Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setting max cruise control to actual speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of Model 3. Became alarmed and disturbed when I engaged autopilot cruise control at 65 mph with speed limit shown as 75mph. Instead of respecting my current speed as maximum it used the speed limit as maximum. After reading the documentation I have figured out a way to have the system set the maximum speed to my actual speed all the time. Clicking the relative speed box, set an offset of -20 in the autopilot setup screen. So now as an example the speed limit is 65 and you engage autopilot while driving at say 50 mph, the maximum will be 50mph. That is because your current speed of 50mph is greater than the speed limit of 65 minus the offset of 20. I have tested this on many roads and the car always uses my current speed as the maximum rather than the speed limit.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Leeclanual
There may be a problem with your car. I have had mine since April; have never used the offset setting; and car Always stays at current speed when I engage cruise control.

Probably because you always engage it when you are over or at the speed limit. If you engage when you are over, it will stay at your speed. If you engage when it is under, it will put the max at the speed limit (unless you change the default offset from 0 mph to something else).

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUGZIN
I actually set mine to +10. Since most of the freeway speed limit is 65 here, my max is usually 75 mph which is the average freeway speed of most cars here unless there is traffic.
My goal, achieved with an offset of -20, is to have my current speed (the speed when I engage cruise control) whether it be above or below the speed limit to be respected by my car as the maximum. Your approach will not allow your current speed (the speed when you engage autopilot) to become the maximum speed unless your current speed is equal or greater than the speed limit plus 10mph.

Probably because you always engage it when you are over or at the speed limit. If you engage when you are over, it will stay at your speed. If you engage when it is under, it will put the max at the speed limit (unless you change the default offset from 0 mph to something else).

Not trying to argue; but this isn't the case for me. Regardless of whether I am below, at, or above the speed limit when engaging cruise control - the speed locks in at speed I'm at.

That pretty much has to be the reason. The OP's issue is a known and acknowledged bug that tesla has stated that they're going to fix. If it's not happening for plugzin then either he doesn't have EAP (despite having it listed in his/her sig) or there's something wrong with his/her car.

That pretty much has to be the reason. The OP's issue is a known and acknowledged bug that tesla has stated that they're going to fix. If it's not happening for plugzin then either he doesn't have EAP (despite having it listed in his/her sig) or there's something wrong with his/her car.

Oh I see that makes sense. If he doesn't have TACC that only comes with EAP, it will just be regular CC which has to obey the speed you set because it won't slow down if there is a car in front!

This is wonderful--thanks so much! I read at length a discussion of how dangerous it is to turn on when it plans to go at a much higher speed than you're currently going--think SCHOOL ZONE, or wrong speed limit info. The main street I use near my home has info showing the speed limit 10 MPH higher than the actual speed limit. I can see it's going to set at 55 even though 45 is the limit, but there's no way to lower it without turning it on first--you have to act fast as the car is rapidly accelerating. I would much rather have it come on at the current speed, then I can turn it UP to increase my speed in case I turned it on when not going as fast as I want (ie in traffic).

Just for the record; I have had EAP including TACC since Day One! Does anyone here think that someone who spent $56K plus sales tax doesn't know how his or her vehicle is equipped?

I can't explain why my cruise control works differently than your experience; it just does! I'm currently on what I think is the latest firmware version - 2018.50.5; but perhaps there is a later version that I haven't received yet. Maybe Tesla changed some hardware between April and now that affects how cruise control works even with the same firmware version. Or maybe after the next firmware update I receive; my cruise control will act as your does. If it does; I appreciate the information on using offset that some of you mentioned to work around that condition. I only initially responded to try to be helpful. This is the last post of mine on this thread. Wishing all of you the best; safe and happy driving.

Just for the record; I have had EAP including TACC since Day One! Does anyone here think that someone who spent $56K plus sales tax doesn't know how his or her vehicle is equipped?

I can't explain why my cruise control works differently than your experience; it just does! .

it's not that yours is different from someone elses experience.

It's that yours is different from not just everyone elses experience, but also the way the owners manual explicitly says it should work

If your car does not work as the manual says it should (or as anyone elses does) you might want to let your service center take a look at that.

• Disagree
I can't explain why my cruise control works differently than your experience; it just does!
I actually think your car is fine; I suspect you may be missing some of the nuance of what we're describing. The issue that tesla has acknowledged as a bug is fairly complicated, and I don't think it's been stated clearly in this thread.

So - assuming you've got the speed warning stuff turned off, no offsets set, all that, and have a EAP equipped car. And you're driving down a road, and the speed limit is 45 mph. And the car also thinks this, and the little speed limit sign is displayed to the right of the cruise control speed as 45 MPH (this is important - if there's no speed limit sign displayed, it'll work normally). If you are driving 35, and engage CC, the car will set the cruising speed at 45 mph, not the 35 you are driving at, and your car will start to accelerate to 45 mph.

Try this - and make sure you've pushed all the buttons in the above paragraph. Of course it doesn't have to be 45 mph; anything that's faster than the speed you are driving will work. If your car still stays at the speed you're driving, then all hail your car! I want mine to work that way. Mine doesn't.

As I mentioned, after a lot of experimentation with this, I sent a lengthy bug report about it to tesla support, and their initial response was that no, it doesn't work that way, it engages at the speed you're driving just like every other car. I replied back - "have you actually tried this in a model 3, and not the model S you're probably driving?". They then sent me a fairly apologetic response, explaining that the original respondent wasn't the right person who should have responded, and that yes, this is a known bug, and that yes, it will be fixed eventually. That was some 3 months ago, I'm surprised a fart app got precedent.

While sducks description of how the car behaves is accurate I'm a bit baffled by his report Tesla claimed it was a bug.

The behavior he describes is how the owners manual says it's supposed to work.

This is on page 67 of the owners manual for the Model 3-

Tesla owners manual said:
To set the cruising speed, move the cruise control lever fully down once then release. This sets the cruising speed to the detected speed limit (plus any offset you've specified using Speed Assist as described in Controlling Speed Assist on page 89) or your current driving speed, whichever is greater.

In other words, per the manual- it's working exactly as intended.

Kind of the opposite of a bug, even if it's weird compared to most other active cruise systems.

In other words, per the manual- it's working exactly as intended.

Kind of the opposite of a bug, even if it's weird compared to most other active cruise systems.

I agree that it would be weird for Tesla to say that it is a bug when it is working as described in the manual. The problem I see with the intended usage is that some street does not have speed limit showing on the screen. So for those streets, it will stay at the speed at the time you engage the cruise control even if you are under.

Yes I know, that's a contradiction. The unintended consequences of this "feature" is unintended acceleration, which can be a safety issue, another thing they acknowledged. If you know it's going to happen, then you can adjust your usage accordingly. But if you're like most drivers and didn't read it or only glanced over this section, or haven't used it yet, it can be a surprise, and perhaps with bad consequences.

Reactions: DR61
Yes I know, that's a contradiction. The unintended consequences of this "feature" is unintended acceleration, which can be a safety issue, another thing they acknowledged. If you know it's going to happen, then you can adjust your usage accordingly. But if you're like most drivers and didn't read it or only glanced over this section, or haven't used it yet, it can be a surprise, and perhaps with bad consequences.

really the only bad consequence would be a speeding ticket if the speed limit data is wrong, since the system won't accelerate to a higher speed than another car in front of you regardless of what the set speed is.

The easy fix (until/unless they add reading speed limit signs) is the -20 offset that has been mentioned, which then makes it work like everyone elses system by just setting it to current speed.