to change my garage door opener to a jackshaft opener like this https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-3800-Residential-Jackshaft-Garage/dp/B000MT7WV4

It is the body/motor housing of the current opener that prevents the doors from opening all the way.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I've got the problem that the FWD does NOT open fully the next time after the text was displayed that it will do this always at this location.

Do I have to press another botton to save the location where it has to open fully?

Thx for help...
Are there obstacles being detected at that saved location? Just because you set it fully open at the location, it doesn't do it blindly.

Are there obstacles being detected at that saved location? Just because you set it fully open at the location, it doesn't do it blindly.

Thanks for your answer!
Yes, there are obstacles (ceiling) being detected, but there is enough room to open fully and I want it to do it every time at this location. If this is not possible, why do they display the message "always open on this location"?
But if it is possible how can I do this?

Usually what happens is that as you enter a garage, you cross under a low door opening. Often that is around 7' or less. The car intelligently sets the "known height" to that and "remembers" it. This is to prevent the door from crashing into "hard to sense" objects like support beams for parking garages. The car remembers that it saw something low, and so it opens the doors only partially in case that object it saw is irregularly shaped and is in the way even though the sensors are saying everything is clear.

What "open fully at this location" does is to override the above behavior. Instead of remembering the recently-encountered low obstruction, the car will open the doors as if it never saw that object. If the car is now in a place where there is ample room above it, that means the doors will open fully. If the car is in a place with _some_ obstructions that it can detect, the doors will still open partially. But, they'll open only according to the "live" sensor readings, not the stored readings.

Basically, this option is poorly labeled. But, it is hard to explain it in a few words, as I've proven above with that rambling attempt. Let me try to summarize:

1. Car normally opens doors according to current sensor data AND recent sensor data. That can make it open partially in an all-clear situation if the car has just passed an obstruction.

2. Always Open Fully makes the car open the doors based only on the current sensor data. This can cause the door to hit an irregularly-shaped (difficult to detect) object above it, which is what #1 above is designed to prevent.

Thanks for the detailed descripton mal,

I took delivery of my MX last week. Really researching this FWD situation since it's behavior seems so off.

What is the use case (or the reason why) it's ever useful to look at recent sensor settings? It's not like most of us move the car once the doors are open.

Thanks for the detailed descripton mal,

I took delivery of my MX last week. Really researching this FWD situation since it's behavior seems so off.

What is the use case (or the reason why) it's ever useful to look at recent sensor settings? It's not like most of us move the car once the doors are open.

I can share one reason why I keep “fully open” off, my garage door opens low and would slam into the FWD if fully open. I like that the FWD will maintain the lower height inside my garage, regardless if the garage door is open or not, just in case I accidentally open the garage door and bye bye FWD.