Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting "Home" in the Nav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
Is there a way of doing it from a point on the map rather than entering an address?

The reason I ask is that the car park in my building is in a slightly different place to where it thinks the address is. This is a problem as sentry mode won't switch off when I'm "home" because the car doesn't think I am.

I've tried setting my car park spot as a favourite so sentry mode will switch off but it doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way of doing it from a point on the map rather than entering an address?

The reason I ask is that the car park in my building is in a slightly different place to where it thinks the address is. This is a problem as sentry mode won't switch off when I'm "home" because the car doesn't think I am.

I've tried setting my car park spot as a favourite so sentry mode will switch off but it doesn't seem to work.

Cant you set home as current location?

I thought it had an option to use the current location as home? It was months ago but I'm sure I didn't set home location with an address when I got the car.

You can navigate to dropped pins so maybe you can drop a pin on the map at your current location and set that as your home location?
I tried that. I could set as a favorite but not as home (even when I deleted home so had nothing set).

What is confusing is I have sentry mode to exclude favourite locations but it still switches on.

My M3 pro-actively asked me if I wanted to set my current location as home after I’d parked in the same spot at home for several days. So maybe if you clear your current home entry and then wait for a few days it might do the same. Presuming you regularly park at home of course.

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
I moved my home position this morning so this is from memory...

Drop a pin on the map - I think this was by pressing and holding down the position on the map.
It should pop up a box with the name of the location and a heart shaped icon Click the heart to add to Favourites.
Go to Favourites in the Navigation menu. IIRC there's an option to SET AS HOME there. Click on SET AS HOME and you'll be prompted to add an address - HOWEVER, the first item on the list of addresses is the location you just added. Select that and home should be set as your current location.

EDIT. I'll do it again and take photos if this didn't work for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Adopado and Acps110
I moved my home position this morning so this is from memory...

Drop a pin on the map - I think this was by pressing and holding down the position on the map.
It should pop up a box with the name of the location and a heart shaped icon Click the heart to add to Favourites.
Go to Favourites in the Navigation menu. IIRC there's an option to SET AS HOME there. Click on SET AS HOME and you'll be prompted to add an address - HOWEVER, the first item on the list of addresses is the location you just added. Select that and home should be set as your current location.

EDIT. I'll do it again and take photos if this didn't work for you.
Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow when I next head out! Hopefully it'll work

The only reason i've ever justified for not setting a sat nav "home" location is that I keep all my keys together, so if I were to drop them and someone pinched my car, then they could drive to my house and fill my car up with my stuff.....nasty thought that.

I want the sentry mode option though so maybe I'll just have to split my keys....can see that going wrong for a while until I get used to it.

The only reason i've ever justified for not setting a sat nav "home" location is that I keep all my keys together, so if I were to drop them and someone pinched my car, then they could drive to my house and fill my car up with my stuff.....nasty thought that.

I want the sentry mode option though so maybe I'll just have to split my keys....can see that going wrong for a while until I get used to it.
Pin to Drive helps a bit here.

The thieves may still be able to access your car and see your address in the sat nav but at least the Tesla will be useless as a get away vehicle.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
>>The only reason i've ever justified for not setting a sat nav "home" location is that I keep all my keys together, so if I were to drop them and someone pinched my car, then they could drive to my house and fill my car up with my stuff.....nasty thought that.<<

Exactly! When I used the word "hacked" I really meant "broke into"!. Of course they'd have to get around my PIN but these days the creeps can do almost anything, aided by the interwebnetthingy.

Last edited by a moderator:
>>The only reason i've ever justified for not setting a sat nav "home" location is that I keep all my keys together, so if I were to drop them and someone pinched my car, then they could drive to my house and fill my car up with my stuff.....nasty thought that.<<

Exactly! When I used the word "hacked" I really meant "broke into"!. Of course they'd have to get around my PIN but these days the creeps can do almost anything, aided by the interwebnetthingy.
I think you guys give thieves far too much credit.

Reactions: init6 and Neilio

Do you have a burglar alarm? (don't answer this if it's a no :)) If burglars got my keys they'd still need to know the code for the burglar alarm.