TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Setting max speed limit while driving

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by radboud, Jan 1, 2020.

?

Do you want a feature to help you regard speed limits when you want it?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    46.9%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. radboud

radboud Member

Hi, I just sold my Volvo V60 plug-in hybride and got a Model 3. I love Tesla’s take on the concept ‘car’. It allows for more and more features to become available over time.

One of the features I liked in the Volvo and am missing in the M3 is being able to set a max speed while driving inside city limits. It allows you to drive normally, use the brakes and accelerate, but it would simply not allow you to exceed the set limit, no matter how deep you pressed the gas pedal.

This allowed me not to worry about my heavy right foot and keep all my attention on traffic And potentially crossing children chasing balls or whatever (and not partly on preventing myself from speeding).

It could be as simple as tapping the speed limit sign in the screen.
    Or fully automatic as a setting and adapt the max with changing limits on various roads.

As an option, not as a must. It would help me.

• Disagree x 1
  2. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

Yeah dont need a speed nanny. Fully capable of observing the speed limit.......when i want to. But i like options too. And if it would help you then why not.

3. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Nope. Never know when I might need to run from the cops or chase someone down. I live a life of adventure, you see.

• Funny x 4
  4. Gondi63

Gondi63 Member

Not quite this, but yeah, I stay in Sport mode because I've gotten used to having the acceleration available if I need/want it.

5. Need

Need Active Member

Doesn't autopilot option screen has a speed limit chime option? I never turned it on so I don't know if it only works in AP or regular driving also.

6. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

Yep, and also has a different option in the app.

7. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

App->Controls->Speed limit mode. You can set max speed as low as 50 mph.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

Yeah but it is only a visual, or audible warning.

It does not cap the vehicle speed.

On BMW the control of it mirrors cruise control - meaning it is easy to toggle and control, just like CC, without having to configure within a menu.

It would be especially handy in a Tesla where acceleration is too quiet and stealthy. You can easily exceed speed limits without noticing it.

• Disagree x 1
  9. Gondi63

Gondi63 Member

The App does. Controls > Speed Limit Mode -- set your speed limit.

• Like x 1
  10. Candleflame

Candleflame Active Member

you are in the usa where speeding has a different meaning. in Aus its supereasy to get a ticket when you i.e. drive 32 or 33 in a 30 zone.

11. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

You mean the phone app?

If so, that's another level disconnect.

12. Kilotango74

In CA if your not going 5-10 over the posted limit your getting passed like your a 90 year old grandma with her walker. It also usually doesn't matter what lane you are in either. I do love Australia though, I was lucky enough to spend some time in Perth and Hobart several different times while I was in the Navy. Back when i was a ICE gear head I was always jealous of the cars you guys had down there. Ford and Holden always had great models that we could not get in the US.

13. Candleflame

look, im from europe and we all know that the australian demerit system and speed limits are completely flawed but we gotta work with what we have. a speed limiter would be great.
    Tbh I see it as a pay to use tax anyway. Driving here is much cheaper than in Europe.

14. Kilotango74

I can understand that.

15. Gondi63

Gondi63 Member

Yep, phone app -- It turns on chill mode, shows you on the car screen when you're approaching the limit and alerts on the phone if the limit is approached.

16. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

Ah okay. What would be useful is to set and configure it on the fly. For when you don't have predetermined limit. When you drive on rural highways and it passes through frequent 50 or 70kmh zones.

If roads are empty, cruise is fine.

If there are stop signs, turnabouts, light traffic, etc, where you need to manually accelerate and decelerate, having a cap is nice

17. afadeev

afadeev Member

Good.
    I can think of a dozen+ scenarios where being unable to accelerate out of an unsafe traffic situation would be undesirable and perilous.

German automakers had toyed with the idea of "max speed" setting, but all have abandoned it, or disable it for the North American market.
    It's just dumb.

Too bad Volvo, aka Geely, still has it.

Take responsibility for your own action, and don't blame the car for what your right foot is doing!

a

• Like x 2
  18. Candleflame

My dads BMW 5 series has it. It's a LIM labeled button which is on the cruise control and works great to avoid pesky speed tickets.
    It wouldn't be very useful in the USA I must admit.

19. Gondi63

Gondi63 Member

Here's what it looks like in case anyone is curious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. eevee-fan

eevee-fan Active Member

With EV, it is especially hard to realize how fast you are going, without having to specifically look at the speedometer. I drive the Bolt EV, it allows me to set it to beep when I exceed a certain speed. I have it set to 65mph.

• Like x 2